Golf 1.9 TDI Match Cam Belt Change Question

assetmover

TDI
VW Golf Match
I purchased my 105 bhp Golf 1.9 Match TDI a year ago from a VW main dealer. The car is on an 08 plate (2008) and had just one owner and 10,000 miles from new on the clock.

I have done 20,000 miles and the car is now four years old with a total mileage of 30,000, so a very low mileage car.

When I booked it in for a service the dealer wanted to change the cam belt as they say VW state this should happen at four years or 40,000 miles. The cost of this job at the dealer is £335

I realise that a cam belt wearing out could cause a lot of damagae so I guess that I must change it ? I wonder if I go to a non VW dealer who uses VW parts, like a Bosch Service Centre, if I can get the job done for less.

I wonder what other think/advise about changing the belt at this stage and the cost?

Ian D - Bedfordshire:)

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Don't bother changing it too early. The original VW recommendation is 150,000 km for the belt. No age interval specified but Contitech says change it every 6 years if you don't reach the mileage. Personally I wouldn't even consider changing the belt that early.