TDIFest 2013 coming to Sunday River Ski Resort (Newry, Maine)

onlyinabeetle

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I hiked 2 years ago to the summit, and want to do that again!! A little over 8 hours base to summit and back to base... though at the summit the $40 per person to get back to the bottom was rather tempting, we fought back to the base!

BIO-PWR

TDI
'01 Golf TDI, '15 GSW S with 6MT
Haha love the replies guys! Yes, they do still have the steamer, but the guy who runs the cog railway (Wayne Presby) also started White Mountain Biodiesel, and he uses B20 (or maybe a bit more) in his new John Deere Cog engines. The plant manager of WMBD says he'd like to run a higher %, but the warranty doesn't cover it. Too bad, because the engines would love it!

in all seriousness, if we can gauge interest, I can help make sure that there is fuel there for anyone who wants to burn bio.

TeDeEye1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI Premium
Booked and ready

Booked for three nights in Studio Deluxe room,
This will be the new Passat's first TDI Fest :) It has already had it's 10,000 mile birthday, but those were trips every other week to Indy (425 round trip).

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Booked for three nights in Studio Deluxe room,
This will be the new Passat's first TDI Fest :) It has already had it's 10,000 mile birthday, but those were trips every other week to Indy (425 round trip).
Wow I didn't know you had a new Passat! That's very cool. Congrats on it and its first 10,000 miles. See you in Maine in a few months. :D

benstdi

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI, 2000 XJ8, BMW X5
Anyone thinking of going from NC (Western, Winston-Boone?) I really would like to go, but a 15 hour drive alone seems well... Boring. Ha. Would love to make the too though! Have heard many good things about ME.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'm planning on making a trip up to Sunday River on Memorial Day Weekend to go over some more event details with the staff and organizers. If anyone in the area wants to stop by and hang out, let me know! Drive up Sunday the 26th, drive home on Tuesday the 28th.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Anyone thinking of going from NC (Western, Winston-Boone?) I really would like to go, but a 15 hour drive alone seems well... Boring. Ha. Would love to make the too though! Have heard many good things about ME.
It's not a bad drive. I've driven to Asheville from the Boston area a bunch of times. My only advice is to avoid Route 95 on a holiday weekend. One weekend I sat in intermittent traffic from Maryland to Massachusetts. Not fun.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
It's not a bad drive. I've driven to Asheville from the Boston area a bunch of times. My only advice is to avoid Route 95 on a holiday weekend. One weekend I sat in intermittent traffic from Maryland to Massachusetts. Not fun.
When I drove back to NH from Tennessee once, I took 81 all the way up to Scranton, PA, then took 84 over to CT. From about the Hartford area, there are several interesting ways to get to Maine. But I agree, the stretch of 95 between DC and Boston is just awful. And this is a holiday weekend, so traffic will be bad.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
81 is how I usually go. One trip I got from Tennessee to my house in MA on one tank in the wagon. 832 miles. That was sweet.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
When I drove back to NH from Tennessee once, I took 81 all the way up to Scranton, PA, then took 84 over to CT. From about the Hartford area, there are several interesting ways to get to Maine. But I agree, the stretch of 95 between DC and Boston is just awful. And this is a holiday weekend, so traffic will be bad.
I have been up to NE from Florida several times and I usually catch 81 and 84 like you said. Usually take 64 from about Richmond over to 81, but I have taken 26 and 77 across the Carolinas.

Traffic up 95 through DC sucks, and further up you get hit by tolls.

Jason

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I-95 just south of DC (from Springfield to Quantico) is especially bad right now because of the HOV lane expansion in the southbound direction. The construction generally ties up at least the left shoulder and often the left lane of both northbound and southbound traffic, causing significant delays at all hours of the day and night.

If you're in a position to take 81 without going really far out of your way, do it. If 81 is too far, take 301 in Maryland to bypass the DC metro area.

This recommendation holds true from now through at least the next 6 months.

myke_w

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI Wagon
I drive this route all the time,

If you want a really nice drive and want to avoid all the "wonderful" drivers in the New England metro areas, do yourself a favor and avoid most of Ct and Ma altogether. Anything in or near the 95 corridor all the way to and through Maine is going to be a mess.

From I84 in NY I'd head north toward Albany on the Taconic parkway or I87 and then cut over Through VT (VT9) and head up I91 or go through NH (NH9-> I89-> I93). See link for a sample route.

http://goo.gl/maps/TlCJB

Lots of great scenery in the western routes..

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
I guess when you live in Mass and the Fest is being held east of where you live, there is no excuse. Guess I'm in!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
There really isn't. We might even be persuaded to bring parts! But then again...

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
hmmm, this isn't too far from myself and Alex22. i don't see why we wouldn't be able to make this one and just over half a tank to get there i bet.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I'm planning on making a trip up to Sunday River on Memorial Day Weekend to go over some more event details with the staff and organizers. If anyone in the area wants to stop by and hang out, let me know! Drive up Sunday the 26th, drive home on Tuesday the 28th.
Oh NOW I read this. :facepalm: I'd love to but I'd have to do some acrobatics with my obligations...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Oh NOW I read this. :facepalm: I'd love to but I'd have to do some acrobatics with my obligations...
Jason and I are heading back home from Myrtle Beach in an hour or so, them I'm heading up to Maine tomorrow morning. Let me know if you can do some rearranging on Sunday night or Monday. :)

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
At PeterV will be there.

Perhaps I can get the snoooozzzzing Hamster to attend.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Got here about 2 hours ago... long drive but very little traffic. :cool:

Anyone local interested in stopping by tomorrow, we're having a meeting with the hotel at 1pm for a couple of hours and then hanging out for the rest of the day... feel free to stop by!

Looking forward to getting the final details worked out and then opening registration! :D

MontrealTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf Wagon TDI w/DSG
Man, my family has been going to Biddeford Pool, ME every summer for all of my life (43 years), will be there the week of the 17th... May have to drive back! ;) Have never been in that area, looks fantastic!

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I hope you are enjoying Maine today. Its much nicer today than it was Saturday. I wish I could catch up with you, but I had other obligations this weekend. If you have time for a nice drive, find route 113 through Evans notch. Its a fun road.