2 stroke oil in your diesel = smiles?

str8t six

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS TDI
alright

ill see if i can get a video of the difference in engine sound if there is any.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Sorry, but there's nothing new to the TDIClub in this report. The lubricity chart is a reprint of the Spicer Report, from 2007, which has been hotly debated/discussed on this forum for more than 2 years.

Too bad...I was hoping you had discovered an updated lubricity test!!

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
Sorry, but there's nothing new to the TDIClub in this report. The lubricity chart is a reprint of the Spicer Report, from 2007, which has been hotly debated/discussed on this forum for more than 2 years.

Too bad...I was hoping you had discovered an updated lubricity test!!
Reprint? Damn near plagiarism...lol.

DieselPhil

TDI
2001 vw jetta
I have been using Howe's diesel treat for about 9 years now on my 2001 Jetta. Just added my first 4 oz of ashless 2cycle oil with 4 oz of Howe's to a tank of D2. I like the way it made the car more quiet. I have a gas station relatively close to my house that sells soy based B100. Since it is the best lubricity additive according to the Spicer Report I was thinking that it may be more beneficial to use the bio as opposed to the 2cycle oil. My question is can I use B100 in;conjunction with 2cycle oil to lubricate and take care of the aromatics as well? If so what would be desirable ratio?

jet-tdi

TDI
2012 JETTA prem W sun roof
Try Hammonds lubribor aprox 1/8oz per 10 gallon. adds lubricity to ultra low sulfur diesel. It complies with federal low sulfer content requirements. I have been using Hammonds additives for years.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I ran two cycle oil in my diesel in my LB7 Duramax in the hopes of increasing the life of the injectors. It did not. In fact they failed just as fast if not faster than the factory installed set of injectors. My conclusion on 2 cycle oil added to diesel fuel is snake oil.It was a waste of money and I will not do that again.

Scratcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 TDI BEW Wagon
I ran two cycle oil in my diesel in my LB7 Duramax in the hopes of increasing the life of the injectors. It did not. In fact they failed just as fast if not faster than the factory installed set of injectors. My conclusion on 2 cycle oil added to diesel fuel is snake oil.It was a waste of money and I will not do that again.
I think this was more down to a LB7 issue than an additive. It has been pretty well documented that engines incorporating high pressure fuel systems have suffered failures due to a combination of poor fuel quality and extreme requirements by the EPA on emissions. To get around this manufacturers developed high efficiency fuel systems which demand good fuel lubricity to function.

There are hundreds if not thousands of older Diesel engines who run 2 cycle and/or new engine oil through there fuel systems with good effects. I know that some drivers of International Navistar 6.9 and 7.3 IDI engines are increasing Injector life due to adding lubricity to their fuel tanks

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I think this was more down to a LB7 issue than an additive. It has been pretty well documented that engines incorporating high pressure fuel systems have suffered failures due to a combination of poor fuel quality and extreme requirements by the EPA on emissions. To get around this manufacturers developed high efficiency fuel systems which demand good fuel lubricity to function.

There are hundreds if not thousands of older Diesel engines who run 2 cycle and/or new engine oil through there fuel systems with good effects. I know that some drivers of International Navistar 6.9 and 7.3 IDI engines are increasing Injector life due to adding lubricity to their fuel tanks
Yeah it was pretty much an LB7 issue. Many thought it a lubricity issue and others swore that it was filtration. I did it all and yet had multiple failures. One cannot depend on additives to fix design faults. I have run many additives on and off in various diesels I own. I cannot say bad nor good on their usages.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
The 2-stroke oil should generate higher BTU in combustion vs. B100 so more power is an added benefit :)

I have used this stuff for years. Never had a pump failure due to lubricity issues even at high rpm on a 12mm pump head..

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I have used a lot of different additives over the years. Had a few tanks with 2-cycle in it, and the claims it lowers cetane and increases power appear to be true (with some caveats).

Based on cold-start behaviour, EGTs and power it appears effective timing is indeed retarded a bit (lower cetane). Low-end power is increased at the expense of mid- and top-end power. For trucks this isn't a problem since they don't normally rev very high. For us though, it's different. Today in 3rd gear it lost its balls at about 4K or 4500 RPM vs 5000 or 5500 with my usual cetane-boosted fuel.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
The 2-stroke oil should generate higher BTU in combustion vs. B100 so more power is an added benefit :)

I have used this stuff for years. Never had a pump failure due to lubricity issues even at high rpm on a 12mm pump head..

+1 If you're going to use 2-cycle oil, that's the one to get. Don't be tempted to buying an expensive brand like QuickSilver or Penzoil thinking they'll work better. They won't. You'll just be wasting money, imo.

df

John96895

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
I have been doing this for a few years also. I mixed up a small sample batch, and however unscientific it might have been, rubbed it between my thumb and index finger, it was remarkably much more slippery than regular ULSD. Been using Super Tech ever since.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
Adding an oil to something made it more slippery? Shocker :)

Just joking with you, but yea, adding any oil would make it more slippery.

John96895

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
Yeah seems to be logical:rolleyes:! However post # 4 is this thread would be an exception, used motor oil won't blend with gasoline/diesel:eek:.

Ford_6L_E350

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI - sold the 13 TDI

And it depends on which 2 stroke oil is used. There are two main types of 2 stroke oil, and only oils marked TCW3 (or TCWIII) are ashless and burn completely. I've run many 10's of thousands of miles in my 6.0 PSD with TCW3 oil mixed at 1oz/gal. It quiets the engine significantly. I switched to Opti-Lube summer blend for trips over 2000 miles. Opti-Lube useage ratio (2 oz/30 gal) lets me carry enough (2 qts) for a 10,000 mile trip where I would need to carry 5 gallons of 2 stroke oil. Both give similar results forthe 105K I've used them.

Mike

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Now I know what to do with the 10x 1 litre bottles I have left over from my boating days, I look forward to quieter TDI, I will document the engine sound before and after, using a Sound level meter ...

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
the motorcycle forums i'm on...a lot of discussion about the benefits of 2 stroke oil as well...especially with the ethanol crap for gassers

Vangruver

TDI
1998 Tornado Red AHU TDi
I'm giving this a try in my current tank of fuel. So far within an eighth of a tank I haven't noticed any difference in performance or sound.

I still put in 4ounces of dk with the 2stroke oils and will see how well it fairs in my regular driving.

Haven't changed the way I drive, and haven't changed my route, but I am eager to see and potentially feel a difference

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
After running 2 tanks with 2-cycle oil, I'm much happier with purpose-built diesel additives. This current tank has 4 oz of PS white, 4 oz of PS silver and 4 oz of FPPF 8+ Cetane boost.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
That's a lot of additives.
The max recommended dose for PS is 8 oz per 12.5 gallons. The other [FPPF] is just more cetane boost.

Those who are using PS and don't notice any difference aren't adding enough :)

Evilsizer

TDI
2012 Golf TDi
i havent seen it talked about in this thread, if it was i missed it, read this thread 3 times. i haven seen it posted in another thread about not using a demulsifier in CR TDi's. the XPD seems like the one i would go with but it has a demulsifier in it. seems like the other opti-lub are off the table as well for CR TDi.

i havent used any yet in my TDi but i do have PS silver bottle from Pepboys, didnt find any other brands. im tring to gather info from stations as to what the cetane is and what they add to the fuel. my first fill up was at a valero with advertised 5% bio in the fuel. im thinking right now since the xpd has a demulsifier in it, is to stick with ps silver and 5% bio in the fuel. if i did the ratio right for my 14.5g tank, i need to add 9.25oz/tank of ps silver for a 7 point boost to cetane. then im not sure if i should get just a cetane booster to use in conjuction with ps silver. the question is would adding more cetane booster make a difference if it is a different brand or add a touch more ps silver instead. as at the 9.25oz/tank i would have just a touch over 3oz's left in the bottle after 3 tanks. thoughts?

*edit*
got my threads mixed up, gonna leave this post here.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
You didn't search very well.
Actually, since his post is so unbelievably convolute, it appears he has read too many posts and is as confused as the rest of us.

Put all the additives names on a dartboard. Wear a blindfold. Throw the dart.

That's what we're all doing. No one has been able to clearly define WHICH additive is best, or if additives are really necessary.

Since pump-available diesel varies so widely in quality from region to region, it's all a crap shoot...or a dart throw.:D