anyone tried 205/60r16 tires on 09/10 jetta wagon?

9C1_2NV

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
i've got a chance to get a really good deal on a set of Michelin X-Ice p205/60r16 winter tires and i'm not sure if they'll fit right on my wagon. i went on tirerack.com and found the height measurement as 25.7" in diameter versus the 205/55r16 measurement of 24.9". the tires are going on stock 16" VW steelies. i know there is a speedometer adjustment for snow tires (+/- 5mph), but i definitely don't want to run into any scrapping/rubbing issues. if you have any experience/info, please help! thanks in advance.

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
Your dia will increase by 8/10th inch and your speedo will show 60 mph when you are going 62, other than that, and if you can live with the speed discrepency, they will fit the car.

Last edited:

9C1_2NV

TDI
thanks for the replies guys!

chitty,
that is a great page with lots of useful info! any experience with mileage (gains/possible losses) when using the 60 series tires? with the manual trans, i'm sure the added height and reduction in effective gearing won't be a problem.

with this new info in hand, i'm going to confidently get those michelins. after i showed some concern about the tires not fitting, the manager at the tire warehouse offered to mount one and test fit it for me before purchasing, which is nice. having chitty's first-hand experience info really helps me out with time (especially since i'll be going on the clock!) and also in really bad weather (supposed to be 3-6" tommorrow and 8+" more on friday-saturday in a city where NOBODY can drive normally, much less with a little snow on the ground). and since DC is so pothole ridden, the extra .4" of ground clearance will be much-appreciated.

i'll reply with my first impressions once the deal goes down!

many thanks again.

9C1_2NV

TDI
Update! got the Michelins yesterday morning, right before our snow storm. after test fitting, the tires fit fine without any rubbing whatsoever. they definitely fill out the wheel openings more, and the ride is much smoother and quieter than any other winter tire-equipped vehicle i've either owned or driven. at slower speeds, <30mph, the speedo is correct or at most 1mph off. at highway speeds, the speedo is off by 2-3mph when compared to my gps unit.

they seem to handle well and the added sidewall height really improves the ride on the rough streets of DC through potholes and over speed bumps. when the snow started to fall @noon, the tires really started to shine. i made it home by 5pm and the storm was off to a good start with about 4" on the streets. i went for a ride to my buddy's house about 15 miles away so he could check out and test drive, and so i could see how well they worked.

the slightly taller tire helps to make 1st gear more useable while driving in town and creeping through traffic. i'm anxious to determine how vehicle performance (SOTP acceleration, etc.) are effected when the streets clear up. vehicle braking in this winter weather was dramatically improved.

pics to follow soon....i've gotta get back outside and shovel some more. :(

Last edited:

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
9C1_2NV said:
i know there is a speedometer adjustment for snow tires (+/- 5mph), but i definitely don't want to run into any scrapping/rubbing issues.
If you're referring to the winter tire submenu on the MFD, all that is is a warning to not exceed a certain speed when running your winter tires, as they may not be rated as high as the all-seasons. For example, it defaults to 55 mph. You exceed 55, the MFD beeps at you. You can increase or decrease it by 5 mph increments.

9C1_2NV

TDI
thanks for the correction moto, don't i feel like a jackass for not reading the entire owner's manual :eek: !?

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Hey you got a great deal on your wheels and tires!

I like upsizing but then I like the lift too!!

9C1_2NV

TDI
pics update

well now that we're getting snowed in.....again, i've finally got a chance between yuengling black & tan's to post some pics of the 205/60/16 michelin x-ice tires on steel wheels with VW covers. these were taken about an hour after i had them put on last friday, just minutes before the major snow started falling. let me know what you think...

Last edited: