PHOTOS: Climatronic Swap and more...

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I've recently added a few things to my TDI, lets start off first by saying I am far from a mechanic, I'm just some d****** who likes to spend lots of money on his car like its an addiction... err it is I guess an addiction :D

So this is a purely a post of what I did since some members have asked to see whats involved and by no means a complete DIY blah blah blah use this info at your own risk.

Links to where I got my information from:

Climatronic Swap (has links to other sites on it): http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/332130.aspx

Half MFA Install: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=48366

Glovebox AC (see post #20): http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=80023&page=2

The install is being done on a 2001 Jetta TDI, reason for this whole idea was because of a trip to h2oi in Ocean City 2 years ago. My heater box broke en route, ac stopped working and it was only blasting heat for the rest of the trip. diagnosed it to a broken blend door and since thius was my summer car I just bypassed the coolant to avoid the heater box and bingo, no heat but ac still worked. Last fall got cold so I looked for a solution this winter. Found a sweet deal on a complete climatronic swap and bought it long before I knew what was involved.

I apologize in advance, only have a cell phone camera and I didn't take as many pics as I should of.

I had the wiring loom out all winter matching wires up to diagrams and pin outs from the link above. After I got that all straightened out I started.

You need to go from this:

To this:

This was the longest process, removing all the interior bits and the dash. Seats out of course, can't imagine doing it with them in. At this point I already had the old heater box out, note I got frustrated and ending up bending a part to the left of the passenger airbag to get the box out, it is big and I don't know how you'd take it out without removing the whole dash bar. But the peice bent back fine and so far no issues haha. Also took this time to clean up my wiring disasters from previous projects, everything is zip tied to the oem wire harness so it looks clean, alot more than it did lol.

The old box on the left, climatronic on the right:

My box was the t17 and t12 loom.

Next was wiring up the loom.

Some of the existing wiring was still usable so I cut and spliced instead of running new wires. They were all for the t17 connector, pins:

1 to Fuse 25
3 to T10/8(orange connector in plenum)
5 to Fuse 5
10 to any illumination wire

So that saved some time.

Next I wired up the sunlight sensor:

Pin 2 went to pin 8 of the t17 connector
Pin 3 went to pin 8 of the t12 connector
Pins 1 and 4 were unused.

The outside temp sensor, this is the connector wired up to be put in the rain tray:

This is where I mounted it in the rain tray, just used the wiper linkage mounts on the passenger side, the one closer to the ecu.

Only 2 pins on this so,

Pin 1 went to pin 5 of the t12 connector
Pin 2 went to pin 8 of the t17 connector(same as the sunlight sensor)

Finding the orange connector in the plenum was a challenge, I ahd no idea what or where to look for, eventually it was found on the driver side of the rain tray under the wiper linkage and motor:

Then from the driver side under the dash I discconnected all the relays and pulled that appart completely so I could get at this connector better:

Pin 9 of this connects to pin 4 of the t17 connector
Pin 7 goes to pin 12 of the t17 connector

Last edited:

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Next was the cluster connections and this is were the half MFA came into play, I was doing stuff there anyways so why not.

2 sockets on the back of the cluster, blue and green, here's the blue:

Pin 3 of this went to pin 10 of the t12 connector

Then the green one pulled apart:

Pin 26 of this went to pin 12 of the t12 connector

This is the connection you'd make to the outside temp sensor if you were just doing the Half MFA conversion. ie pin 26 of this would go to pin 1 of the OAT sensor.

Pin 25 of the green connector goes to pin 4 of the wiper stalk t6 connector
Pin 24 goes to pin 1 of the t6 connector
Pin 23 goes to pin 2 of the t6 connector

And pin 3 of the t6 connector goes to ground.

Quick pic:

Last connections that need to be made outside the cabin, the ones to the fan control module. I completely forgot to take pics of this, but its located right under the battery, I had my bumper off already and the battery tray removed so it was easy to do.

Bridge pins 5 and 14 of the t14 connector.
Pin 8 of the t14 goes to pin 2 of the t12
Pin 12 of the t14 goes to pin 9 of the t12

Then a couple minor connections I again didn't take pictures of:

Pin 1 of the t12 connector goes to pin 7 of the obd port (I just connected to the k wire running to my stereo instead, wire went to the same place)

Pin 6 of the t17 connector went to any ground.

Wired everything up nicely, tucked it all away, then connected the clima box with the head unit up to test it.

It worked! Now I could put the box in place and reconnect everything in the engine bay(Coolant lines and the ac lines).

Got more stuff connected and decided it was break time, started the car, let it warm up to test the climatronic functioned properly with heat. It did!

Next up was the glovebox ac mod which is pretty easy, first drill a hole in the front of the clima box, where I drilled my hole makes the ac only recieve ac when its set to the dash vents, and there is a control in the glovebox anyways to block the flow of air/limit it.

Then put the hose in and route it where it eneds to go.

Attach the end add a zip tie to hold it straight.

Trim the white insulation.

Took some playing around to line it up perfectly with the glovebox hole, it doesn't click in which I found strange but then again the parts aren't made for this in a mkiv.

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Then you do the reverse to what you did to take the dash out and you get back to this.

Couple more shots:

And then the virgin trip with everything wired up and working properly, great fuel economy

But not the second time out :rolleyes:

Like to thank a few people like:

Brendan from Bramgate aka Brendub (I believe on here) for sourcing lots of the parts for this project
Nigel aka Wingnut for meeting up with me to program the half mfa cluster even tho I made him late!
Ryan aka VW_Newf for giving me the motivation I needed to do this since it's one thing I'll have on him because he won't do it ;) oh and he helped out over the course of it all whenever I needed him to

Last edited:

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Wow

Sure looks like a lot of unpleasant work.

I'll be parting an 02 GTI with climatronic in a few weeks if anyone close to me is interested in this project. Way too much wireing and dash play for me.

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Yeah tried that, both the climatronic and half mfa were set correctly but still show up in Fahrenheit. Maybe someone knows why? I'm still looking into it.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Yeah tried that, both the climatronic and half mfa were set correctly but still show up in Fahrenheit. Maybe someone knows why? I'm still looking into it.
Try this:

Ignition on.....press auto and econ buttons together and it is supposed to flip.

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Got the head unit with the climatronic box and wire loom, local guy off vortex was selling it, he cleared out alot of his euro goodies, has a full fis cluster for sale still but don't think it'll work on diesels, sawdust is his name on the tex

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
That did the trick! Thanks again Nigel!

What does the Econ button do exactly? Don't really notice a difference when I press it.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
That did the trick! Thanks again Nigel!

What does the Econ button do exactly? Don't really notice a difference when I press it.
The ECON button is short for economy. It turns off the A/C when you are driving. The rest of us who have normal cars ;) have an manual A/C, so we have to push the A/C button to turn on the A/C. Because yours is now automatic, whatever your temp is set at, the car will keep the cabin at that temp automatically, which could require the use of the A/C depending on the outside temp. By hitting the ECON button, you are manually overiding the climatronic to keep the compressor off to save fuel.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I don't normally cross post, but trying to get this fixed tonight thanks!

Alright I have my unit in and a few issues. I have this code:

EOBD II Error Code: 01272

Fault Location:
Positioning Motor for Central Flap (V70): Faulty

Possible Cause:
Wiring/Connectors from/to Positioning Motor for Central Flap (V70) faulty.
Positioning Motor for Central Flap (V70) blocked.
Positioning Motor for Central Flap (V70) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check Positioning Motor for Central Flap (V70).
See Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Perform Output Test.
Perform Basic Setting.
Check/Repair Wiring and Connectors.

I swapped the wiring between the other solenoid next to the v70 (v68 I think) and the problem stayed at v70? I did multiple output tests and some passed, while some failed. All threw the same 01272 v70 faulty code.

Also an unrelated issue is the radiator fans stay on all the time. Sounds like I need to wire to my AC switch instead. I wired to pins 8 and 12, and installed the jumper from 5 to 14.

james12lucy

Veteran Member
TDI
MK-IV Jetta
Sinc, are you running two sets of gauges now? I noticed you've got an A-Pillar pod in the first photos and a steering column pod in the post Climatronic swap photos...

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Nash, sounds like you'll have to wire to the high pressure ac switch or I think in one of the links one of the guys wired on a rocker switch to it and that takes care of the rad fan issue, you'd have to read into it more.

As for the code it's throwing, I had an issue with the blend door motor, I just took it apart and lubed it up, worked it a bit and everything worked again. Sounds like yours might be pooched, should be a part number on it, it is replaceable.

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Sinc, are you running two sets of gauges now? I noticed you've got an A-Pillar pod in the first photos and a steering column pod in the post Climatronic swap photos...
Always had 2 sets of gauges, 2 on the a pillar (oil temp and oil pressure) then 2 on the column (egt and boost).

The oil psi and temp were just because I don't trust the dash oil light, the pressure will drop right away on the gauge so I can hopefully save the engine. Then the temp was to see how well my touareg oil cooler I put in works, and yeah it works, that needle hardly moves lol.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Did you guys have a 3 or 4 wire pressure switches. Mine is 3 and throwing me for a loop on the climatronic wiring.

Pin 1 Orange w/ black
pin 2 white
pin 3 black w/ blue

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Never had to hook into the pressure switch, post in the non tdi engine upgrades, that's all I did. I'm not sure about that.

LexDube

TDI
dad's Q7 3.0 TDI :p (mine's a Jetta Vr6 24v)
I am presently doing the swap and I'm stuck at the remove hvac box step, my dash is out, the box disconnected (coolant and ac) and unbolted from the firewall it moves but it doesn't want to get out at all... Did i forgot something or any advice on how to pull on it to remove it

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Did you get the 2 steel supports on the dash bar that are on either side of the radio?

Even after those come out you either have to take the whole dash bar out which didn't look like fun around the steering column or I just bent the passenger side support up then unbolted the bar so it would move a little. Little but of elbow grease and it came out.

LexDube

TDI
It was worse than that I forgot two bolts at the firewall now it is installed and I managed to make it partially running (plugged to all 12v fused sources, illum and obd plug) i just wonder with all the space i dont have (courtesy of the 24v lump under the hood) where can I feed the wires to the rad fan control module

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I had my battery and air box out so I could just run the wires with the main harness all the way to the rad fan control.

LexDube

TDI
So I just run the wires in the channel/cowl/plenum chamber or I try to find where the harness is going into the firewall (So much wires in there its easy to get lost)

LexDube

TDI
Okay I did found where to feed the wires in the firewall but i have a major issue here now my headlight are trying to melt the switch wires when I turn them on is it related? I did double checked everything and my climatronic wiring is properly connected