2010 Cup edition Jetta TDI Tune from Malone

Downerman

TDI
2010 Jetta Cup Edition
Well I did it. I broke down and just figured I would roll the dice. After many emails with Mark, we agreed on a day and I pulled out the ECU (I can help anyone with this as it is tricky). Shipped it out Fed-X and got it back one day late (Not Marks issue but US Customs). Installed the ECU back into the car, waited a few minutes before I started it and then let it idle for a few more.

Took the car out for a spin (I live in the coutry where we have beautiful twistie roads - Central coast of California). No error codes, no warning lights, the car idled perfectly and drove just like it always did down my road I share with my neighbors. Here's where the story get good. 1st gear... wow had some more pep... Second gear... whoa nice... third gear ... holy crap this sucker pulls hard.... 4th gear.... raped ape. THIS IS HOW VW should have done this car. It's a smooth wonderful ride but when you put your foot into it... well quite simply, it goes and nicely I will add. The power band is exceptional ... in fact it's a completely different car and I cannot stress that it's FAR better than stock.

No, I'm not on the payroll, I didn't know MArk until I made contact a few weeks ago. What I can also say is Mark ALWAYS gets back to my emails. Never left me hangning on any questions and was more than helpful.

I will be putting the car through it's paces over the next few months and I would be happy to keep all of you posted. For the recrod, my car has 5000 miles on it.. I LOVE THIS TUNE....

email me if you have questions.

icadave@mbay.net

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Well I did it. I broke down and just figured I would roll the dice. After many emails with Mark, we agreed on a day and I pulled out the ECU (I can help anyone with this as it is tricky). Shipped it out Fed-X and got it back one day late (Not Marks issue but US Customs). Installed the ECU back into the car, waited a few minutes before I started it and then let it idle for a few more.

Took the car out for a spin (I live in the coutry where we have beautiful twistie roads - Central coast of California). No error codes, no warning lights, the car idled perfectly and drove just like it always did down my road I share with my neighbors. Here's where the story get good. 1st gear... wow had some more pep... Second gear... whoa nice... third gear ... holy crap this sucker pulls hard.... 4th gear.... raped ape. THIS IS HOW VW should have done this car. It's a smooth wonderful ride but when you put your foot into it... well quite simply, it goes and nicely I will add. The power band is exceptional ... in fact it's a completely different car and I cannot stress that it's FAR better than stock.

No, I'm not on the payroll, I didn't know MArk until I made contact a few weeks ago. What I can also say is Mark ALWAYS gets back to my emails. Never left me hangning on any questions and was more than helpful.

I will be putting the car through it's paces over the next few months and I would be happy to keep all of you posted. For the recrod, my car has 5000 miles on it.. I LOVE THIS TUNE....

email me if you have questions.

icadave@mbay.net

+1 for Malone :)

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
yeah i can remember when i thought tune and nozzles felt amazing after all the other mods ive done still the best feeling is going from a stock car to a tuned car especially one with marks tune which seems to give so much more power at the top end of the rev range than most

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Congrads on a Great tune!! Do you intend to dyno the car? Any feel how much HP and torque it has?

I am thinking of eventually upgrading to the next gen TDI and would love to know how much these cars put out.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
....and I pulled out the ECU (I can help anyone with this as it is tricky).
I would be interested in a "how to" about pulling and replacing the ECU from you (or anyone else). Did you happen to take any pictures of the process? I might be doing something similar one of these months.

Thanks

Don

Downerman

TDI
2010 Jetta Cup Edition
Just email me... or better yet call me at home (831) 674-1895 but not after 9:00 PST please.... I'm an early riser so I hit the sheets early. Don't know what it will Dyno at but I could guess but why? For the record... I just sold my 74 Carrera with a race motor 215 HP and torque was right there with the Hp. This car I have now would out perform my 911 with PMO's and custom cams.

I went with the Stage 1 from Mark. It keeps the original clean burning filters and basically everything intact. This car is unbelieveable. I welcome anyone who is in the area to call me and take it for a spin.

Dave

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
Can just do the downloader rental for $50 and not mess with the ECU as I understand.

As far as the new power... it will become "normal" after a while. The 98 Ram in my sig makes 525hp and 1120ft/lbs torque to the rear wheels and it's pretty "normal" feeling at this point :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PZ9uOkTIxU

Last edited:

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
This does remind me of a story.I live in Georgia. I drove a friend to North Carolina ( about 400 miles) so he could pick up a new SS Camaro that he bought on eBay. This was when the cars first came out a few months back.

On the way back after filling both cars, I got turned around the wrong way and ended up about 8 miles behind him in his new SS. He asked me over the cell phone if I wanted him to wait for me, I said no, I'll catch you. he laughed. But I figured the SS would suck it's tank dry and I would cruz right on by.

Sure enough he had to stop in North GA for fuel, and I ended up about 12 miles ahead of him.

Soory about the thread jack...LOL

Downerman

TDI
2010 Jetta Cup Edition
http://malonetuning.com/

Here's Mark's web-site. I read the Camero SS link several weeks ago too..... it was funny. All kidding aside, on these tight twistie roads out here where I live I would not bet against this TDI.... at the bare minimum it would hold it's own and because I have never driven one of the new Camero's I can't compare. I can tell you that the CUP EDITION of the TDI does has an adjustable suspension, bigger brakes, rims and carries Perrili P-zero's all the way around. This car handles like road glue and now with Marks little gift, well it's a force to reckoned with. Don't get me wrong, I'm not out looking for a fight.... but I can and do appreciate a car that handles/performs well.

Again, I welcome anyone who has a TDI or wants to buy a TDI to come and see what this is all about. Tell me, where can you absoultly rip up the road and also get 45 MPG all in the same day? (Notice I pointed out "in the same day"). When your foot goes into it, it does effect your MPG.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Hey are you gonna come to the August 14 GTG at San pablo? http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=278058

I have an MKIV w/ an ALH.. would love to see how these stack up.

http://malonetuning.com/

Here's Mark's web-site. I read the Camero SS link several weeks ago too..... it was funny. All kidding aside, on these tight twistie roads out here where I live I would not bet against this TDI.... at the bare minimum it would hold it's own and because I have never driven one of the new Camero's I can't compare. I can tell you that the CUP EDITION of the TDI does has an adjustable suspension, bigger brakes, rims and carries Perrili P-zero's all the way around. This car handles like road glue and now with Marks little gift, well it's a force to reckoned with. Don't get me wrong, I'm not out looking for a fight.... but I can and do appreciate a car that handles/performs well.

Again, I welcome anyone who has a TDI or wants to buy a TDI to come and see what this is all about. Tell me, where can you absoultly rip up the road and also get 45 MPG all in the same day? (Notice I pointed out "in the same day"). When your foot goes into it, it does effect your MPG.

Downerman

TDI
2010 Jetta Cup Edition
I would love to ... was just up there a few weeks ago picking up my daughter in Eugene as she graduated from U of O. Go Ducks.... The 14th my family we have a ritual as that week is a huge meteor shower and we go up to the high sierra's and hang out for a few days. The 14th is the peak night so while your up in Portland... check it out.

I'll watch the boards though because I would hop in my car and jam up for something cool..... thanks.

Dave

CTFirearms

TDI
2010 JETTA
How long was the turn around time? $500 is a little pricey. Had an ECU tuned on am MB for $400.

Mis spelling on purpose Camero instead of Camaro right?

Downerman

TDI
2010 Jetta Cup Edition
With respect to the pricy comment or observation. knowing what I know now I would have paid the guy the day I bought the car. Not meaning to sound like a dick but $500.00 for what Malone did for my car, I know guys who have spent thousands for not anywhere near the torque gain I got. I think your point was that you had paid less for your Mercedes which is great. I had read many posts about Marks Reputation and after doing business with him, well, it was a pleasant experience just as the other posts/members had said.

The turn around was like this. I went to Fed-X on Friday morning looking for a next day delivery. UPS and Fed-X did not deliver in Marks area on Saturdays so it got to him on Monday. Should have had it back on Wed. but US Customs clipped me for an additional day so I had it early Thursday morning.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
There is no other mod you can do for $500 that would get you that kinda of gain.
My friend had his M3 tuned and paid $1100.00 and it has CEL on all the time. The tuners answer was to disconnect the CEL......seriously. car has a aftermarket turbo ....but still. It runs like crap, runs lean as hell, back fires. It's all screwed up and he paid like 10 K for the turbo from Kenny Bell.