Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
$2.71 for RUG and $2.89 for diesel at the local Speedway. I'm surprised that the prices are holding fairly steady, considering we had that refinery fire up here.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
$2.859 at Shell here in Baltimore today. $2.659 with my 20¢/gallon grocery store discount...

'lectricjeff

TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5 Speed
3.399 here in Southeastern PA. Prices may go up here due to a local refinery explosion and fire. The refinery is planning to shut down.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
$2.65 for RUG and $2.85 for diesel at the local Speedway.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
$2.68 for RUG and $2.75 for diesel in the local Kwik Trip near Appleton, WI.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Holding steady @ $1.299/L or $4.917/gal in Trail, BC.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Paid $2.62 this morning in lake Wylie, SC. Didn't pay any attention to rug pricing. I did notice yesterday that rug and D2 are about the same in central Wisconsin. A few stations between Madison and Milwaukee had D2 a few cents cheaper.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The September futures for West Texas Intermediate dropped from $58.50/barrel to barely $50.50 from July 31till earlier Wednesday, before bouncing back to $52.30.

During the same period, September ULSD futures fell from $1.97/gallon to $1.75, before bouncing back to $1.78.

I've been fortunate lately to be able to fuel up for $2.70-$2.80 but paid only $2.699 today and that was without any discounts. I hope to pay even less the next time. But there are still plenty of stations charging $2.99 and some are even higher.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Their explanation is that they have to make enough money on what's in the tank to be able to afford to refill with higher cost fuel. So a burp in supply on the other side of the world and the price at the pumps jumps. Just in case...

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Stations jack the price on fuel they already paid a cheaper price for that's in they're tanks. Is that just capitalist economics?
And sometimes a station manager gets stuck with fuel he can't sell except at a huge loss, when prices fall. There are a handful of stations still trying to sell diesel for $3.399 when other stations in the area are $2.65-2.99. In 2008, when diesel dropped from $5/gallon to less than $2/gallon in about six months, many stations and even some chains like Flying J went bankrupt. They lost money on just about every fuel delivery.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Diesel prices have been fairly stable for many months, but the drone attacks on oil facilities in Saudi Arabia have driven up prices for crude oil and products.

Right now the spot-month futures price for ULSD is up about 15 cents/gallon, while WTI crude is up about $5/barrel and Brent crude up about $7/barrel.

The markets are likely to be a bit unsettled for the next several days. The Houthi rebels claim responsibility, but they don't have the technology to build drones, so the responsibility almost certainly lies with Iran. Will this lead to a full-fledged war between Iran, Saudi Arabia, and other GCC allies of Saudi Arabia?

TDI drivers should probably keep their tanks topped up this week.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
short memory truck & suv driver are about get woke up....

I watched diesel & gas this morning go up $0.20-0.40 today while I was filling up my cars......

One place in southwest metro denver the price went up 0.25 from 2.549 to 2.79.9 in the time it took for me to go from the station home & back in my other diesel! there was a station close by that was still 2.559 so I bought a tank plus four 5.5 gal containers....

...If the price goes as far above $3 a gal as I expect I should be able save a few dimes over the next few tanks in my vw diesels....

...I think a lot of "children" that have no memory of how high fuel/gas prices can go in a real would crisis.....children and adults who seem to have lost their memory of how a fill cost @ ~4 or higher a gal who have purchased all of those suv's & pukups over the last few years are about to get a rude awakening....

....short memories seem the rule of the day in those who have completely forgotten how much one of these fuel wasting hogs( suv's & pukups used as as single passenger cars ) actually cost to drive around when the roosters come home to roost at their fuel ups in coming weeks....

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Greedy oil companies! We import very little oil from Saudi Arabia; in fact we produce more oil than they do according to a recent report on NBC News. I know, take it with a grain of salt!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Whether or not we produce oil is irrelevant. The oil market is global, demand and supply in the global markets affect all prices. And oil companies don't set prices, the markets and traders do.

rotarykid, I've repeatedly been amazed at how short Americans' memories when it comes to fuel prices. Ever since the first shortage in the early 70s, as soon as prices and supply returns to "normal," Americans would go back to old habits. And this round (since 2008 or so), has been more extreme than ever, with trucks people don't need dominating the consumer vehicle market. I doubt this event will cause any lasting price increase, so I doubt people will change behavior.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Whether or not we produce oil is irrelevant. The oil market is global, demand and supply in the global markets affect all prices. And oil companies don't set prices, the markets and traders do.
One of our local stations ran on oped piece last night saying that the Saudi situation should have no effect on local gas pricing. I was blown away by how short sited the whole piece was. Especially since I had just driving by a gas station whose prices increased 20 cents yesterday. The same piece was run this morning with a slightly different conclusion.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
One of our local stations ran on oped piece last night saying that the Saudi situation should have no effect on local gas pricing. I was blown away by how short sited the whole piece was. Especially since I had just driving by a gas station whose prices increased 20 cents yesterday. The same piece was run this morning with a slightly different conclusion.
I always liked this quote about local television news stories, "first at six, fixed at 11."

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Many stations raised their prices for diesel by 5 cents/gallon or a bit more; but quite a few haven't made a change.

On the other hand, it was quite common to see gasoline prices rise by 25-30 cents a gallon or even more. One went from $2.359 to $2.699. A couple went to $2.799.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another jump. Diesel is now 30 cents higher than it was Sunday but gas didn't change from the 20 cent bump. Diesel is now around $2.80 in SC. Too bad my truck only has a few gallons left in the tank. That'll run me about $75 to fill.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
West Texas Intermediate jumped to $63 on Monday, now it's barely above $58.

October ULSD futures are now 11 cents/gallon below the Monday close and only about 10 cents/gallon above last Friday's close.

So wherever prices are today is probably the peak, and they should trend lower from here.