New Jetta TDI owner

jlongjohn

TDI
2012 Jetta 2.0L TDI
Just bought our first TDI, 2012 Jetta automatic. Runs amazing. 130k miles and was not modified under the emissions program. Had an egr light and cleared, has not reset but thinking of deleting. Any recommendations on the delete vs a new dpf and egr service? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is no "EGR light". I assume you mean the MIL (Check Engine Light) was on, and it had a stored EGR related DTC, probably an insufficient flow code?

Are the insides of your tailpipes sooty? You likely have a cracked DPF, which allowed soot to pass through and eventually clogged up the low pressure EGR filter tube. This is (was?) common. There was a TSB about it. Water under the bridge post Dieselgate.

You have a couple options.

1: Buy a new DPF, and a new EGR tube, and install it and motor on. It will likely some day happen again, but it may take a while. You cannot buy the old style EGR tube, as the Fix employs a new one with no filter can. This sucks, because now when the DPFs crack, the soot will go straight into the air inlet tract into the turbocharger. I cannot imagine this is something that will be good over time. You can try cleaning the existing tube, by soaking it in some caustic cleaning agents. I have done that a couple times. I also still have a new-in-box one if you want to buy it cheap, as I will likely never need it.

2: try and have the Fix applied to your car, but the dumb thing is, they'll only do the Fix if there is nothing "broken" on the car, even if the thing that is broken will be getting replaced and/or will be warranted as part of said Fix. This of course means your car may not operate as well as it does now, and you may find that MIL on repeatedly and you will get to know all the service writers at your local dealership on a first name basis. Lots of my customers end up ping-ponging back and forth like this.

3: if you can circumvent any local laws or checks, delete the whole mess and enjoy a slightly more smelly (at the tailpipe) yet more efficient and faster car that won't give you any of these headaches ever again. Know that this IS technically illegal (Federal law prohibits any tampering with any emission control devices, no matter if any local checks exist).

4: keep driving it as it is. Eventually, the soot passing through the cracked DPF will clog up the catalyst, and you'll lose power and potentially harm the engine and/or turbocharger.

jlongjohn

TDI
2012 Jetta 2.0L TDI
Yes sorry I should have been more specific. MIL P0401 was present. Since I only drive off-road :) I am looking at the delete but not right away. I was interested in how cleaning the existing EGR tube would go. Would be interested in that one you have also, that would give me some time until I save up for the delete kit.

Sorry to hear about that new design. Ouch. The egr tube not having any filtration is just asking to kill a turbo. I guess they like selling parts and labor though...

Another question, I don’t presently have VCDS so what do I need to install the ECM tube required for a delete? That’s a topic I have not researched yet.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You will have to contact a tuner, they may have a device they can mail you that can load software via the DLC, or they may have you send the ECU to them.

I can send you my new pipe (I even have one new gasket with it) for $75 shipped if you like. I think new they were around $170. However, if your tailpipes are sooty, the clogged EGR pipe is a symptom, not the problem. So it won't fix anything permanently.

jlongjohn

TDI
2012 Jetta 2.0L TDI
So I am definitely set on the delete at this point. Just finished doing a new timing belt, water pump, thermostat, oil change, drive belt, and all pulleys. The ac compressor is shot so while things are out of the way I’m going to put a new compressor and ac kit in. Then the delete kit. Any ideas on whether I can drive without the tune for a while with the delete or is it an instant need? I guess if I delete I would not need the pipe correct?

Art van Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
Suspension 2013 JSW

I've been away from this forum for about 18 months b/c I sold my 2003 wagon (46.3mpg w/ 143K tracked miles) and have been enjoying a relatively nuttin broke, maintenance free 2013 JSW (43.4mpg w/ 20K tracked miles.) It's been sweet!
Recently I noticed that I could no longer fit my shoe b/t the top of the rear tires and the fender. I called the dealership and I was told the rear springs probably broke resulting in the lowering. Since I had a limited 2y warranty on the March 2018 purchase I obtained an appointment to have it looked at. I was told a $50 deductible would apply.
I really miss the added ground clearance afforded by the Metalnerd 2" lift which was on the 2003. Do you think the dealership will agree to replacing the OE rear springs w/ Tiguan springs? The car now has 78K. Is this a good time to request rear shock replacements as well since they will be need to be removed to replace the springs? Any other suggestions to enhance ground clearance?
Best!

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
It depends on your dealership, some are game for upgrades, others 100% oem. But if you are claiming it under the certified preowned warranty, it is going to be 100% oem as the car came from the factory.