Disable Alarm With VCDS?

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
Possible to Disable Alarm With VCDS?

I did a search, and I didn't find any useful information.

I have had A LOT of problems with my alarm going off intermittently on my 1999.5 Golf. It is quite embarrassing to have your alarm go off in the middle of a parking lot full of people giving you dirty looks with no way to shut it off other than waiting for it to end (which feels like forever) or by disconnecting the battery and I would just like to end it forever. Sometimes if goes off if I open the door too soon after unlocking the car, sometimes it goes off if I try to start the car with the valet key, sometimes it goes off if I open the doors from the inside (even after unlocking them), sometimes it goes off if I try to unlock my doors by sticking the key in the lock and turning, and other times it will go off if I leave the drivers door open for more than 30-60 seconds (which doesn't seem too odd, but is still annoying). Other threads have recommended unplugging the switch that tells it that the hood is open so the alarm never arms itself, but others have said that's a bad idea. I don't know who to believe. Is there a way I can disable it with VCDS and not have to unplug/modify anything? If I can disable the alarm, will I still be able to lock my car? I don't live in a high crime area (the population is like 95% old people), so it is unlikely for my car to be stolen. I'm not saying it still couldn't happen, but it's somewhat unlikely. I assume my door switch is not the issue because my interior lights and the light on the door don't stay on when the door is closed.

Thanks,
Jeff

P.S. Speaking of lights saying on, my glove box light won't go out (yes, the door is closed all of the way). It hasn't burnt out yet, but replacing it when it does burn out doesn't seem fun. I can't find any type of switch that the door is supposed to push on to turn it off.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I wished I could just find the horn that goes off when the alarm goes off, did you know it actually separate from the regular horn? I know this because one day my key fob stopped working and my door lock was not working either so I could unlock the door, get in and start the car but the alarm was going off so I disconnected both the high and low horns located just in front of the left front tire but it just kept on beeping!! CRAZY! So I just drove with the alarm going for a few minutes until it turned off by itself.

Since then I have fixed the door switch (both the part the key goes into and the part that lets the car know when the door has been opened) and I the key fob magically fixed itself.

But I would still be interested in finding out where that alarm horn is and how to disable it.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

I have had A LOT of problems with my alarm going off intermittently on my 1999.5 Golf. It is quite embarrassing to have your alarm go off in the middle of a parking lot full of people giving you dirty looks with no way to shut it off other than waiting for it to end (which feels like forever) or by disconnecting the battery and I would just like to end it forever. Sometimes if goes off if I open the door too soon after unlocking the car, sometimes it goes off if I try to start the car with the valet key, sometimes it goes off if I open the doors from the inside (even after unlocking them), sometimes it goes off if I try to unlock my doors by sticking the key in the lock and turning, and other times it will go off if I leave the drivers door open for more than 30-60 seconds (which doesn't seem too odd, but is still annoying). Other threads have recommended unplugging the switch that tells it that the hood is open so the alarm never arms itself, but others have said that's a bad idea. I don't know who to believe. Is there a way I can disable it with VCDS and not have to unplug/modify anything? If I can disable the alarm, will I still be able to lock my car? I don't live in a high crime area (the population is like 95% old people), so it is unlikely for my car to be stolen. I'm not saying it still couldn't happen, but it's somewhat unlikely. I assume my door switch is not the issue because my interior lights and the light on the door don't stay on when the door is closed.

Thanks,
Jeff

P.S. Speaking of lights saying on, my glove box light won't go out (yes, the door is closed all of the way). It hasn't burnt out yet, but replacing it when it does burn out doesn't seem fun. I can't find any type of switch that the door is supposed to push on to turn it off.
The alarm horn is mounted in the rain/wiper cowl area - it's easy to find.
Yep, just unplug the alarm horn (not the regular horns) and your problem is 'fixed'.

It should be possible to use VCDS to find out what is triggering the alarm and fix that instead. (suspects include the wires going to the doors and the lock assemblies in the doors.)

Bill

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
The alarm horn is mounted in the rain/wiper cowl area - it's easy to find.
Does this mean I'd have to remove the wipers and rain tray? That is not fun because I can never get the rain try flush with the windshield :(

Yep, just unplug the alarm horn (not the regular horns) and your problem is 'fixed'.
Would that only "fix" the horn, or kill the alarm syestem entirely? If that only disables the horn and I manage to trigger the alarm again, I'd still be unable to start the car for 30 seconds without the annoying honking, right?

It should be possible to use VCDS to find out what is triggering the alarm and fix that instead. (suspects include the wires going to the doors and the lock assemblies in the doors.)
How would I do that? Is there a "scan" function sort of like the one that scans for codes?

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Would that only "fix" the horn, or kill the alarm syestem entirely? If that only disables the horn and I manage to trigger the alarm again, I'd still be unable to start the car for 30 seconds without the annoying honking, right?
I was able to start my car right away even tho the alarm was going. After 2 minutes or so of driving the alarm shut off.

With the horns disabled it would have been 2 minutes of driving with the flashers on.

I presume this has something to do with the system detecting "illegal entry detected" but then it detects the correct key in the ignition so it says "hey no problem drive away".

Last edited:

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
How were you able to start the car with the alarm going off??? My car does nothing if I insert the key and turn it all the way while the alarm is going off. The lights on the dash don't even come on. When the alarm finishes freaking out I can start it right away with no issues.

I wish the alarm worked more like my dad's truck where I can just start it to stop the alarm :(

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
You're going to have to fix the underlying problem. VCDS can display each switch state in the comfort module's measuring blocks.

You have a bad door, hood, or rear lid switch.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
You can use the scan tool to find out what component set the alarm off in the comfort module. It should show you the last 4 things that set it off.

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
Well I had another alarm issue twice in a row today. I was able to unlock the driver door remotely with they key, but the other doors wouldn't unlock, no matter how many times I pressed the unlock button on the key. I figured that maybe I was having a problem with the key, so I got in, closed the door, and tried to use the unlock button on my door. The only thing that would unlock was the drivers door. The other doors made a faint click like they were trying to unlock with a dead battery. I decided to start the car and see if that would allow me to unlock the doors, but as soon as I stuck in the key the alarm went crazy. I waited for it to end and tried again, but it went off again :mad: The second time it freaked out I was able to unlock the doors, so I went around to see if any of the doors were open. They were all closed nice and tight, but when I opened and closed the trunk it killed the alarm right away. I guess this means the switch on the rear hatch is dead?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions about the glove box light not going off?

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Chunkerz, have you checked the wiring between the hatch and the body of the car? When you open the hatch it there are several wires in the top left corner of the hatch opening between the body of the car and the hatch that get flexed and eventually break.

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
No, I haven't had a chance to look at the hatch yet. So far no more alarms since I started sticking in the key and turning it to the first notch as soon as I open the door, but who knows how much longer I'll be able to get away with that.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi

Thanks,
Jeff

You need to fix the underlying problem. What you are experiencing is typically the effect of water infiltrating one of the switches (ie short). Usually, it is in the trunk area (as the door switches in the mk4 are internal and better protected from water).

Like every other problem, the first question I would look at is how did the problem start (i.e you modified something or installed something and shortly thereafter this started etc)? These things take some patience to run down, but what doesn't?

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle DSG Trans.
I hate the alarm on my Beetle and would love to turn it off/disable it. I think it is ridiculous that this cannot be done or...no one will tell us how to do it. Alarms don't stop crimminals the aggravate owners. LOL

dalchri

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle
In the meantime, do the following...

1. Pop your trunk with the key.
2. Unlock the driver's door.
3. Start the car with the trunk open.
4. Close the trunk.

... assuming your trunk switch is still operable. lol

I don't believe you will ever have the alarm go off with this procedure or get stuck unable to start the car.

Bottom line, if that little LED on the driver's side door is blinking, do not try to start the car or open the door.

I agree, a computer alarm disable function would be reasonable. Unfortunately there is none that I know of. The A3 cars have a way to rewire the car that disables the alarm but the A4 alarm is built directly into the ECU.

Disconnecting the alarm horn is as good as it gets which is what I've done.