www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old May 20th, 2017, 18:16   #6436
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
It's a Euro thing. Worth 20 style points....
I may get to swapping them and the B-pillar molding, too. Maybe....
I actually had a bit of a scare, this morning. Pete, left the car in gear... it's something I never do because of the remote starter. I used the remote starter, and I looked outside as I activated it. The B4 lurched into my freshly painted project car, and was pushing it towards the closed garage door. HOLY F**K, I never moved so fast! Thankfully, the car never started.
Amazingly, there was absolutely no damage to either car...
-Todd
Funny story time!

Years ago, as a tech working at a dealership, I was one of the guys installing remote starter kits when they first came out. Put one in the wifes car, relatives, many customers too.

Service advisor stalks me one day asking if I can install one in his car.

"Pete, your car is a standard - they only make them for automatics". (manual transmission remote-starters had not come out yet)

"C'mon - I never leave it in gear, just put it in"

Pete was an Ok guy, so I agreed, on the condition that I do it when we were dead in the shop, and officially, I never touched the car - if anyone came asking about it, I would deny I ever touched it. Pete agreed to my terms.

I did the install a few days later, and Pete was very happy. Remote start worked as advertised, and he always left it in neutral.

Pete enjoyed his remote starter for a good amount of time until... He had one of the lot lizards wash it and park it in a small gravel section of our parking lot.

I happen to be working in a bay, with the door open that has sightlines to the lot, and our drivethrough where Pete works.

The only indication I get that anything is wrong is hearing a car starting, a slight "thump", and Pete yelling and running frantically toward the back part of the parking lot holding his keys (and remote keyfob) high in the air frantically pressing the button.

Turns out that the lot lizard did in fact leave the car in 1st, and the car started in gear via the remote, and idled its way across that aisle into another car. Due to the lot being gravel, the car didn't stall. Rather, the wheels kept turning - digging into the gravel as it mashed bumpers with the car it hit (a Saturn).

By this time I put two and two together and knew what had transpired, just as Pete did the walk of shame back to the drivethrough. As he walked past my bay with me standing there grinning, he looked at me and said simply "not a f****ng word".

He ended up paying $500 or so to fix and paint both bumpers.

Thanks for making me remember!

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 13:18   #6437
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

As planned, I installed the belt line molding and the B-pillar trim that I painted a few weeks ago. Holy crap, that wasn't coming off no matter how much heat I applied! The part I painted had no trace of sealant.

That stuff was incredibly hard. Stripe Off wheel barely budged it.... just made a mess. It laughed at Goof Off and gas. Ended up cooking it with the heat gun until i got a trace of smoke then knifed it off with a plastic scraper.

About 6" of 3M molding tape, and this thing is secure. I didn't bother with the lower rivet. I covered the hole with some black Gorilla tape, and it's barely noticeable.

Vacuumed the car out, then messed around with the amber marker lights in another thread.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 13:52   #6438
Bob S.
Veteran Member

Spent a little bit of time tweaking (the darn auto correct changed it to twerking the first time, glad I looked at it before hitting post) my driver's door handle & lock. Works effortlessly & is a joy to open the door. After the new starter, it starts like a finely tuned race machine, simple key bump.

Such simple pleasures in life! Now on to the rear shocked & HD wagon springs. I hope the results are as pleasant.
Old May 24th, 2017, 19:38   #6439
Abacus
That helpful B4 guy

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S. View Post
I am surprised the moderators didn't catch that!
I did but cut you some slack since you still have a B4.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote