Cam Seal Replacement

Matthew_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS galactic blue
MOGolf said:
VW:
"
Gradual introduction of PTFE oil seals (recognised by the fact that they have no inner circular spring and the lip is wider). The lip of this seal must not be smeared with oil or grease. An old-design radial seal (with inner circular spring) can be replaced by a PTFE seal. However, a PTFE seal cannot be replaced by an old-design radial seal."
Does anyone know why they say you can't replace a teflon seal with a traditional seal?

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
Matthew_S said:
Does anyone know why they say you can't replace a teflon seal with a traditional seal?
A Teflon seal places a coating on the shaft and the traditional seal will not seal at least most of the time it won't.

Greg

Matthew_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS galactic blue
LanduytG said:
A Teflon seal places a coating on the shaft and the traditional seal will not seal at least most of the time it won't.

Greg
Okay, so the purpose of the teflon seal is to prevent the seal from cutting into the shaft like traditional seals often do?

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
Matthew_S said:
Okay, so the purpose of the teflon seal is to prevent the seal from cutting into the shaft like traditional seals often do?
That is true but they still cut the shaft it just takes longer. Also they stay soft much longer and are used mostly in high heat applications.

Greg

TDI_Votex

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora Votex, 2003, Gris Platine
I know this is and old thread, but I feel I have to add this info. I have a Victor-Rienz 038103085C (teflon) in hand, and instruction are included. Note that there is a sleeve to help install on the cam shaft end.

rmc0428ecu

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI, 2001 Beetle TDI
I know this thread is old, but I just ordered a Diesel Geek Deluxe TB, and DG says specifically on his website to oil the spring type camshaft seal. Now I truly have no clue how to install this cam seal.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
DG says specifically on his website to oil the spring type camshaft seal.
The spring-type seals need to be oiled... the newer Teflon-type seals must be installed dry... (and left alone for 4 hours to recover their shape before starting the engine!!!) However:
If it's not leaking don't change it!
As runonbeer says, if you don't see any sign of leakage, leave it alone !!

Yuri

steevmac

TDI
2002 TDI Auto, 2004 TDI Manual Sedan, 2004 TDI Manual Wagon
Camshaft Seal Replacement

This is an old thread so hopefully it is still being read. When removing #1 cap to replace the camshaft seal, shouldn't the cap bolts replaced as they are stretch bolts.... or can you get away with using them more than once?

In the middle of a TB change now and have leaking seal. Cam lobes are fine so prefer not to pull the cap unless that is the only way. Has anyone used a seal puller without scouring the cam shaft?

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I think the seal installation tool I use is tool # 3265. Pretty cheap. Cheaper than new bolts. Small piece of electrical tape over the cam nose keyway will help prevent rolling the lip.

steevmac

TDI
2002 TDI Auto, 2004 TDI Manual Sedan, 2004 TDI Manual Wagon
Done... I used my old Nissan trick. I used my 90 degree Makita drill and drilled 4 holes in the old seal. Then 2 picks with 90 degree bend at the tip (Home Depot cheapies), worked each pick in each hole 2 at a time and opposed 180 degrees while pulling, after a minute of working it around it pulled right out. Covered the key way with electrical tape and leveled the new spring style seal in the hole by hand, then gently drove the seal home with a 1 5/16 socket.