Pic of how the power steering pump is mounted to the 1.9 tdi

akal65

TDI
B4
the mechanic says something is missing to the power steering pump mounting , he says only 1 bolt holding the pump is wrong and I am looking for a picture of a power steering pump on a 1.9 B4 tdi , the bracket was busted and when a new one was gotten no good way to mount the pump is known , does anyone have a pic of what this is supposed to look like ? if possible I would be very thankful.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Here's the schematic for the pump components. All 4 cylinder engines (gas and diesel) use the same mounting mechanism (Mk3, B3 and B4 cars and maybe Mk2 also).

This should help you with your problems, there's actually two pieces to the mounting, a bracket #9 that mounts to the block with 2 bolts and what I call the 'pump carrier' #6 that the pump bolts to that fits into the first bracket. I can't think of an actual photo that shows it any better than this, it's a hard item to photograph unless the engine is out of the car.

Steve

EDIT: there's one thing different on this between gas and diesel, for diesel the #12 does not have a mounting point for the #14 stud, which itself is not used.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
There is a bolt in the back that runs in a sleve and mostly free floating until tightened. There is a bolt with a gear on the front (belt side) that you use to tighten the slack and then torque down to what I remeber as 8 ftlbs. I'm probably not going to use by bracket as I'll probably be going electrical pump due to the swap. But that wont help you now and I think you said you got one. Years back my bracket also broke. Tried to weld it and it didnt work. Trick is to make sure the 3 bolts that hold the bracket are clean and the threads clean as well with some blue lock tight. And torques properly. I suspect the brake was from the belt being over tightened and or something flying up into the pulley. Hard to tell. There was a nick in the pulley on the water pump so who knows.

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
I jacked up my 1996 B4V Passat and took some photos of the power steering pump. Hope these help. ♥♥♥ (Please don't judge the slight oil leak!)