IP going out?

DuctTapeFan27

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
A couple of weeks ago I was coming home after work and shifted into the wrong gear causing the engine to rev past 4000 rpm. It started running horribly and smoking like crazy. I got the smoke taken care of with a new injector but now whenever i'm driving and reach 2000 rpm the engine starts missing and is hard to accelerate, if I stay under 2k it's fine. I hooked up VCDS and pulled codes P1248 (Start of Injection Deviation) and P1246 (Needle lift sensor). Checked my injector contribution on group 013, all of the numbers were within the +/- 2 range and compression tested the cylinders which all came back over 400 psi. I already tried a new pressure relief valve in the IP which didn't help and when I bled the fuel lines to the injectors it ran great for a couple minutes and started acting up again. The pump itself is ticking like crazy. Is it time for a new Injection pump or do you guys have any other ideas?

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Can you give a little more info on the car? How many miles, tune etc.?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Certainly sounds like a pump to me.

Which injector did you replace? Have you checked the wiring to the #3 injector?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The needle lift sensor as I sure you know is injector #3, and if it starts to act up it will cause the P1248 error message. I am very familiar with this issue as I have just gone through it recently. If you disconnect the #3 injector, and the trouble goes away, you may have found your problem, or you may have not. If the error changes to B+ error or "possible short", IIRC, with the connector disconnected you won't have the power due to the lack of timing advance, but the engine will still mostly rev "normally."

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
If you disconnect the #3 injector, and the trouble goes away, you may have found your problem, or you may have not. If the error changes to B+ error or "possible short", IIRC, with the connector disconnected you won't have the power due to the lack of timing advance, but the engine will still mostly rev "normally."
Are you saying unplug the sensor or disconnect the injector line?
I'm thinking unplug or have fuel spraying all over.
With it unplugged don't you get a code for it?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I apologize if I was unclear: unplug the connector and see how the engine reacts. After unplugging (as I mentioned above) will change the code it throws. I just went through BOTH a bad pump AND bad wires on the #3 injector itself.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I apologize if I was unclear: unplug the connector and see how the engine reacts. After unplugging (as I mentioned above) will change the code it throws. I just went through BOTH a bad pump AND bad wires on the #3 injector itself.
Ouch, double pain. :eek:
I'm going to try unplugging mine to see how it reacts.