Passat 2.0 MPG mods

kd7skx

TDI
None
Hi all,

Trying to find 2.0, 2005, modifications, mainly for the passat, but any will do. I have worked with my buddy on his 1.9 to improve his mpg. We deleted the egr and tubing, cleaned out the intake manifold and straight piped his exauhst. Can this be done on the newer 2.0 tdi? What other mods are there for improved MPG. I know there are tuning and injectors as well, but im only looking for mpg not so much power gains. Power is cool if it comes with the mpg, but not my main goal.

Thank You for any help.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
The biggest single change (by far) you can make to MPG is to modify driving style. I went from 45mpg to 70mpg+ (UK) on my Passat. Don't even think about other mods until you've explored that to it's fullest.

kd7skx

TDI
None
Thanks for the tip. I have learned the hard way to keep my foot out of it. I just like tinkering with engines and was wondering what I could physically change to help out mpg. I know the more restriction you remove from diesels the better, thats my main goal.

Bkcorso

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
The right foot mod is usually what you hear from this crowd. :p ( while it may be true, it would be nice for car mods to be listed and what aprox mpg gain they CAN provide )

There are a lot of things you can do, and a custom tune is usually top of the list for both mpg and power. Tires and how much air is in them are a big one too. I also noticed regained mpg when I replaced my injectors that had 200k on them. depending on speeds, aero mods are also available.

Maybe we need an mpg mod section, and a driver mod section. LOL

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
The service, new air/oil/fuel filters, replacement of the dodgy temperature sender, and also some mild aero mods (exhaust tunnel cover, & winglets on the front wheel arches), together seem to be giving me 1% - 2% better MPG. It'll only be clear on the next full tank though.

Driving like a vicar, on 40psi (but still not LRR) tyres is giving me about 25-30% more MPG on the Audi. Of that maybe 1 or 2% is the tyre pressure.

My objection to things like a custom tune is based on cost versus the benefit. Sure, they'll improve your MPG slightly (if you can restrain yourself from using the extra power!) but I don't think they'll repay the cost in a reasonable period.

Useful sticky thread on MPG:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=200694

Last edited:

kd7skx

TDI
None
The right foot mod is usually what you hear from this crowd. :p ( while it may be true, it would be nice for car mods to be listed and what aprox mpg gain they CAN provide )

There are a lot of things you can do, and a custom tune is usually top of the list for both mpg and power. Tires and how much air is in them are a big one too. I also noticed regained mpg when I replaced my injectors that had 200k on them. depending on speeds, aero mods are also available.

Maybe we need an mpg mod section, and a driver mod section. LOL

Cool thanks for the help, I have been trying to find 2.0 specific tunes to buy but google isnt really helping me out. Where and what are the tunes available?

Aero mods? Is this lessening the drag on the car?

Have you guys deleted the egr at all and cleaned up the manifold? Im used to the 1.9 so I am learning more about the 2.0 as I go.

thanks again.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Aero mods? Is this lessening the drag on the car?
Exactly so. Aero mods will improve the MPG at highway speeds but will have no detectable effect on city MPG.

The most productive area of aero modifications is cleaning up the untidy underneath of the car. The mods on my car are winglets to get the airflow to bypass the front wheel wells, and an exhaust tunnel cover. Both of these parts are standard on the Audi A2 1.2 TDi (the ultrahigh MPG version), so I just ordered them from Audi. I also ordered a spoiler for the subframe (which is also a standard component), but fitting it involves drilling through the subframe's toughened steel, and I haven't tried doing that yet.

Aerodynamics are very complex, and often mods which seem to make sense actually end up hurting the aerodynamics (many spoilers for example), so you need to be careful.

But as I said earlier, I don't really think that my mods will repay themselves any time soon. Few mods affect MPG by more than 1%.

Bkcorso

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Passats have even less of a crowd for drawing experience from.
Tires are huge imo,, they can rob 10% I had bridgestone potenzas.... omg mpg killers.
went to mich energy savers and got an immediate improvement. Keep in mind, these tires have totally different designs.

nff405599

TDI
2010 Jetta
I have a 2010 Jetta TDI and have taken about 10% penalty since the government mandated modification. I am thinking of a newer Passat and wonder if anyone has had the modification who has an analysis of the change in mpg?
Thanks,
Butch