Help me track down an EGR leak on my Jetta

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Hello, I have a 1.9 TDI Jetta BEW with about 55k miles on it, since I got it it has had this weird noise when letting go of the throttle at certain rpms 2-3k usually, or when coasting down a hill, it sounds kinda like a pressure leak or a deflating tire. Its been going on for like 6 months, recently it seems to have progressed and now I also hear it while accelerating under boost from time to time, it sounds exactly like a teapot or kettle when its boiling, heres a video: https://youtu.be/VuYrjcxf_8w

The sound is not always present and seems to be random sometimes at 2k rpms, sometimes between 3-4k and if I accelerate more it goes away, the sound is not always there and I can also hear it while revving in neutral. Its worth noting the car runs great, no smoke, no oil loss, good power. This leads me to believe it is not a boost leak but rather and egr or exhaust, turbo is quiet most of the time except when this noise randomly decides to pop in. Can anyone please tell me how I can trace this issue down? Or if my assumed diagnostic is correct. I appreciate any input thank you in advanced. I might not be able to fix the issue inmediately so would this issue pose a risk to my turbo or damage anything else?

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Hello, I have a 1.9 TDI Jetta BEW with about 55k miles on it, since I got it it has had this weird noise when letting go of the throttle at certain rpms 2-3k usually, or when coasting down a hill, it sounds kinda like a pressure leak or a deflating tire. Its been going on for like 6 months, recently it seems to have progressed and now I also hear it while accelerating under boost from time to time, it sounds exactly like a teapot or kettle when its boiling,heres a video: https://youtu.be/VuYrjcxf_8w
The sound is not always present and seems to be random sometimes at 2k rpms, sometimes between 3-4k, the sound is not always there and I can also hear it while revving in neutral. Its worth noting the car runs great, no smoke, no oil loss, good power. This leads me to believe it is not a boost leak but rather and egr or exhaust, turbo is quiet most of the time except when this noise randomly decides to pop in. Can anyone please tell me how I can trace this issue down? Or if my assumed diagnostic is correct. I appreciate any input thank you in advanced. I might not be able to fix the issue inmediately so would this issue pose a risk to my turbo or damage anything else?
The teapot sound you hear is the EGR valve itself. Over time, the spring gets weak and you hear that noise. Mine did the same thing (it was more like a chirp), blocked the valve off as a test and problem went away. Replaced vale and haven't had a problem since. Buy a GOOD QUALITY replacement, not a paper weight...

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
The teapot sound you hear is the EGR valve itself. Over time, the spring gets weak and you hear that noise. Mine did the same thing (it was more like a chirp), blocked the valve off as a test and problem went away. Replaced vale and haven't had a problem since. Buy a GOOD QUALITY replacement, not a paper weight...
Oh well that seems easy could a good cleaning perhaps solve the issue? Also how did you block it off to test it?

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
Oh well that seems easy could a good cleaning perhaps solve the issue? Also how did you block it off to test it?
Made a gasket out of sheet metal to block it off with a matching bolt pattern. In my instance, a cleaning did not help. However, cleaning is free so I'd still try it.

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Made a gasket out of sheet metal to block it off with a matching bolt pattern. In my instance, a cleaning did not help. However, cleaning is free so I'd still try it.
Do you think the valve is also responsible for the blow off valve sorta sound I get when I get off the throttle? Or when coasting down hills with no throttle input? I'll clean it and see if that makes a diference. Could this issue risk damaging other parts of the engine? Im not sure if I can afford a replacement valve right this moment.

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Also, could I test it by disconnecting the vacuum line on the valve itself?

Edit: Confirmed its the EGR valve, had someone rev it while I was outside listening and it whistles clearly when the engine is cold. That would explain why I dont see soot on the rest of the piping for the egr or on the firewall directly behind, gonna try cleaning it before I replace it.

Last edited:

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
If anyone is interested, the valve was plugged up with carbon on the bottom where it connects to the rest of the egr system, cleaned it and issue is gone.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
If anyone is interested, the valve was plugged up with carbon on the bottom where it connects to the rest of the egr system, cleaned it and issue is gone.
THANK YOU for replying with the results of your repair!!

xadzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Well, the sound is back and now it makes it more often, guess I need to replace the valve since cleaning it made it go away for a while. Anyone knows if keeping it with a bad? valve like that cause any other issues or am I good? Car drives fine.