www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:27   #166
cwarner
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG144
I would buy one off ebay for about $80, if I did not try to clean the brush holders myself. Or when the fan fails the next time after I have cleaned the brush holder once.

This is one case where the ebay fans are the same quality as the OEM fans - nothing to write home about.

CWarner, if you wish you could test your fans via the thermoswitch on the radiator.

It is pretty easy and definitive for the fans in slow speed. This is covered in the fan testing pdf at the bottom of post 1.

If I had my own gauges I would check the pressure next, if I did not, I would check the fans via the thermoswitch before I paid someone to check the charge pressures.
I will check the fans first... thanks. It figures I wait til we have one of the hottest weeks to do this ..
cwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:00   #167
srponies

Smile

I just began troubleshooting the A/C problem on my '02 Jetta. No fans and no compressor/clutch engagement. So I checked pressures (which there was) and then was going to bypass the coolant sensor in the radiator.

While checking the area I found the following:

Looked like it had rubbed thru the insulation and then corroded. This is the small red wire in the connector/pigtail to the FCM.

I soldered in a wire section to repair it. Plugged it all back in and the fans worked, and the comp. clutch engaged. Woohoo A/C..

Just figured that it's always good to check things thoroughly. Not always as obvious as this though. I'm glad it worked out this way for me.

Steve
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:11   #168
Vindiesel6
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42 - 52 mpg

I am experiencing A/C problems as well. My A/C compressor will not turn on and both fans spin fine. All the fuses are fine and the compressor plug seems to be getting the proper voltage. The system also has proper pressure. I believe either the fan control module or G65 switch is faulty. Anyone have suggestions on where to go from here?
-2002 Golf GLS TDI RC3, PP520's, ON CCV, OMI, race pipe, TT 2.5" Full stainless steel exhaust, Boostvalve, Eurojet SMIC, Bilstein HD & neuspeed softsport springs, swaybars, strut tower brace, lower tie-bar, short shifter, etc.
-2002 Golf GLS TDI ON CCV, Bilstein HD & neuspeed softsport springs, short shifter.
-2001 Audi TT Quattro 225
Vindiesel6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:29   #169
DanG144
Veteran Member

You must check the voltage to the compressor with the compressor plugged in to provide the proper electrical load on the circuit.

Use a safety pin through the wire and measure to ground. What do you get?

If you get 9.5 volts with the compressor plugged in, then check the compressor clutch electrical resistance. It should be 3-4 ohms.

If you get the proper voltage with the circuit loaded, then the problem is not your fan control module or the pressure sensor, it is the AC clutch or wiring.
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 12:57   #170
visionlogic
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 avg

Quote:
Originally Posted by srponies
Just figured that it's always good to check things thoroughly.
Amen to that, brother!

Thanks to this thread I found my driver's side fan to be inoperative and un-repairable. Got a new one and installed. All was perfect until I lost all my coolant due to the lower rad hose being cut by the spinning circumference ring on the new working fan. I didn't check things thoroughly enough.
Old June 24th, 2009, 20:10   #171
TheTDIWagonGuy

Fuel Economy: 40.3 us mpg 5.9L/100km

Dan you have assembled some excellent information! Have you considered organizing it into a trouble shooting flow chart?

Also do you know what RPM is slow and fast? Both my fans run and the fuses are good.

Thanks for your excellent write ups.
TheTDIWagonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 01:20   #172
DanG144
Veteran Member

I was tempted to try a troubleshooting flow chart, but it would be time intensive to prepare. I already have several hundred hours in what I have done so far.

If I have a slow period next winter I might try again.

The possible interactions between all of the components get so complex that it may be of little benefit.
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:02   #173
rico_law78

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta

Dan,

Thank you so much for all your help, man. I finally broke down and took it to an A/C guy. Turns out, I was just low on r-134a! He said there was just enough in there to engage the compressor, but not enough to cool. He filled it up, charged me $41 bucks and now it's working perfect!

Many thanks, your guides and patience with newbies like myself is MUCH appreciated.
rico_law78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:08   #174
rico_law78

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta

For the guy that might need a new compressor, here are a couple I found on Ebay. Some of them are OEM remanufactured.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Hope this helps....
rico_law78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 13:38   #175
toastblows
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/48/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico_law78

Thank you so much for all your help, man. I finally broke down and took it to an A/C guy. Turns out, I was just low on r-134a! He said there was just enough in there to engage the compressor, but not enough to cool. He filled it up, charged me $41 bucks and now it's working perfect!
I used this thread and tested all the connections with a volt meter etc etc and concluded it is the same problem you have as my best guess, so i took it to my nearest A/C repair place and they wanted $175 to "charge" up to 1lb of r134a...which included them "diagnosing" if the charge is low, or air is in the lines......i told them to go to hell.

Retired - 2003 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd - 51/48/40mpg
toastblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 13:31   #176
erpauling

TDI(s): 2000 Beetle

Does anyone know where to get AC hoses for a 2000 Beetle, other than the dealership? I have a hole in the hose coming off the Dryer.

Last edited by erpauling; July 1st, 2009 at 10:21.
erpauling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 14:28   #177
DanG144
Veteran Member

Try BTCost on the forum.

Dan
Old June 30th, 2009, 21:17   #178
nsxdubs

TDI(s): NONE YET

I know this might sound like a dumb question initially, but here I go, Both my fans were not working at all so I pulled them both out. if I don't use my a/c except on the highway is there any reason I need to replace them? Will the engine run too hot without them?
nsxdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 03:49   #179
DanG144
Veteran Member

The engine can run too hot without them.

Probably not as long as you are moving down the road at speed.

But in traffic. During and after climbing hills.

When pulling off the interstate into rest areas - any time you run hard then shut it off.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:19   #180
VDubbing
Veteran Member

are we talking the two plastic fans in front of the rad here??

2003 Jetta TDI Galactic Blue
235,000 K PP764 injectors, RC stage 3 VR6 clutch kit. Aluminum skid plate, GTI fogs .658 gear
VDubbing is offline   Reply With Quote