PD (2005 Jetta) Oil change

dlp

TDI
Jetta GL Wagon, 2005, Shadow Blue
I am getting ready to do my first (5K) oil change on a 2005 Jetta Wagon (not 2005.5). The movie that someone posted was quite useful. However, I did notice right away that my engine cover does not have two simple 10mm bolts on the top to remove, but something that looks a bit more complex underneath. Does anyone know how to remove the engine cover on this model?

Also, I am close to deciding on the Elf Solaris (507.00) as my oil, and have been told that it exceeds 505.01. Does anyone have a contrary opinion?

Thanks kindly.

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
Those "complex"-looking things you see are just big rubber bushings of sorts on the engine cover itself, this is what is holding the cover on. Grab underneath the leading (front) edge of the cover with both hands and pull up, it'll take a bit of force to unseat the grommets. When you have the front unfastened, slide the cover towards the front of the car to pull the tab on the back out of it's position.

The answers to your oil questions, or udoubtedly most of them, can be answered here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=944960&an=0&page=0#944960

The best advice I can give you if you want to work on your own car, even just for basic maintenance, is to buy a Bentley manual for your car. It is an invaluable reference.

Feel free to use the Search feature of the forums whenever possible as I have noticed some folks here getting fairly intolerant of some answered-a-hundred-times questions being asked by new members, etc. Don't be afraid to ask questions but please do a quick search or two first, you'll find a wealth of information here from authorities on the subjects at hand. Enjoy your new wagon, you and I have the same cars...