TDIFest 2009 coming to Washington, DC

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Interesting about the Bug Out. It might be interesting to take a trip to Old Dominion on Sunday. They have drag racing and an autocross of sorts on the track. :cool:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
And a tow rope when the veggie car dies.....ha! ha! JK.

copatdir6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Awesome! Only a 6hr drive again for me next summer...I hope I can make it 2 years in a row.

WPB TDI FRED

TDI
03 JETTA - Stick
I'm very disappointed about how this site (or a few individuals only concerned with advancing their own agendas) has decided to address legitimate issues of safety, previously raised by this poster, involving the area chosen for the so-called "TDIFEST".

Nonetheless, other posters have already confirmed, and have corroborated the concerns already expressed, about the area's safety, and that only reaffirms the legitimacy of my previously deleted posts.

Shame on those who try to cover up, with a wide brush, those facts surrounding the area concerning safety, and chosen for the so-called "TDIFEST".

Just consider the recent news report below, of a postal worker being stabbed while delivering mail in DC, and only barely 20 miles from the selected site for the "TDIFEST". The attack occuring just several days ago.

There is no doubt a crime wave permiates the area.

I suppose that the conscience of a few, here, allows it to permit others to place themselves, includng children, in an unsuspecting and unnecessary peril, when life or death may just be a long knive away, or from a sniper hiding in some trunk of a car, or on top of some cherry tree.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1543314

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
WPB TDI FRED said:
I'm very disappointed about how this site (or a few individuals only concerned with advancing their own agendas) has decided to address legitimate issues of safety, previously raised by this poster, involving the area chosen for the so-called "TDIFEST".

Nonetheless, other posters have already confirmed, and have corroborated the concerns already expressed, about the area's safety, and that only reaffirms the legitimacy of my previously deleted posts.

Shame on those who try to cover up, with a wide brush, those facts surrounding the area concerning safety, and chosen for the so-called "TDIFEST".

Just consider the recent news report below, of a postal worker being stabbed while delivering mail in DC, and only barely 20 miles from the selected site for the "TDIFEST". The attack occuring just several days ago.

I suppose that the conscience of a few, here, allows it to permit others to place themselves, includng children, in an unsuspecting and unnecessary peril, when life or death may just be a long knive away, or from a sniper hiding in some trunk of a car, or on top of some cherry tree.

You are joking, right? I'm assuming that you really do live in South Florida as you say? The TDI Fest will be held 25 miles outside the District of Columbia [or so I am told] which in itself [D C] is arguably somewhat safer that your stomping grounds. The area around Dulls Flying Field in the rolling hills of Virginia's Fairfax County, though the traffic is normally heavy, is a relatively safe area.

mdfirefighter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
WPB TDI FRED said:

You are so right, we should immediately stop all plans for this event untill there is no more crime in any of the possible locations for atleast.... 6 months. We can't be too careful afterall, snipers could be anywhere. We should talk to the ATF, FBI, CIA, and FAA about getting a no-fly zone over an possible location and keep it a secret untill 6 hours before the day it starts. Then and only then should be use a phone tree to contact people that want to go.

sudseh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 4door
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

that is all.

WPB TDI FRED said:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
To whoever's moderating this thread: Please leave this post up, then maybe the asshats will read it, and hopefully not post. ;)

If you don't come to TDIFest because you're afraid of snipers, the terrorists have won.

That is all.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
bhtooefr said:
To whoever's moderating this thread: Please leave this post up, then maybe the asshats will read it, and hopefully not post. ;)

If you don't come to TDIFest because you're afraid of snipers, the terrorists have won.

That is all.
Gotta tell y'all. After reading the post from the person in South FL, I may break my vow to never return to the Washington, D C metropolitan area for the TDI fest. I spent 28+ years in the area, don't miss the place at all for reasons that have nothing to do with crime except for the high crimes committed by our elected employees on Capitol Hill. I just don't relish spending time around the ruling class.

Most of the D C area is really quite nice if you can stomach the traffic and the prices. There are [or at least were] some fine restaurants [mostly] in suburban Virginia and Summit Point race course is [or at least was] a wonderful technical track. In addition, Virginia is a beautiful state [oops Commonwealth] with beautiful and varied terrain and about as much U S history as can be crammed into a land area it's size. Maryland is no slouch as a place to visit either!

Don't pay any attention to the old grouch in FL. :):D;)

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT

Seems the only terrorism going on here is from the guy from South Florida who is using FUD tactics to derail the TDI fest. The irony here is that the only person he is terrorizing is himself.

I suggest he seek counseling for his irrational phobias instead of feeding his anxieties. It seems use of this forum will only cause him to discredit himself. I hate to see people needlessly destroy their credibility and integrity.

Phobias:

Definition; A phobia is an intense, unrealistic fear, which can interfere with the ability to socialize, work, or go about everyday life, that is brought on by an object, event or situation.

Description; Just about everyone is afraid of something—an upcoming job interview or being alone outside after dark. But about 18% of all Americans are tormented by irrational fears that interfere with their daily lives. They aren’t "crazy"—they know full well their fears are unreasonable—but they can not control the fear. These people have phobias.

Phobias belong to a large group of mental problems known as "anxiety disorders" that include obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), panic disorder, and posttraumatic stress disorder. Phobias themselves can be divided into three specific types;

Specific Phobias (formerly called "simple phobias")

Social Phobia

Agoraphobia

Specific phobias
As its name suggests, a specific phobia is the fear of a particular situation or object, including anything from airplane travel to dentists. Found in one out of every 10 Americans, specific phobias seem to run in families and are roughly twice as likely to appear in women. If the person rarely encounters the feared object, the phobia does not cause much harm. However, if the feared object or situation is common, it can seriously disrupt everyday life. Common examples of specific phobias, which can begin at any age, include fear of snakes, flying, dogs, escalators, elevators, high places, or open spaces.

Social phobia
People with social phobia have deep fears of being watched or judged by others and being embarrassed in public. This may extend to a general fear of social situations—or be more specific or "circumscribed," such as a fear of giving speeches or of performing (stage fright). More rarely, people with social phobia may have trouble using a public restroom, eating in a restaurant, or signing their name in front of others.
Social phobia is not the same as shyness. Shy people may feel uncomfortable with others, but they don't experience severe anxiety, they don't worry excessively about social situations beforehand, and they don't avoid events that make them feel self-conscious. On the other hand, people with social phobia may not be shy—they may feel perfectly comfortable with people except in specific situations. Social phobias may be only mildly irritating, or they may significantly interfere with daily life. It is not unusual for people with social phobia to turn down job offers or avoid relationships because of their fears.

Agoraphobia
Agoraphobia is the intense fear of feeling trapped and having a panic attack in a public place. It usually begins between ages 15 and 35, and affects three times as many women as men—about 3% of the population.
An episode of spontaneous panic is usually the initial trigger for the development of agoraphobia. After an initial panic attack, the person becomes afraid of experiencing a second one. Patients literally "fear the fear," and worry incessantly about when and where the next attack may occur. As they begin to avoid the places or situations in which the panic attack occurred, their fear generalizes. Eventually the person completely avoids public places. In severe cases, people with agoraphobia can no longer leave their homes for fear of experiencing a panic attack.

The bottom line here is that the individual is responsible for their well being. One either accepts life with all its inherent limitations and risks, or withdraws. All those who are suffering from phobias from using TDIClub, I am willing to help them withdraw to reduce their exposure. They have three options;

I can outright ban them. After they clear their cookies they can only view the website as a guest.

I can disable their accounts. They can log on but cannot post.

I can block them from accessing certain sub-forums, like this one. When they log-on they will not see this sub-forum. It's like it never existed.

If participating on TDIClub is causing one anxiety, then the solution is not to participate on TDIClub. It's a very easy solution that is often used on members who are unaware they need to avoid anxiety. We block people, with and without their permission, from participating on TDIClub all the time for their own good. Separation can be a good thing when needed.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
WPB TDI FRED said:

OK, seriously.. I don't mean to try and speak for others, but I don't live my life in a little bubble. You've got to be kidding if you think you're in instant danger of being shot because you're within 50 miles of a major city.

What's the real motivation for trying to derail the location selection, anyway?

DC's going to rock. can't wait! :D

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Hey, if you get to DC at the right time (2 AM is perfect,) you can commit some low crimes on Capitol Hill, such as urinating on the Senate plaza. :p

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
I want to chime in.

WPB TDI FRED said:

I work as a real estate appraiser in the Wash. Metro area and your reporting of this area as dangerous is way off base. If your "safer" in S. Florida where ever exactly in S.Fl that maybe campaign for the TDIfest for your area for 2010 and we will all be gald to see you there.

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
We need to move off the side tracks here as previousily posted. If safety is an issue to you then I hope you can get by that and join us as there will be on estimates 5 million additional people here next month to see the President elect become President, officials are way ahead of you in protection. We need to move this forum into events and activities to make this the best TDIFEST yet! This way the people attending can get the most out of the event. I want attendees to leave here knowing more about there car or other cars and really leave here wanting to to last longer. I know that the event is many months away but to make this the best event today we need to really start gathering ideas now on what you want and to let those attending to know what is available.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I'll note that I liked the rally that we had at TDIFest 08... maybe something like that?

(And, thanks for bringing the thread back on-topic.)

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
bhtooefr said:
I'll note that I liked the rally that we had at TDIFest 08... maybe something like that?

(And, thanks for bringing the thread back on-topic.)
Maybe one that takes you through Great Falls, down GW parkway along the Potomac stop at Fort Marcy Park, you'll be safe as long as you name is not Vince F., down to DC Back via I66 Or into Gtown/Md back up Canal Rd./ Clara Barton

pkwy and and back. Very scenic

Last edited:

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
Maybe both, you know a run in the morning and a run in the afternoon evening... Rally run done! The weekend is hosting two MAJOR VW events! Our event and we can always crash BUGOUT, there we will be able to do a track course or drag some air cooled. I can almost guarantee that Labor day weekend in the suburbs of DC wil be the biggest VW event on the east coast for the entire year. This should have a better turn out than Waterfest, Dubs on the beach, and H2O! I hope we can all come together to really show that our club can put on the best event. Even if we have to crash and event on the way. We are diesel owners and this makes us the brightest and best of the car owning group of car owners.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I think outdragging some of those aircooleds might be a bit difficult, seeing as they weigh half as much, and are making as much or more power than the TDIs...

But, maybe contacting the organizers of Bugout, and having a rally for both clubs?

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
I am not necessarily suggesting taking on a bug from 1974 with a 1600cc engine but maybe given the chance of pulling a TDI vs a TDI.

tdispeed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Audi S4, 2012 Mazda 2
I bet at least one person gets a ticket on GW parkway... that's a fun road to zoom 100mph down!

Your safety may be threatened... Justler could make an appearance!

The hotel picked out for the event is exceptional... I know because I recommended it! :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
bhtooefr said:
Hey, if you get to DC at the right time (2 AM is perfect,) you can commit some low crimes on Capitol Hill, such as urinating on the Senate plaza. :p
Hey now, I resemble that remark! ;)

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
Which hotel? I missed it.

tdispeed said:
I bet at least one person gets a ticket on GW parkway... that's a fun road to zoom 100mph down!

Your safety may be threatened... Justler could make an appearance!

The hotel picked out for the event is exceptional... I know because I recommended it! :)
I missed the hotel recommendation.

sudseh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 4door
VeeDubTDI said:
Hey now, I resemble that remark! ;)

At least toof didn't say... "Get to Capitol Hill at 2am and be with someone who is pissing, but be the diversion, because all the security is wondering when you will bomb something." :p

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Maybe you should just stay home this year. :rolleyes:

WPB TDI FRED said:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
donDavide said:
Maybe one that takes you through Great Falls, down GW parkway along the Potomac stop at Fort Marcy Park, you'll be safe as long as you name is not Vince F., down to DC Back via I66 Or into Gtown/Md back up Canal Rd./ Clara Barton

pkwy and and back. Very scenic
That's exactly what I was thinking. I love cruising around in Great Falls for no particular reason. :cool: