Pain in my a**

StilltruckingTDI

TDI
Hey guys, new here! I have an 01 tdi with 450k and change, the body is on its way out so I picked up a donor car, it’s an 03 gasser but I just needed the body panels off of it anyways.
So here’s the issue, I swapped the doors over, everything but the windows work, so I put my meter on it, I’m getting power, I checked all the necessary fuses, all good. I unplugged the window motor and plugged it back in and the driver side window works! Shut the car off, take the key out and the window still works!? Then after a couple min it stopped, at this point I only have the one door on from the donor car, so I decide to put another one on, and now they both aren’t working. I’m going to continue to swap the doors over but maybe one of you guys can help! I should mention the door locks work and the other functions on the door, it’s just the windows! And yes I tested them before and they all worked no problem! Thanks again!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The door lock module is programmed to the car's keys. I don't know if it affects window operation all the time, but you might try and see if your remote works. If not, you could try programming the door lock module to your keys. I can't recall the procedure, but it requires two keys.

If that doesn't work you could swap the door lock module from your old door into the new one.

StilltruckingTDI

TDI
Thanks Indigo, i now have all the doors minus one that was in good shape, same thing, none of the windows work, except the one I didn’t change. So I thought maybe it could be the BcM except they are not the same between my car and the donor.
Does the door lock module control all the doors from that one module on the drivers door? I should mention the door locks work, on all the doors that are from the other car. Also I swapped the key part on the drivers door so I didn’t have to use that key, when I did that I put the key in to see if the windows would work, they all went down except my original door that I left on, BUT NOW THEY WONT GO BACK UP �� so of course it rained last night.. anyways thanks for the advice, I hope I can get this fixed soon

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This is pretty confusing. But I think you need all the door modules sync'd with the key and each other. I think you're having trouble because you've swapped some things and not others. I believe the remote and alarm work from the driver's module.

StilltruckingTDI

TDI
Yes I know, I’m sorry, long story short. I swapped my doors from donor car to my TDI. The windows don’t work. I swapped the BCM from donor to my TDI and it worked. So PROBLEM SOLVED. Sorry for the confusion! And thanks again for your help!

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
The window motor acts as logic for the CCM system. It changed somewhere around 02. If you keep the 01 motors you should have been good.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Thankyou. I was not aware that a replacement door lock module had to be programmed to the keys. Is this correct? I replaced my driver's door module last Summer, but I am still having problems; such as the door will not unlock with the fob unless I hit the handle with my fist, and the door ajar light is consistently on. VCDS points to this driver door module.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Thankyou. I was not aware that a replacement door lock module had to be programmed to the keys. Is this correct? I replaced my driver's door module last Summer, but I am still having problems; such as the door will not unlock with the fob unless I hit the handle with my fist, and the door ajar light is consistently on. VCDS points to this driver door module.
No.. a door lock module is just circuitry and motors, no (important) logic for the key or ccm. Your door lock module is bad.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
OP fixed it, once the swap was complete, all was well. Seems those bits need to match.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
The door modules don't care what key you have. The entire CCM system doesn't care about the key aside from remote programming.

Mid way through 2002, VW made a change to the central convenience system wiring and modules. The data bus was a higher speed and carries more messages on it and also wires to the radio, which it didn't do before. Where previously, the radio and door modules were getting dimmer signal and 86S ignition signal on individual wires, they're all carried on the data bus as digital info in the mid 2002 and up cars.

The early 2002 and previous cars have central convenience modules and door modules that start with part numbers 1J0 and 1J1. The Mid 2002 and later cars have 1C0 and 1C1 numbers. They do not mix. Attempting to mix them can bring down communications on the entire convenience data bus.

Now, backing up a bit, I mention the backlighting in particular because usually the post 2002 cars no longer have the backlight wire on the door harness side. Interestingly, the body side usually still has the backlight wire to the connector station for the door, there's just nothing on the door side to actually connect to it and do anything with it. That info is digitized and carried via data bus.

So, if you still have the 2003 car's door wiring and have switched the modules back to the original 2001's and are wondering why the backlighting isn't working, that would be why... you'll want to get the entire door harnesses from the 2001 as well.