Lets talk about the ALH motor

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
But look at the well rounded education you are getting by reading this useless information :eek:

Herm, do you live fairly close to Baxter State Park....Mt. Katadin? Well, one of these days, I am going to Thru-hike the Appalachian Trail (Georgia to Maine).

Anyway, when I get there you can kick my arse for needleing you!:D

Nothing like being a good sport about some ribbing!

john weeda

TDI
Driving a 2004 ford ranger 4x4 tdi alh
dose any one know the alh block casting numbers. going to look at a short block tomorrow and whant to make sure im geting the right short block. it needs to be a alh!

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
:eek:The ALH in all its glory:

Another view of the coveted ALH:

Another view:

Another view:

Another view:

And another view:

The engine in the photos has 129k miles on it.

My 2000 Jetta TDI has 284k miles and no engine issues.....other than ....hmmmmm, scratching my head!:D

The wife said, don't bring that thing to bed...or I'm moving out!:eek:
Come on Andy it is easy to clean an engine when it is our of the car. Lets see it in 20000 miles of hard running.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Ah, Birdman, that engine is now on display in my '84 Vanagon ............ probably a little cleaner and sharper too with the visible mods! 200k miles no!

But, my '00 Jetta TDI engine, with 321k miles on it is almost that clean ........ My son drives it now!

Contrary to popular advice, I pressure wash my "engines" a couple times per year!:D

john weeda

TDI
Driving a 2004 ford ranger 4x4 tdi alh
Is your ALH still out and on the bench? could you get me the block numbers of it? I want to make sure im buying the right short block today...the guy has got a short block on his garage floor that im looking to buy today and i just want to make sure it is an ALH

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
There is a big differance between an engine and a motor.
This is an engine...

This is a motor:

You reallty wouldn't want a "motor" in your A-4.
The engine cover wouldn't fit right.
mo·tor

/ˈmōtər/
Noun
A machine, esp. one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device...

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
John,

Look on the block, to the right of where the oil filter housing bolts on. On the top edge of the "web" that the starter bolts into will be the engine's serial number. It should start with "ALH".

-Rich

Bugsy57

TDI
Jetta
2003 2005 2006

Need some help hear please, I'm looking to buy a jetta TDI for a computer car. I have found 3 jettas a 2003, 2005, and a 2006. The 2003 is the cheaper priced car, but has some small things wrong with it but nothing bad.the 2005 is about 2000.00 dollar more but alot cleaner car. The 2006 is nice but don't have the option the other ones have on it. All three have about the same miles 147,000 to 152,000. And the price is close on all of them, my question which car would be the best buy for a 4500k to 6000k dollar car. I'm not sure on the Manitance on any of them so the timing belt kit will be the first thing that is done on the car I buy. Thanks

vwdiesel101

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH 5 SPEED
always felt the ALH is the best engine ever made in its class, every thing from the engineering,cost, power output:displacement, efficiency and longevity are unparalleled to any other 4 cylinder motor, the cummins inline 6 12v and international 7.3l are the only engines that compare to it in all of the aspects above.

vwdiesel101

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH 5 SPEED
Need some help hear please, I'm looking to buy a jetta TDI for a computer car. I have found 3 jettas a 2003, 2005, and a 2006. The 2003 is the cheaper priced car, but has some small things wrong with it but nothing bad.the 2005 is about 2000.00 dollar more but alot cleaner car. The 2006 is nice but don't have the option the other ones have on it. All three have about the same miles 147,000 to 152,000. And the price is close on all of them, my question which car would be the best buy for a 4500k to 6000k dollar car. I'm not sure on the Manitance on any of them so the timing belt kit will be the first thing that is done on the car I buy. Thanks
i highly recommend you read about the 2005-2006 tdi, theyre is a reason vw didnt make a 2007 tdi! they are garbage, the alh (2003) may not look as good but is 10x the car any bew will ever be

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
i highly recommend you read about the 2005-2006 tdi, theyre is a reason vw didnt make a 2007 tdi! they are garbage, the alh (2003) may not look as good but is 10x the car any bew will ever be
The reason there are no 2007 TDI is emissions. While trucks had common-rail diesels for MY 2007, VW waited until 2009 for unknown reasons.

vwdiesel101

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH 5 SPEED
The reason there are no 2007 TDI is emissions. While trucks had common-rail diesels for MY 2007, VW waited until 2009 for unknown reasons.
i have never heard one person say that, the 2006 tdi was a failure and that is why they ended it and went back to the drawing board and came back in 2009.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
i have never heard one person say that, the 2006 tdi was a failure and that is why they ended it and went back to the drawing board and came back in 2009.
You've never heard the truth then. 2006 TDIs could not meet the new MY 2007 emissions. Wonder why medium-duty and HD trucks went from VE to CR for MY 2007 and added DPFs? Then in 2009, VW comes out with a CR TDI with DPF to meet emissions.

The 2006 TDI was far from a failure.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Such a cute little turbo on these things. No wonder it spools like a jumbo jet!

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I'm with Bob on this one. Not only is it the consensus, it is a fact. I like PDs. I like VEs. I like CRs. I just like the ALH the best. Call me old (but not too old) fashioned

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
You're not limited to these three Jettas -- there are a lot more of them out there.

Also, just as there is a seasonal pattern to diesel fuel prices, there is a seasonal pattern to used TDI prices: higher in the spring and summer, lower in the fall and winter. So the next couple months will be the best time of the year to shop for a used TDI.

I have been looking for another Golf for the last several months, but not seriously because prices have been too high. Recently I've seen the prices for used Golf TDIs, 2002 and 2003 models, drop from incredibly high levels. I saw some on Craigslist for $8000+, and one with the unreliable 01M automatic transmission for $10,995! I don't know if any of these sold for those prices. But a Ford dealer in Janesville WI had a very sweet low-mileage 2003 Golf TDI for $8000 about six weeks ago, and doesn't have it anymore.

Regardless, back to the topic: try to find the best car you can find in the year and model you want, preferably one from a private owner with complete service records. Avoid used car dealers who get their inventory from auctions. Pay an expert $100 or even more to give your chosen car a thorough inspection -- it could save you several thousand dollars. And don't be in a hurry to buy; this is the season for buyers to be patient, to wait for sellers to tire of waiting.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
PDs aren't bad engines, but they do have weaker turbos and cams, and require more emissions maintenance than the earlier cars. EGR valves and throttle body regulating flaps are pretty common failure items. Those aside, they work pretty well. Sootman bought my '06 from me in '08, has 185K on it, it makes 180/300, and he regularly sees 48+ MPG. Not bad for a car that's bigger and heavier than an ALH.

I'm fond of ALHs too, my wagon is still my favorite TDI. But they're getting old. If something happened to IBW I'm not sure I'd look for another ALH because of their age. But then again, I did buy a B4 this year so you never know.

And ALHs will get you tank mileage like this:

mrbrefast

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4V, the MFALCON - SOLD
I very much appreciate this link, it is fascinating (as it likely operates much the same as my current 1Z in my 96 Passat B4V).

I found this ALH thread... because I am leaning towards eventually using one of these as a swap into a Toyota Land Cruiser 100 for 1) offroad camping and 2) winter daily driver + snowplow for personal use.

Any thoughts on that intention?

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
I very much appreciate this link, it is fascinating (as it likely operates much the same as my current 1Z in my 96 Passat B4V).

I found this ALH thread... because I am leaning towards eventually using one of these as a swap into a Toyota Land Cruiser 100 for 1) offroad camping and 2) winter daily driver + snowplow for personal use.

Any thoughts on that intention?
Check the TDI Conversions subforum and you will see what folks have done with various engines. G60ING has a thread that indexes a lot of the conversion threads, good read for starters.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=142679

Ive never read of a crank breaking on these boards. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it seems super unlikely.
I know this is an old thread and really late response but "it happens" (my son had this car for a few years):

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=174552

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Probably nothing. It's a three letter designation that VW has assigned to North American TDIs of that era. It probably has more to do with the ECU and software than the engine itself. Early ALHs in Europe were AFNs. And the '02s were ASVs. Software was different, harware was nearly the same, except for emissions hardware. All '02 1.9L TDIs in NA were ALHs.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
It's like 3 character trans codes used on the TDIs. Just a code for a particular purpose and often similar to others like it with minor differences.

wjfyfe

Veteran Member
Our 2001 ALH Jetta is sneaking up on 400,000 miles and starting to nickle and dime us. In a sentence what endears us to our Jetta is that it makes upwards to 60 MPG and has the oomph to tow our 1000 pound camp trailer up them hills and still do 35 MPG without major issues. What we have heard about "newer" versions of the TDI has not been overly encouraging. We test drove yesterday a diesel Chevy Cruze with an automatic transmission and were not impressed, (the dealers around here tell us that they cannot get the manual transmission?) Presently we are just going to keep feeding our lil ol ALH Jetta because there is absolutely nothing out there reliably comparable to replace it with.

Bill

Black00Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black 5spd
I am currently at 290k with occasional nickel and dime issues (waiting on 2 heater hose connectors because of coolant leak for cost of $18). Have been driving the Jetta since 2002 (purchased with 22k) and have averaged 45 mpg over the last 140k (per Feully). I am not a commuter but use the Jetta for road trips mainly. Of the 270k I have put on, I have never been stranded on the road (knock on wood!). I see many owners way above my mileage (so I am not worried about longevity) but also think of the future of what I will do if my Jetta gives up the ghost.

Agree with wjwywe that I would rather maintain my current Jetta than move on to something new. Just my .02 on my Jetta! And now I am putting on a new set of tires after the coolant leak is fixed.

Motor on!