Lets talk about the ALH motor

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I'll stick with my AHU, v-belt driven water pump and wastegated turbo (no vanes to jam)

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Yeah, the ALH is not a trouble free end all motor like some people think.

I honestly think its a toss up between all the TDI engines made. All have their strengths/weaknesses in different areas.

Berniem

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW-Jetta-My son 03ALH
The ALH seems to be a pretty efficient engine. From what I've seen they get some of the best fuel mileage/gallon. ALH has been better than my BEW.

Last edited:

fnj2

Veteran Member
$what do you mean by 'short block'? is that different than the stock motor i have in my '03?
A "short block" is a generic term for an engine without cylinder head. It may include some or all of: the crankshaft, main bearings, pistons, and connecting rods, but may not.

A "long block" is a short block with a cylinder head attached, including camshaft and valves, and including the items mentioned above (normally).

Accessories (starter, alternator, fuel delivery system, power steering pump, air conditioning compressor, manifolds, oil pan, etc) are up in the air with either variation. They may or may not be there.

They are pretty vague terms. It is always necessary to obtain a very specific list of what is included in any given case.

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
I love my ALH. I has limitations though. Weaker rods and less cooling capacity piston wise than the newer motors. Limitations as far as timing advance as well...and it's only and 8 valver.

Federal Mogul makes oversize ALH pistons under the Goetze brand.

A VW reman short block is a feekin deal. Oil filter assy. & pan mounted; filled with break in oil. New pistons/rings/bearings...crankshaft & rods in spec. I bought one for my latest new to me car and I couldn't be happier. They even sticker what HG to use!

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
AndyBees- thanks for the GREAT pics. They provide reference for lots of things.
celry- thanks for the link to ALH variants and background.

What I was going to offer (before others pointed it out so concretely) is that- in addition to the many ALH engines used in vehicle production, I had read that this engine was also used in industrial (generators etc.) and marine applications. So there's lots of justification to keep parts availability (even bean counters will support if the market exists...). As a (remotely) related point of reference- I have an 82 Audi Coupe with the 2.2L inline 5. I continue to be amazed at the availability of internal parts and accessories for that engine, for which the timeline is about a decade older than the ALH. (I know 82 to 99 is more than a decade, but I think the I-5 was in production for several years beyond 82).

I agree the ALH is "one of those" great designs that just generally works well. I wish it had roller lifters and maybe even pushrod valve setup with gear driven cam (it only revs to 4500!) and water pump driven from the accessory drive belt. Armchair quarterback...

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
ALH aircraft conversion

Here's a recent article about a gent who did his own aircraft engine conversion using what appears to be an ALH engine and installed it into an Experimental category kitplane. I know that Mercedes engines are/were used as the basis for certified aircraft engines in the Diamond DA42, but this is the first time I've seen a VW TDI used. Pretty heavy lump of iron to hang out on the front of an airplane.....

Chris

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Corsair, thanks for the comment on the photos. It is my intent to take a new batch of photos of the engine before it is installed in the Vanagon, just for reference.

I suppose that I'm a little biased, but the ALH incorporates about all of the good from the past with a 'ell of lot modernization.

Considering that it's Turbo charged, there's not that much of a need for 4 valves per cylinder. Sure, in a Natually Aspirated engine (gas or diesel), two exhaust and two intake valves per cylinder improves breathing big time. However, most designs use another cam (hence DOHC) to operate the additional valves.....just more moving parts, in my opinion!

A good thing about the WP being propelled by the TB is that if the Serpentine belt goes kaput, you can keep driving for a considerable distance.........been there and done that!

UsArmyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta (rip)
im no engineer, but how hard would it be to convert the valve train to a roller set up? i have never had the valve cover off before, but it seems to me, after months and months of surffing this site, this is a bunch of "if they dont make it, ill make it" kind of people. im shure a team of us could get together and make it work.

i love my car, and its the least powerful car i have ever owned. yea im a big dreamer, and have plans for this thing that would beat th U.S deficet in price, but its so much fun to drive, it seems any thing you do would make it that much more fun.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Hi, Andy
I didn't mean to give impression that I wanted 4 valves / cyl, sorry if it read that way. I agree that's a whole lot more moving parts to wear (and statistically, fail). I respect the opinions of others and enjoy reading this forum.

Personally, given that the ALH is an interference engine, I don't think it was a good idea to put the WP in the valvetrain drive path. That makes the engine susceptible to catastrophic mechanical failure due to a seized water pump. I acknowledge your POV, that with the ALH as-is, a broken serpentine belt leaves the water pump functional. I choose to assign the valvetrain drive a sort of "sacred" status- only things I want in that path are the crank, cam and IP.

I still feel the ALH is a great unit, and the platforms it was used in are overall very good. I only own 1 ALH at the moment, but wouldn't rule out the possibility of picking up another used one in the future.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Corsair, I think I was relating to someone else's comment about the 4 valves per cylinder.

My wife says that I'm obsessed with that engine........swears if I bring it to bed she's moving out...........LOL

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Corsair, I think I was relating to someone else's comment about the 4 valves per cylinder.

My wife says that I'm obsessed with that engine........swears if I bring it to bed she's moving out...........LOL
__. Nice engine, Andy. And it sure is a good running one (besides giving a *lot* of 60+ MPG tanks).

chrisbeeching

TDI
Sharan 1.9
It's interesting how different people's experiences vary so much. We have a Sharan, here in the UK, with the ALH engine. It has been run overall very gently, with predominantly longer journeys and holiday trips abroad to eastern Europe, southern France, and also as a workhorse for the daughters when they need their stuff taking to their university digs (some 350 miles away) six times a year!
Originally dealer serviced (for the first 100k miles), it has been meticulously maintained by me ever since. Having carried out the same regimen with the other vehicles in the 'family fleet' (W124 230TE Merc with 485kmiles, another one, now nearly run in with 180k miles, and my son's Corsa with 120k on the clock) no major failures, and a clean 'no advisories' MOT pass EVERY time, it was with some concern that we viewed the Sharan's engine cutting out on a gentle 35mph descent a couple of miles from home. Turning the engine on the starter produced a heavy knock/thump once each revolution, so we recovered the vehicle to home. Initial investigation revealed a worn crankshaft belt pulley locating flat - so this was duly replaced with a genuine VW one, and the timing belt renewed as a matter of course. Another attempt at a restart, and still the same 'thump'. Next step, having comfirmed again that all marks were in alignment, was to take the sump off. Maybe a broken big end bolt?
No.
In fact, a broken crankshaft.
The bearing journal for number 2 big end had come away from the counterbalance flange between it and the next (no 3) main bearing.
State of the bearings? Mirror smooth, not scored, and very nice general even wear.
Can't believe that with such considerate use an engine like this should exhibit this kind of failure. Has seriously dented my faith in the ALH and VW Tdi's in general. Any opinions out there?
Utterly disappointed (not to mention the sharp intake of breath over the cost of a replacement crank),

Chris

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The ALH also benefits from relatively generous emissions regulations in the US when it was built. Once you get past the intake clogging issue caused by our diesel fuel at the time it doesn't have a lot of emissions equipment related problems, which are starting to give PD owners fits.

The ALH is kind of the OM617 of the VW world. Not the most powerful, not the most refined, not the most efficient, but a great balance of power, economy, and durability. I also think folks here (me included) like them because they're much more diesel-like than the newer engines. My common rail is a wonderful engine and I love the car, but when I get back into IBW I often think, "now that's a diesel."

runonbeer, I tried to order a short block from my dealer recently and was told there were none in the US. If I wanted one I'd have to place an order and gamble on whether or not VW would fill it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
ALH's have thrown rods and are posted here, they aren't bullet proof.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
ALH's have thrown rods and are posted here, they aren't bullet proof.
Very few and far between. Caused by lack of maintenance (low oil or runaway) or extreme mods on the stock hardware.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Broken Crankshaft

Ive never read of a crank breaking on these boards. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it seems super unlikely.

Me neither!

However, many years ago, the crankshaft broke in a 1200cc VW Air-cool engine that I had "beefed-up." I was running about 85 mph at the when the incident took place. Oddly, the spot it broke allowed the engine to continue running~! I did know something was wrong but kept driving for another 24 miles ......... got off the Interstate and it began to knock and the oil light was flickering!

I've seen the VW 1.5 and 1.6 engines spin rod bearings but never a thrown rod. They were all "low" on oil which was owner induced!;)

john weeda

TDI
Driving a 2004 ford ranger 4x4 tdi alh
Ahl

What years were the TDI engines AHL's in the jetta? I have here said that 1999 to 2003 are AHL's. what was the 1997 and 1998s tdi engines in jettas something diferant? I have a 1995 ford ranger with a VW 1.9 TD and would like to do a 2004 ranger 4x4 with a TDI. They say that the AHL is the best for this and would be easy to chang from 90 hp to 130 hp. So I'm looking to get a TDI AHL and am looking for a complet car and not sure which years to look for please help. Thank you. John

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Lets talk about the ALH motor
There is a big differance between an engine and a motor.
This is an engine...

This is a motor:

You reallty wouldn't want a "motor" in your A-4.
The engine cover wouldn't fit right.

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
VE TDI's

What years were the TDI engines AHL's in the jetta? I have here said that 1999 to 2003 are AHL's. what was the 1997 and 1998s tdi engines in jettas something diferant? I have a 1995 ford ranger with a VW 1.9 TD and would like to do a 2004 ranger 4x4 with a TDI. They say that the AHL is the best for this and would be easy to chang from 90 hp to 130 hp. So I'm looking to get a TDI AHL and am looking for a complet car and not sure which years to look for please help. Thank you. John
The A-4 platform from 1999.5 thru 2003 (Jetta, Jetta Wgn & Golf) had the ALH engine.
The NB 1998 had the ALH up untill 2003.

The A-3 platform 1999 and older had the AHU / 1Z engine

The differance between the A-3 and the A-4 TDI engines:
The turbo on the A-3 has an actual waste gate
The oil pump and the vacumm pump are both driven by an intermeadate shaft which the ALH does not have.

If you looking for an ALH doner you can source a NB from 1998 which I think you could find pretty cheap.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Motor or Engine

In reference to Post #54. (cannot help myself.....:D)

How come we put "motor" oil in our engines?

Motor Trend Magazine?

Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

.......the list goes on and on!

Ambiguity of information, in words, pictures, or other media, is the ability to express more than one interpretation.

Yep, back in high school days, I do remember my shop teacher making the distinction between a "motor" and an "engine." .......still scratching my head over that!

Sort of like in the military, this is your weapon and this is your gun .....it's for fun (drill sergant holding his crotch......LOL:D).

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
In reference to Post #54. (cannot help myself.....:D)

How come we put "motor" oil in our engines?

Motor Trend Magazine?

Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

.......the list goes on and on!

Ambiguity of information, in words, pictures, or other media, is the ability to express more than one interpretation.

Yep, back in high school days, I do remember my shop teacher making the distinction between a "motor" and an "engine." .......still scratching my head over that!

Sort of like in the military, this is your weapon and this is your gun .....it's for fun (drill sergant holding his crotch......LOL:D).
Difference between a motor and an engine:

Just for clarification:
A motor is converting electric energy into mechanical energy. An engine is converting chemical energy into mechanical energy.

Even hybreds make the distinction..thay have both motor and an engine.

The "Best" motor oil for the money!
http://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
But I'm a motorhead!! I like motorcycles, motorboats, work on motorvessels and drive a motorcar!!! No electric motors except starters, fans, wipers etc. Silly semantics...

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
But I'm a motorhead!! I like motorcycles, motorboats, work on motorvessels and drive a motorcar!!! No electric motors except starters, fans, wipers etc. Silly semantics...

But look at the well rounded education you are getting by reading this useless information :eek: