www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old April 18th, 2017, 11:30   #1
SS930
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2009 Jetta = 44 MPG, 2015 A3 = 46 MPG
Default 2015 TDI Tuning Options?

I have a 2015 Audi A3 2.0L TDI (150hp?) I'm considering keeping, rather than giving it back to the factory. I just added coilovers and love the car now, but a little more power is always welcome.

I don't want to do anything that will reduce fuel economy (other than when I lay my foot into it) and I would prefer not to do any hardware mods (turbo, injectors, etc).

Other than Malone, what are my tuning options?
1999.5 Jetta TDI (6sp MT) - GONE
1999.5 Jetta TDI (6sp MT) - GONE

Last edited by SS930; April 18th, 2017 at 11:33.
SS930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 12:04   #2
Owain@malonetuning

If you're worried about reliability, we've designed a tune that does not alter any of the emissions equipment. Some other providers might quietly be doing otherwise, altering EGR or other emissions related units could affect the DPF reliability. Also keep in mind that we test with a dynapack, a hub mounted dyno system used by most of the larger tuners as they're better for development. They're considerably more accurate than dynojets and give honest readouts.

Revo, Unitronic and Kerma have tunes. Not sure why APR offers diesel tunes but can't recommend them, and I'm sure there's a few others.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 16:11   #3
mrchill
TDIClub Enthusiast
Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Location: MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x 2!

Many of the tuners do those cars. Rocketchip is one. I've had very good results with him...including 2015 cars.

If you were traveling at the speed of light, and you turned your lights on......would anything happen?

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

You will get NOTHING! And you WILL be GRATEFUL!
mrchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 13:09   #4
alvinM3

I am interested in this as well. I've been doing some research online and from what I understand tuning is can be done via OBD port using Flashzilla v3. Are there any issues with the tune after the Phase 1 fix? Any impressions/reviews from current users would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Also, are DSG tunes recommended/required for 2015 models? Can this be done by Flashzilla as well?
alvinM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 13:32   #5
Owain@malonetuning

Haven't had any problems with post "fix" cars, tuning them daily.

DSG tunes definitely liven the car up and raise the torque limiter, but it's not as intrusive as on the earlier motors. DSG tuning can only be done with the KessV2 through the transmission port located under the air box. We can rent those out for those in remote areas.

Old April 25th, 2017, 16:26   #6
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

You can't go wrong with any of the tuners that frequent this site. I personally have Malone with flashzilla, as I'll be updating my tune in the future. Kerma offers the same device/service. My car is an absolute joy to drive and fuel economy does not suffer unless you are tempted to use the extra power often.

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 08:51   #7
CiDirkona

Brand new to TDIs, although I've been playing with FSI/TSI VWs since 2007ish.

Are the tunes available reversible and/or diagnostically invisible? My 2015 TDI is post-dieselgate EPA approved tune, so I have a feeling that the EPA is going to have a tighter focus on these cars. Even the dealer asked me not to modify it right away (they know me well... ) as they expect the EPA to follow up with real-world tests.

Thanks in advance!
CiDirkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 09:31   #8
KERMA

If you use a Qpro type device, it's pretty much undetectable as long as you return to stock before you bring it in.

There's a flash counter that increments every time the ecu is flashed or attempted, and theoretically *if* they tracked that between dealer visits it could raise questions. But it's somewhat esoteric and not routinely checked. In 10 years of tuning cars with flash counters, I have not once come across any instance where it was an issue, not even once. This was first a concern with the PD's back in the day, but never had anyone say the dealer ever looked. or questioned it. If it's a concern I can back up your ecu for the cost of shipping and then the flash counter can be reset at any time by sending it in.

Just return the ecu to stock before you bring the car to the dealer, and it's stock. Not much they will say at that point. Of course this means no deletes or such.

If you still have a pre-dieselgate tune, just remember to go back to stock before bringing the car in for the dieselgte update. Then the programmer can be erased to start over again. The the post-dieselgate update(s) are 100% free, as are any retunes required after the dealer reflashes.
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Neils Bohr
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 10:06   #9
740GLE
Veteran Member

Any idea of the percentage of ECU software versions of the 2015 are in the flashzilla compatible database?
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 10:45   #10
KERMA

We have had to add add every one to the shared database for passat, jetta, and golf so everyone should be good to go now.
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Neils Bohr
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 12:35   #11
Owain@malonetuning

Long as the provider is using a KessV2/ktag then you should be good, we all share the same database.

Old May 2nd, 2017, 08:44   #12
jsrmonster
Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast

The new edc17's have locked read/write eprom (boot-tricore) and require special adapter to break the encryption. When the older cars get the new firmware updates, they get new encrypted locks installed, requiring new tool protocols.
Long as you got the latest tools, the read/write job is no problem. Tuning/editing tools and checksums is a different story.

I can get in all the BMW's/Mercedes/VW-Audi's/Duramax's, etc now (gas and diesels). That should last 6months until the next major architecture hardware changes happen.
Jeff ;-))
15 Golf SW DSG, 00Jetta 6spd race, 99.5Jetta Rocket ARL-PD150 6spd 2260, 2003.5 5.9L Cummins QCLB 4x4 Blue Monster, 00Passat1.8T, other tdi's: 97J, 98J, 99.5J2x, 00-C5 6spd - EFILive, HPTuner, Diablo Sport!
Never argue with an idiot.They will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
The beatings will continue until the morale improves!
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement !
"DIESEL TUNING PROFESSIONAL" 1-5-3-6-2-4=;-)

jsrmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 11:23   #13
Owain@malonetuning

Kerma and Malone have been tuning these fresh off the lot and already built a database off bench-flashing ECUs as required (Thank you Andrew and everyone else involved). What tools are you using Have had no problems with the BMWs, Mercs, Jeeps, Rams, or sprinters either, but all those from 2009 + (and 2010 + sprinter) are bench only.

Newer siemens ECUs are another story, still some stock file availability issues with the MK7s and 3L TFSIs other than the 8.4 models.

Last edited by Owain@malonetuning; May 2nd, 2017 at 12:53.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 18:09   #14
HPower

TDI(s): 2015 Golf

Hey Owain,

I have sent you a new follow up email on this very topic.
Looking forward to hearing what you think for my 2015.

Thx,
Tom
HPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 18:01   #15
leakslikasieve

TDI(s): '15 GSW tdi
Fuel Economy: i've been averaging 48.7 since new

ugh, I really want to tune, but really don't want to risk any warranty issues. Decisions decisions.
leakslikasieve is offline   Reply With Quote