www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old October 14th, 2017, 20:03   #16
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsig View Post
Isn't the DSG torque limited? Seems like you give up a lot if you don't tune it
I wonder how the DSG longevity is effected by the tune or more torque

I had larger injector nozzles and a tune on my 2002 Jetta automatic and never experienced any problems.

I will probably get the DSG tune done next year but I am told it's not necessary on the 2015's. Previous DSG' apparently are different.

BTW: I would imagine if you habitually hammer the throttle then it may cause problems, I for one do not.
All interior bulbs to LED. Several VCDS modifications. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes.LED DRL's.Average 1 year 30/6/16 to 30/6/17 - 50.71 Mpg - 5.56 L/h

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2017, 20:45   #17
Cuzoe

TDI(s): MK7 Golf S

"We're also well under way to releasing a kit on this platform." -Owain

Don't want to get too off topic buy how under way might we be talking, a few months out, a year? Keeping emissions equipment? I'm sure there will be more information when it's closer, I'm just impatient and excited.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Cuzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 00:15   #18
Owain@malonetuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzoe View Post
"We're also well under way to releasing a kit on this platform." -Owain

Don't want to get too off topic buy how under way might we be talking, a few months out, a year? Keeping emissions equipment? I'm sure there will be more information when it's closer, I'm just impatient and excited.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Yes it will be designed for both emissions components and race use. All of the part prototyping was done a long time ago we've just been working out details on castings, supply chain, turbo options, pump upgrades, drivetrain setups etc. I'd like to see it in the beta phase late this year, but that might be a bit ambitious and would only be in race trim with one turbo option. Mark has already tuned a fair number of big turbo commonrails so software should be the easy part, but we want to test everything thoroughly.

Quote:

Here's an 8 second car with a stock dq250, including clutches
https://youtu.be/FCzv4x13B34?t=1m39s

The only DSG failures I've heard of are in big turbo applications with stock DSG tunes and falsified torque output, like the GT28+ kits that were circulating years ago before some companies offered DSG tuning. Clutches are to be changed like a manual box, typically less frequently unless riding at lights. Once they start slipping that's usually game over for the clutches as there's a lot of heat involved.

One of our employees, Keir, worked for HPA for several years. They were the first to market in North America for DSG tuning on gas models and have tested these things thoroughly. Stock clutches are typically good for around 500lb-ft and aren't hard to change, blowing up manual transmissions is more likely since the DSG shifts better than a person. Yes DSG tuning is basically mandatory on bigger turbo applications. The ea288 in stock NA trim isn't even trying, tuned they're still below stock high trim euro models.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Last edited by Owain@malonetuning; October 15th, 2017 at 11:52.
Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 19:03   #19
Borsig

So you don't need DSG tune with stage 2?
What would be the difference in stage 2 with and without DSG tune?
I don't need a race car. But I'd like it to pull like a 2.0t

Borsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 06:32   #20
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
So you don't need DSG tune with stage 2?
What would be the difference in stage 2 with and without DSG tune?
I don't need a race car. But I'd like it to pull like a 2.0t
To sound like a hillbilly
Stage 2 she pull real good !!!

I don't care about jackrabbit starts, but I do about passing power and uphill power especially when in cruise control so it doesn't have to shift down and consequently higher RPM's.
All interior bulbs to LED. Several VCDS modifications. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes.LED DRL's.Average 1 year 30/6/16 to 30/6/17 - 50.71 Mpg - 5.56 L/h

Old October 16th, 2017, 07:00   #21
Borsig

This is my concern as well. I only really care about highway / on ramp / passing roll on throttle, and deep end torque going up mountain roads, etc

Old October 16th, 2017, 10:42   #22
Owain@malonetuning

On 2015s, not mandatory but recommended, on 09-14s it's pretty well mandatory unless you falsify torque output to the transmission. These will make more torque down low than any of the gasser lineup, the closest comparison would be the IS12 1.8T, which tuned puts down around 250lb-ft and isn't too far off for spool up. The diesel goes onto make another 40-50lb-ft though, and that torque value isn't surpassed by a GTI until you're about ready for another gear in the diesel. Tuned these put down stock 1.8TSI horsepower with another 120lb-ft. Definitely a nice improvement on these cars! I've been spoiled and have a hard time driving them in stock config now. These values are on our dynapack, all dynos read differently.

Old October 16th, 2017, 12:51   #23
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
If you looked closely at the link I posted it does say for the 2015 to click here !!!!
Yes it does have a small link buried in the page to the correct page. I don't understand why you would link to an incorrect page and expect someone to stumble on the correct link they know nothing about, buried half way down. Especially after discussing more than one tune (there is only one available for the 2015's, stage 2) in your post. Since there is only one tune and one price for it, that is all that can be chosen. No high end tunes or low end tunes at all. Just other options (DSG/Dynamic Idle/FlashZilla) in addition to the tune or by themselves.
Old October 16th, 2017, 13:46   #24
Owain@malonetuning

Mark has no problem doing custom tunes on the EA288s, either with higher or lower output. The vast majority of the market have stock vehicles and we haven't had a need to make a slower tune. Those with custom builds usually inquire directly.

Old October 16th, 2017, 15:33   #25
Borsig

I wish I could afford the DSG tune. Just don't know if I can right now. Would love to be able to quantify the difference in the with and without.

Mine is a 2015 golf with 20K on it. Recently purchased, has stage one of the fix. Not sure about doing anything before stage two or for fear of ruining that 162K warranty, but I really do want a tune. At least the flashzilla takes it back to stock?

We liked the way the 1.8T and 2.0T cars we drove handled the highway, but wanted the 162K warranty and uniqueness + MPG of the tdi (for a third time)

Old October 17th, 2017, 09:04   #26
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:

On our 15 Passat, we did notice some shudder at 1800 RPMS that was able to be taken care of by a slightly modded tune quickly provided by Owain. I believe the shudder was due more to the DMF than the DSG.
740GLE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 13:42   #27
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

The only time I notice anything is when I am stuck in heavy but moving traffic at about 40Mph on a slight incline and the RPM's are at around 1,200 - 1,300. Don't know if I call it a "shudder" or what. But she accelerates right up from there with no problem.

Old Yesterday, 08:08   #28
U4ick

JP,

Don't mean to go 180` off topic ( yeah I do ) but tell me about where you winter in Mexico.
Old Yesterday, 12:33   #29
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ick View Post
JP,

Don't mean to go 180` off topic ( yeah I do ) but tell me about where you winter in Mexico.
Near Manzanillo, Colima