2005 Jetta TDI-Engine Light-Transmission Code

Jhlee102089

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Hey everyone,

I just joined today but I’ve found a lot of helpful information on here so I want to say first of all that I appreciate you all.

I have a 2005 Jetta TDI with 157,000 miles. Over the weekend my check engine light came on and it read code P0733 “Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio”. Later on that day the light went off and stayed off for almost a full day before coming back on again.

My dad originally purchased this car with about 60k miles on it and since then it has not had a transmission flush. [I found this out after talking with him about the light coming on over the weekend]

I have read that it could be a variety of things such as dirty transmission fluid (hopefully), or bad solenoids—or worse. When I drive it I feel it bump a little bit when either taking my foot off the gas while driving and putting it back on, or when accelerating from a stop.

I have been driving it in “4” since the light came on. I am getting it checked out on Wednesday at a local shop here in Phoenix that specializes in VW.

My reason for this post is to see if anyone has input as to why the light would go off? It seems if it were mechanical it would have stayed on, but I could be wrong. I also wanted to see if anyone has experienced something similar that could chime in that, way I have a bit more knowledge before bringing it in Wednesday.

Thank you for your help.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Welcome!
Have you perused this?
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17117/P0733
Also, I hope your mechanic knows the TDI.
These are not "just VW's"...
There's a list of Trusted Mechanics here, and if the shop you selected
is not on it, you might consider taking it elsewhere:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044
Believe me when I tell you, even the best VW mechanics can have
very little experience with the diesels. They are relatively rare, and going out of fashion but quick.
I really recommend you find someone who sees them all day long if at all possible.
EDIT: Oh yeah, the above applies double to VW dealerships...steer clear for anything but batteries!

Last edited:

Jhlee102089

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Hey,

Thanks for the response, it is automatic.

The shop I’m going to isn’t on that list, I’m going to call one from the list tomorrow though.

I appreciate the feedback!