www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 20th, 2018, 19:40   #1
hugho

Fuel Economy: 52.3 on first tank
Default advice on which injectors to buy

A lot of great threads here. I have a nice 2002 tdi Jetta wagon with 250 K and a 5 spd manual swap, AT injectors(.138) and would like a wee more power at our altititude(6300 feet). Do I go for MT injectors or up a step to 205's? We may do a malone 1 or 1.5. I want economy above power. Winter starting here(very cold) seems not great. Economy 50 mpg where I bought it in California. Diesel purge has made it purr. Should I leave well enough alone?
hugho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 03:30   #2
red16vdub
Veteran Member

The manual and automatic injectors themselves are the same. The difference is the nozzles, stepping up to 205's will increase power and most likely fuel economy.

Bajan
17/56 turbo, RC ASV-5+ @ 28psi, 3 Bar Map, 11mm IP, PD Lift Pump, R520's, McNally boost/egt, Euro FIS full screen Cluster, PD 150 Intake/racepipe, PD 150 plastic T.I.P + R32 maf air mods, Kerma 2.5" Fmic, Kerma 3"T-B exhaust/resonator/ Aero turbine muffler, SBC stage 3 Endurance, GLi brakes F/R , GLi axles, H&R Bilstein sports cup kit.

Last edited by red16vdub; March 31st, 2018 at 18:11.
red16vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 07:13   #3
maxmoo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red16vdub View Post
The manual and automatic injectors themselves are the same. The difference is the nozzles, stepping up to 205’s will increase power and most likely fuel economy.

Bajan
^ I would agree.
Or even .216's with a clutch and a tune makes for a very nice daily driver without scraficing any milage.
Whatever you get I would suggest getting them professionally installed and balanced if you want top milage, power and starting ease.
I've had great results from DBW.

Last edited by maxmoo; March 21st, 2018 at 07:16.
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 08:27   #4
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Years ago I upgraded my nozzles to .205's and had a Stage 3 tune done as well. With four adults, luggage, and the CC set at 75 MPH I consistently got 52 MPG. In a large part your right foot affects FE more than a tune will.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 Custom TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2018, 14:16   #5
UhOh
Veteran Member

.205s do well to balance performance and mileage. As said, the right-foot is the biggest contributor. When you get new nozzles you, and done professionally, you'll get an FE bump just because the nozzles are new (and tend to be superior to the originals).

I'm running DLC520s in all three of my Golfs, with Malone Stage 2 tunes. Injectors on two cars (our DDs) are set to stage 1 fueling, while the other one is set to stage 3 fueling (and has an 11mm IP; car also has a 6spd). This combo is very nice for my mainly highway travels/commuting. My car's lifetime average FE (3 1/2 years of ownership) is a bit over 50mpg; wife's car is just under 50mpg; spare Golf is well over 50mpg, but it doesn't get driven a lot.

Last edited by UhOh; March 22nd, 2018 at 14:20.
UhOh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2018, 20:21   #6
h4vok
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 to 50

I would do some PP357 or DLC520 nozzles on the 11mm. When you install them you are going to gain power, but might have a little smoke. If you do the tune that will go away though. If you go with malone you will want the stage 1.5 or 2 depending on your clutch.

h4vok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 15:23   #7
ghohouston
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 Mpg

I would do dlc1019's. With no tune, and upgrading to those, my first alh was a fun little car, with an excellent jump in power over stock.
ghohouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2018, 04:17   #8
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghohouston View Post
I would do dlc1019's. With no tune, and upgrading to those, my first alh was a fun little car, with an excellent jump in power over stock.
DLC1019s are nice. I almost went with them. Anyway, yes, just up-sized nozzles can do a lot (though will need to bump up the IQ). I installed the DLC520s first just to see what it was like and it was a significant bump in power: had my car been like that to begin with I might not have even bothered with any tune (wouldn't have though it necessary). But, to REALLY take advantage of the fueling a tune IS what you want; of course, anything other than a mild tune will require a new clutch!
UhOh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 08:40   #9
hugho

Default Thank you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
DLC1019s are nice. I almost went with them. Anyway, yes, just up-sized nozzles can do a lot (though will need to bump up the IQ). I installed the DLC520s first just to see what it was like and it was a significant bump in power: had my car been like that to begin with I might not have even bothered with any tune (wouldn't have though it necessary). But, to REALLY take advantage of the fueling a tune IS what you want; of course, anything other than a mild tune will require a new clutch!
Thank you all for your responses. You have given me several options. I may have missed something but can new nozzles(one or 2 up in size like OEM or MT nozzles or say 205 or 520 be used without a tune or will it smoke? The clutch is a dual mass clutch new 30K miles back when the AT was replaced with a MT 5 spd.
Old March 28th, 2018, 09:14   #10
h4vok
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 to 50

I would use DLC706 (MT nozzles) or PP357 if you plan to run without a tune. If you plan to eventually get a tune the DLC520 will be ok. Anything larger will probably smoke a lot and may slip your clutch with all that fuel on the stock tune.

Last edited by h4vok; March 28th, 2018 at 09:16.
h4vok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 12:01   #11
ghohouston
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 Mpg

Dlc764's don't even slip my stock 285k clutch with no tune on my other 01. Not very smokey either. Neither were the 1019's.
ghohouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 12:21   #12
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

You might try the Power Enhancements forum for more ideas and info.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2018, 05:53   #13
Votblindub
Veteran Member

Sprint 520 nozzles also worked well for me.

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M, Frostheater Full details
Full details
FB page for wagon lovers I have VAGCOM/VCDS
Votblindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2018, 10:22   #14
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

The 1019s will not smoke excessively without tune on a stock ALH. You can get some haze behind the car if you hammer it, but it's certainly not "rolling coal." I've had them in my car for several years and like them.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2018, 11:21   #15
hugho

Default Thank you for advice on nozzles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
The 1019s will not smoke excessively without tune on a stock ALH. You can get some haze behind the car if you hammer it, but it's certainly not "rolling coal." I've had them in my car for several years and like them.
Thank you everyone for your advice. I have decided to get rid of the AT .138/158 injectors with 260K miles and do a Malone 1.5 from Cascade German. I will try out some low mile MT injectors(.184) which I have and see what happens since I already have them and have dismantled and cleaned and checked the nozzle orifices. I think going up to @ least .205's makes sense but the cost $150-200 + cost on injectors is a bit steep for our finances. If cold weather starting,power and economy don't improve then we will step up. Sounds like going to 205's will also require a Vag-com which I don't have and no local mechanics have so another $200. I have long believed that the enemy of good is "better". If this car wasn't a rust and dent free wagon I probably wouldn't pour any money into it but I believe in maintaining quality used vehicles rather than buying new because we are nearing the end of the automobile age and vehicles with sterling economy will become very valuable in the near future when oil becomes less available or more expensive. All those heavy suv's and pickups will be just sources of recycled iron.