1st DIY oil change

alcampbell

TDI
2011 Jetta
Bought my TDI Jetta about 18 mths ago. Love it. I Just completed 40k mile (39.3K actual miles) oil & filter change - Dealer did the 1st three. All went pretty simple once I located the correct oil. Could not find VW 507 spec where I live but used Rotella Synthetic T6 (API rated CH4) as recommended in this forum. Anyone using the vacuum extractors for oil changes..Saw it in a couple of vids...looks worth the $$ to eliminate the hassle of getting under the car and dealing with a drip pan. Next week-end planning on changing air and fuel filter + rotate tires. Any tips greatly appreciated. al

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Guetta - 2014 Jetta TDI Trimline +
Bought my TDI Jetta about 18 mths ago. Love it. I Just completed 40k mile (39.3K actual miles) oil & filter change - Dealer did the 1st three. All went pretty simple once I located the correct oil. Could not find VW 507 spec where I live but used Rotella Synthetic T6 (API rated CH4) as recommended in this forum. Anyone using the vacuum extractors for oil changes..Saw it in a couple of vids...looks worth the $$ to eliminate the hassle of getting under the car and dealing with a drip pan. Next week-end planning on changing air and fuel filter + rotate tires. Any tips greatly appreciated. al
Welcome to the club! I posted a Fuel Filter how-to a while back...just going to search for the link, and I'll post it asap.

Here ya go: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/uploads/65806/FF_Ch.pdf

-M.

PS- I think Drivbiwire is trying to sell you some oil...lol.

Last edited:

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Wrong oil!!!!!!

You MUST use an ESP rated oil, Mobil 1 5w40 ESP Formula M, you can get it at any Mercedes dealer in bulk 2 gallons at a time.

Change immediately!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
No, DBW is trying to prevent you from ruining your very expensive exhaust system. 2009+ TDIs must use ONLY Low SAPS motor oil. These can be either VW 507.00 or MB 229.51 approved, but it cannot be the oil the OP used. The Rotella T6 is actually a very good oil for older TDIs, but it is totally unacceptable for newer Common Rail VW diesels. 507.00 and MB229.51 Mobil 1 is available at any PepBoys store and Castrol 507.00 is available from any VW dealer. Other approved oils are readily available on-line. The OP should change motor oil ASAP. Drivbiwire is not in the business of selling oil, but he is knowledgeable about VW diesel engines.

Have Fun!

Don

RT450

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen Manual Trans
my 40k service on my 2010 TDI SportWagen

I just performed my 40k service on my 2010 TDI SportWagen. I purchased everything I needed from Independent Diesel Parts in Pembroke, MA. Their web page is not the best one out there so I called them instead. They were very helpful and sent me what I needed. They have a couple of VW 507.00 recommended oils to choose from, I used Total brand since that is what the VW dealer used for the first three oil changes...... http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_28&products_id=1135
In 2010, there are two different fuel filters. The only way to know is to contact IDParts directly to see if you have an early or late version filter. The difference can be easily seen on the top of the fuel filter housing. They also sell a tool for removing the oil filter cover. It is a one time cost of around $10 and is worth the cost. Remember to get a new drain plug, they have those too. The factory manual recommends removing the oil filter then the drain plug because there is a check valve in the filter housing that will open when the filter is removed. This will drain most of the oil in the filter housing when you remove the drain plug.

Last edited:

alcampbell

TDI
2011 Jetta
Thanks

Thanks for the fuel filter info....I think I just may look around for the VW-507 some more. I thought I did enough homework but sounds like it's not worth taking the chance.
Welcome to the club! I posted a Fuel Filter how-to a while back...just going to search for the link, and I'll post it asap.
Here ya go: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/uploads/65806/FF_Ch.pdf
-M.

alcampbell

TDI
2011 Jetta
Thanks much for this...I've only run it for about 10-15 min since the change...I'll be headed out again to look for VW-507.00 (in my wife's car) first thing in the a.m. Hopefully this only cost me more oil and a filter.

SCM.com

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Guetta - 2014 Jetta TDI Trimline +
I didn't realize you were driving a newer TDI. Oils are very crucial for the newer models, and for those that keep the scrubber on the exhaust system.

I drive an older model, and haven't run a scrubber for years, so I was ignorant.

If you have time to order oil, http://www.idparts.com stocks all the latest supplies. Just plugging them because I've had awesome service!

-M.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Make sure any oil you use meets VW's recommended specifications for your car. You will find it listed in the Owner's manual.

alcampbell

TDI
2011 Jetta
DIY Oil change

Make sure any oil you use meets VW's recommended specifications for your car. You will find it listed in the Owner's manual.
Yep....I should have done a bit more homework. I knew what was listed in the owners manual but convinced myself thru stuff I read that there were API specs equivalent to the European factory specs i.e. Rotella T6 CH4 > VW 507.00. Well it appears that's not true. I've only made one short drive since the change. Parked it til I get the 507 oil. Where I live there are no Mercedes dealers, no VW dealers and no PEP Boys closer that about 2 hours...but we have 4 Walmart Super Centers uuhh!
I was thinking about trying to find an older model for my kid to take to school but I doubt the average person (outside of enthusiasts) goes to this length to get specialized parts and service. I know I've seen TDIs in quick lube joints but none I called had the oil I needed...huhh

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Tuck stops carry Delvac 1 5w40 ESP, this is an option in a pinch.

This has a very slightly higher Sulfated ash formula, but it will not pose a risk since it is designed for DPF and other clean diesel designs.

Volks09Wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI, Manual
I personally just changed my oil yesterday. I went to the dealer ship and bought everything from there. It costed me $57.00 (they gave me castrol 5W-30, and the OEM filter).

The biggest hassel was trying to get the bottom cover off to get to the drain plug. Also, the drain plug had a "crush washer" that must be replaced. I didnt have a new drain plug, but I had the crush washers, I cut the old washer off ( carefully not to damage the drain plug) and put the new one on. Honestly, the oil change was really simple on the VW, I was suprised.

alcampbell

TDI
2011 Jetta
Oil Change, Re Drivbiwire

Tuck stops carry Delvac 1 5w40 ESP, this is an option in a pinch.
This has a very slightly higher Sulfated ash formula, but it will not pose a risk since it is designed for DPF and other clean diesel designs.
Thanks much....decided to just make the 4hr trip to the dealer (in wife's car) to pick up some 507.00 spec...I'll pre order after that. Delvac is listed in the same list of generally accepted oils in the FAQ sheet where I saw Rotella T6...I know that we're each responsible for doing our own research but the FAQ sheet may need to be clarified so no one draws the same conclusion of (Listed oils = or as good as) VW 507.00 spec oil. This forum is the best source of info I've found...guys at the parts stores and oil change bays don't have a clue...but they all pretended to know...was glad I came here first...made it easy to detect that 90% of what I was being told in town was bogus.

al
http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-4.html

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Shell Rotella is not an ESP rated oil. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP (Focus on ESP not the Delvac) is the formula you are required to use.

Disregard the TDI FAQ on oil, its not up to date, also don't stop reading when you see "Delvac" because there are probably 5 versions called Delvac 4 of which will trash your emissions system.

Delvac 1 ESP uses the same additives used in the Mercedes version, but its an oil used in Heavy duty engines like a CAT, or Detroit with DPF and SCR (AdBlue) systems.

alcampbell

TDI
2011 Jetta
Oil Change, Delvac, Re Drivbiwire

Shell Rotella is not an ESP rated oil. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP (Focus on ESP not the Delvac) is the formula you are required to use.

Disregard the TDI FAQ on oil, its not up to date, also don't stop reading when you see "Delvac" because there are probably 5 versions called Delvac 4 of which will trash your emissions system.

Delvac 1 ESP uses the same additives used in the Mercedes version, but its an oil used in Heavy duty engines like a CAT, or Detroit with DPF and SCR (AdBlue) systems.
Thanks much DBW...info saved me a lot of headache and frustrations...not to mention $$$.