www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old September 4th, 2007, 12:57   #151
Bazmcc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3pd
PD150 use the same snorkel as R32
I lifted the airbox from a 150 the other day and it was the same as the pd130 so how does the bigger R32 snorkle fit in the normal sized hole that it had in the lower half?
Baz
Bazmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 13:08   #152
Bazmcc
Veteran Member

Oh - hold on are you talking about the normal R32 snorkle? Because the discussion is actually about the DSG one.
Baz
Old September 4th, 2007, 15:29   #153
Occams_Razor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazmcc
Oh - hold on are you talking about the normal R32 snorkle? Because the discussion is actually about the DSG one.
Baz
The DSG R32 snorkle is bigger and is what is being discussed in this thread.

The regular R32 snorkle is about the same size as the one from a 1.8T or regular VR6.
Old September 4th, 2007, 23:14   #154
mk3pd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazmcc
I lifted the airbox from a 150 the other day and it was the same as the pd130 so how does the bigger R32 snorkle fit in the normal sized hole that it had in the lower half?
Baz
Sorry,you are right.

The DSG snorkel IS bigger,i can see it now.
mk3pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 21:07   #155
Racer007
Veteran Member

TDI(s): NA

I have a Van Aaken Smart Box and their .205 nozzles on my Golf. Would that give me enough extra fueling to make this mod beneficial at all?
2001 Golf TDI GLS: .658 5th gear mod 245/45/17 tires on VW Long Beach Wheels, Rear 12mm H&R Spacers 04 GTI Shocks & Springs, TT Control Arm Bushings, Van Aaken Smart Box & .205 Nozzles, MagnaFlow True Dual Exhaust, Amsoil 3050 Conical Air Filter w/OEM Cold Air Snorkel, E-Codes/wfogs, EuroSwitch, Ventectomy, Short Shifter, Kenwood Double DIN CD/MP3/AM/FM/Cassette.
Racer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:26   #156
Bazmcc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer007
I have a Van Aaken Smart Box and their .205 nozzles on my Golf. Would that give me enough extra fueling to make this mod beneficial at all?
I doubt it. If you have a read through the thread you'll see that benefits are small unless you're runnning a fairly large amount of bhp. Even then it's not large benefit.
Baz
Old November 26th, 2008, 15:26   #157
ibanix
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~45mpg

I finally bought the parts for this... ugh, the airbox went up to $130
Old November 26th, 2008, 16:00   #158
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

That's not too bad: I have to buy all this stuff again for my Golf. I was going to go with some kind of CAI with louvers in the front fender but I know how OEM works and Jeff can tune for it. ibanix, you'll have to get a re-tune for the larger MAF: it flows more air but at a lower velocity, so the ecu will under-fuel. Lag is the result. A re-tune will fix it.
Old November 26th, 2008, 17:22   #159
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Did anyone notice a "large wooshing sound" after this upgrade? My setup has quite a bit of airnoise to it especially getting on it in the lower rpm range...

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 17:28   #160
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfromovin
Did anyone notice a "large wooshing sound" after this upgrade? My setup has quite a bit of airnoise to it especially getting on it in the lower rpm range...
Yes, you mean the vacuum cleaner sound?

At first, I had hard time distinguishing the intake WHOOSH from the exhaust WHOOSH, but now I can. (I added the OMI well after the exhaust work)
Old November 26th, 2008, 21:11   #161
B100
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpoopie
as promised, finally I've taken pics of the trimmed battery box.
here is the view from above. You can see the snorkle along side the box, and kinda how it goes underneath.

here is the same view with the lid removed, more clearly showing the snorkle and how it tucks under the trimmed area slightly.

Here is a shot of the battery box lid. It was late, so my trimming is kinda clumsy, but it shows the area that must be removed.

And here is a shot of the lower box and the snorkle wrapping under and around. The view is from the drivers door looking forward towards the headlight. You can see where the lower box was trimmed as well.

Again, sorry it took so long to get these shots.
I am thinking of getting ahold of a full battery box and tray from a vr6 or 1.8t to see if it will not interfere... I suppose you could also mod the battery box to move it further inboard by about 1/2" to provide clearance.
Did the tdiclub picture server take a dump, or has something else happened that the images are not showing?
Old November 26th, 2008, 23:35   #162
ibanix
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon
That's not too bad: I have to buy all this stuff again for my Golf. I was going to go with some kind of CAI with louvers in the front fender but I know how OEM works and Jeff can tune for it. ibanix, you'll have to get a re-tune for the larger MAF: it flows more air but at a lower velocity, so the ecu will under-fuel. Lag is the result. A re-tune will fix it.
I don't actually have a larger MAF holder/sensor yet. After I do this, I'll have:

R32 snorkle, R32 lower airbox, stock upper airbox, stock MAF holder/sensor, stock flex pipe, and your TDIparts 2.5" OMI.

I know I'll want to go with a large MAF housing eventually, but unless I'm greatly mistaken, I'll need the $$$ PD150 flex pipe and intake pipe (OMI/TIP).
Old November 26th, 2008, 23:35   #163
ibanix
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B100
Did the tdiclub picture server take a dump, or has something else happened that the images are not showing?
Nope, works fine for me.
Old November 27th, 2008, 02:01   #164
Bazmcc
Veteran Member

If you use a PD130/150 airbox lid, maf housing and intake pipe and use the pd130 MAF itself it'll work fine with no tuning needed. I've done this on my own car a while back.
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:53   #165
Richard55

TDI(s): 2000 NB
Fuel Economy: 52 MPG

IBW
Just had Jeff install the RC6 on the NB, with the MAF delete, therefore Iwill not need the larger MAF at all, correct. Mine is unpluged and just setting there now.
RC6, 11 mm IP, 17/22, egr delete, 3 inch exhaust, 2.5" custom lower IC pipe, lift pump, "LurkerMike" custom DP, PP764, MAF deleted, 3 bar MAP, stage 2-14 lbs flywheel and clutch assy. Autometer Colbalt 2 Oil Pressure, Boost and EGT guages. K&N air filter. 18" Motegi wheels. vent and snowectomies. 55 watt HIDs
Richard55 is offline   Reply With Quote