the cactus.. 1997 Audi A4 110tdi quattro avant

jbh110tdi

TDI
1997 A4 110TDi quattro avant
Been a member for a while but never posted much.. My life has been busy with my youngest being in and out of hospitals.
so heres my old TDI...
Ive owned it 3 years past January its not my first VAG TDI but I must admit.. its the longest Ive kept one.. In fact its the longest ive kept a car.. :eek:
so here it is when I first got it...
It was stock just a private plate on it that was coming off.. I bought it cheap with a few weeks MOT and had to tax it to get it home.

Last edited:

jbh110tdi

TDI
I had a FWD 110tdi avant that I broke when I bought this.. I swapped over the good bits I could and sold off the bits that were no use to me..
this was it within a few weeks.. 2 new rear springs for its MOT
the S4 xenons fitted and my half leather TQS fitted to replace the standard cloth, chipped ECU from my old car ( 145bhp and 295nm ) .. and my 17's ( yes they need refurbished )

Last edited:

jbh110tdi

TDI
so it got used for its first winter with us... great tool for the weather we get.. it never let us down or got stuck.. there was newer cars and even a Jaguar x type thing got stuck.. the quattro just plodded through

jbh110tdi

TDI
so the rear caliper decided to drop all the brake fluid out in the drive one night.. so this left me no option...

rears..
facelift S4 vented and baided goodridge hoses

it would be rude not to do something with the front while I was at the brakes...
312mm front carriers..

new calipers fitted and the 312mm conversion done up front.. and I changed the wheels while I was in there..

jbh110tdi

TDI
I noticed the front subframe had a bit of rust but I had kept the one off the old car which was in good condition.. so I was needing to change a few suspension arms so just went the full hog..
rusty one....

new one in place with a full suspension arm kit..

jbh110tdi

TDI
so at this point we started moving house.. it got run over for an MOT and then parked up.. the steering rack started leaking.. the front springs were broken.. one of the rears that I had replaced had also broke.. it got parked up for nearly a year as the new house and family took priority.. so about 4 weeks ago I decided I needed to pull my finger out and do something..
new S4 dampers / eibach springs fitted all round, new steering rack, decat, PD130 turbo, EGR delete, timing belt / water pump, power steering pump, clutched pulley and a few other bits and bobs.. Ive still to fit the 0.216 nozzles.

she's been back on the road a few weeks now but its just past 200k and going well..
I need to finish of painting the S4 front bumper. start on the side skirts. get a driver side wing and get a few bits of the paintwork sorted.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Very nice. Wish we had a6 TDIs over here. Where did you source the caliper brackets to fit the 312mm discs?

jbh110tdi

TDI
Very nice. Wish we had a6 TDIs over here. Where did you source the caliper brackets to fit the 312mm discs?
cheers

yea I always fancied an A6 avant tdi quattro but they only came with the v6 2.5tdi as a quattro hence Ive kept hold of the A4 as I don't like the V6 tdi engine.

the caliper carriers are from an Audi S3 they bolt straight on. I used standard A4 B5 calipers ( bought new ones as one of mines was seized solid. ) the discs used are from a v6 3.0 B6 A4

worth while upgrade if your thinking on doing it to you're Passat. there is a few cars that use the same carrier.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Do you have the part# for the carriers? I believe the only car they came equipped on on this side of the pond are a Audi TT's

jbh110tdi

TDI
Do you have the part# for the carriers? I believe the only car they came equipped on on this side of the pond are a Audi TT's
Im sure its 8N0 615 125 if it helps if you trawl ebay.co.uk you can look for s3's and there was a few seat cupras with them and the golf r32

If you find a set in the UK if the seller isint willing to post I would be happy to be the middle man. get them sent to me then organise a courier to collect them from me if this would work out cheaper im happy to help.

I got mine off a boy on eBay breaking an S3 and got them for about £40 posted

jbh110tdi

TDI
Great car! Cool pictures- thanks for posting!
cheers. its not mint but its came a long way from when I bought it.
we bought it as a 2nd car but its grown on me... It goes better than the 15 plate seat Leon we have..

when we first got it we had a newer Polo but that got left as an ornament as the Audi got used more..

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Is that the bright blue Polo in the picture (SX51)? What did you think of it?
Is that the A frame arm that was so rusted? Do they salt the roads in Scotland?
200,000 miles is quite a bit for a car in your area, isn't it?
The A4 Avant is a 1.9L? What is the engine code?

jbh110tdi

TDI
Is that the bright blue Polo in the picture (SX51)? What did you think of it?
Is that the A frame arm that was so rusted? Do they salt the roads in Scotland?
200,000 miles is quite a bit for a car in your area, isn't it?
The A4 Avant is a 1.9L? What is the engine code?
yes it was the blue one in the picture.. In all fairness it was a small car which got bought for the wife but personally.... I hated it!! it was a 3 cylinder 1.4tdi.. it didint like hills.. it didint like motorways... I had a FWD A4 avant tdi at the time which was my work horse and the 2nd car. when I got chance of the quattro I jumped at it at the price. the polo didint last long afterwards.
our youngest went into hospital for major spinal surgery and the Audi proved more reliable during this time than the Polo.

yes they sadly salt the roads here.. I do like to get the cars jacked up and power washed underneath after the winter but sadly the rust had got to the subframe before we got it.

yes its the 1.9 engine code is AFN

a lot of folk are scared off high miles cars and would class 200,000 as high.. Ive had a few with higher and its not worried me. this still pulls as good as it should. its 20 years old so its done 10k a year.. thats not high in my eyes but yea some folk would run away from it.

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Sorry to hear about the hospital trips. Hopefully TDIClub can provide a small but pleasant distraction every once in a while.