www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 13th, 2012, 18:23   #766
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurchalicious View Post
Their list price on the VDO unit was over $400 - all at the price of 128.99
How are they supposed to stay in business doing things like this? Volume?

Yuri

Pereat mundus, fiat musica!
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 20:31   #767
terrydtdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: BEST 58 ( 900 mile Club ) av. 46, worst 38, Mobil 1 TDT

Dan,

I tested my car today AC switch on / ignition on ( motor not running ) both fans came on. Good to go. This is a great write up.

However on my daughters 2000 Golf 2.0 gasser did the same test any nothing. Then I started the car and after approx. 60 seconds the small fan came on but not the large one. then it cycled on/off about every 2 minutes. My daughter said the large fan hasn't been running when she checked it.
So I dissassembled the large fan an noticed one of the brushes heated up and melted the plastic bracket so I cleaned the melted area up best I could so the brush could slide in/out easily. I reassemble and the fan, and after starting the engine it work along with the smaller one.
When the engine is running the AC clutch never disengaged but the fans contnued to cycle on/off every 2 minutes. Engine cold.
Does a 2.0 Gasser AC operate differently then a TDI???

Thanks
2K jetta gl tdi 5spd 388k, RC5+, 17/22, PP764's, ported head, ARP head studs, 11mm, 3" turbo back, Kerma OMI, PD150IT & race pipe, VR6 air box & MAF, Godspeed SMIC, 3 bar map, PD lift pump, 681 fift, TT LCA's, spindles, brakes, GLI rear brakes and interior, VR6 axles, mcnalley boost/egt gauge, SBC Stage 2 Endurance, bagged, Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Last edited by terrydtdi; May 13th, 2012 at 20:34.
terrydtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:45   #768
DanG144
Veteran Member

Terry,
The 2.0 gasser controls appear identical. There is no reason I can see for cyclic fan operation. Sometimes you see the fans shift to fast in hot weather, but never off.

Do her fans start even with the key on engine off, now, as they should?
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 20:57   #769
Lurchalicious
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymz View Post
How are they supposed to stay in business doing things like this? Volume?

Yuri
No idea - didn't know how they were selling the doorman unit for over 200 when auto zone up the street had it for a hundred less.

now the VDO - i only saw the "list" price on my receipt - looking it up on the website it sells for 280; big difference but hey - Oriley people work on commission, autozone doesn't - so its been in my experiences that the people at Oriley want my business and will compete for it... or perhaps I just had a lucky break.
Old May 15th, 2012, 06:21   #770
terrydtdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG144 View Post
Terry,
The 2.0 gasser controls appear identical. There is no reason I can see for cyclic fan operation. Sometimes you see the fans shift to fast in hot weather, but never off.

Do her fans start even with the key on engine off, now, as they should?
The morning I tested both of our cars it was cool outside. My fans came right on with engine off, and her car did not. Then when we fired up her engine I had her turn her AC on and the fans didn't come on until about 30 seconds then cycled back off in about 90 seconds or so, and then kept cylcing at that interval. All the while the clutch never disengaged.
I think I'm going to replace the large fan. One of the brushes is only about 5/16" long it keeps getting hung up in the bracket.

She is up at USC taking a Maymester, if you get a good opportunity one weekend I'll run up there and we can bring it by if you don't mind looking at the GASSER.

BTW her AC is colder than any car I've been in.

Edit: I'm curious what the fans do once the car has been running for a good while??
2K jetta gl tdi 5spd 388k, RC5+, 17/22, PP764's, ported head, ARP head studs, 11mm, 3" turbo back, Kerma OMI, PD150IT & race pipe, VR6 air box & MAF, Godspeed SMIC, 3 bar map, PD lift pump, 681 fift, TT LCA's, spindles, brakes, GLI rear brakes and interior, VR6 axles, mcnalley boost/egt gauge, SBC Stage 2 Endurance, bagged, Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Last edited by terrydtdi; May 15th, 2012 at 06:25.
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:03   #771
DanG144
Veteran Member

For you Terry, I'll look at a gasser.

It sounds to me as if only her fast speed fans are working, neither slow speed fan. We can check it out. The AC will work fine. The compressor will be working at higher than normal pressures and temperatures, and so its life will be shortened.
Old May 15th, 2012, 11:41   #772
schoolcb

Fuel Economy: 38-40, DSG & Leadfoot

Thanks for the post, fixed one of my fans this weekend, piece of cake with your pics. My fan setup was a little different, but it was a brush hanging up in the holder that caused the fan to stop working.

Why isn't this original post in the FAQ/DIY section????
schoolcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 18:40   #773
terrydtdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG144 View Post
For you Terry, I'll look at a gasser.

It sounds to me as if only her fast speed fans are working, neither slow speed fan. We can check it out. The AC will work fine. The compressor will be working at higher than normal pressures and temperatures, and so its life will be shortened.
Thank you Dan that's awsome of you. I know you hate the smell of
gas.

I will do the slow speed test before I bring it over and see what I come up with. I probably won't get a chance to run it by for a few weeks. But I'll try to do the test this Sunday afternnon if possible on my way through.

Last edited by terrydtdi; May 15th, 2012 at 18:43.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:29   #774
mwalters
Veteran Member

Thanks for this thread, guys! My A/C quit blowing cold air the other day and searched and found this thread. Seems my driver's side fan has broken the plastic "hub" away from the motor shaft. It sound like the motor runs, but the fan just sits there all loose and floppy. I ordered a Doorman replacement unit for about $90 shipped - should arrive tomorrow. I'll get that fan replaced and then see what else is screwed up.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:59   #775
MIGHTYDAD

I have a 2000 new beetle TDI 1.9
I turned my key on (not the motor) and turn my AC and the fan on low. The AC button lit up, but the cooling fans did not come on, neither one. Could this be why my AC isn't working?
MIGHTYDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:10   #776
DanG144
Veteran Member

The answer is maybe.
Start the car and look at the AC clutch, is it locking in? Is the center of the pulley turning, or just the outside edge?
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:50   #777
Johhny04
Veteran Member

Glad I stumbled upon this thread. Driver side fan not working after following simple test. Seems seized when trying to rotate the blades. Picking up a new one today. Hopefully didn't stress the A/C system that much this season. Also checked my brother car and his is fine. Thanks for a great thread DanG144!
Johhny04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 14:14   #778
FordGuy100
Veteran Member

Ordered two large fans for both of our cars....both of the large fans fail the test. Auxillery fans work great though!
Old May 25th, 2012, 12:03   #779
TDI_G
Veteran Member

Checked my fans last night and sure enough the fan on the driver's side is not working. I spun the fan by hand and it wasn't exactly smooth to say the least. I am picking up a new fan after work today and will replace it tonight. Glad I found it now as I have a 1,600 mile round trip coming up in a few weeks.
TDI_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 12:32   #780
passinpumps

Default A/C worked for 10 minutes after New FCM

I have an ongoing wicked problem with the A/C in my 2001 TDI Jetta with manual controls. I had no cooling fans and no A/C. Went through the diagnostic. Found that I had a bad driver side fan and replaced it. Both fans then worked when tested from the radiator sensor, but would not turn on with ignition on A/C + fan switch turned on.

Replaced FCM. Cooling fans worked and A/C turned on and worked for 10 minutes and quit. Vent temps were about 65 Degrees F. Measured from low side with cheap fill gauge while it worked (DID NOT ADD ANY REFRIGERANT) and pressure was about 35. Outside Temp was around 90 Degrees F. Then the cooling fans quit and A/C compressor shut down.

Cooling fans now turn appropriately when doing the test from the radiator sensor (and engage with Fuse 16 pulled), but neither the compressor nor the fans engage with ignition switch on or engine running.

What is the most likely cause? G65 Sensor reads duty cycle 31.6% @ about 92 Degrees outside temp. (I assume that the engine compartment is about 110 degrees).

Last edited by passinpumps; May 25th, 2012 at 18:27. Reason: Update
passinpumps is offline   Reply With Quote