relay location assistance

Richrecovery

TDI
1998 VW Beetle TDI; 2002 Snap Orange; 2012 Beetle Turbo
I am troubleshooting a 00741 code issues and it looks like the pin I am having issue with is connected to the Low Heat Coolant Preheating Relay (M/T) I seem not to be able to locate the information in the book on where this relay is housed or what number it is. Can anyone point me in the correct location

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The code I linked looks more germain. That coolant thing may be erroneous.
The Ross Tech wiki has you covered.

Richrecovery

TDI
Not following you. We've troubleshot everything in the Ross tech wiki. Next is trace following and testing wires. One of the brake switch wires comes from a leg on this relay. To continue troubleshooting, I need to test and rule out this relay. The brake switch has been ruled out as the root cause for the issue being shown.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I don't see a relay for brake switch in the wiring diagram. Goes fuse-switch-lights.

Richrecovery

TDI
At the bottom of this post is the wiring diagram I am working with. Highlighted is the brake switch wire path; which shows it is connected to a leg off a relay I am looking for.
The problem is not the switch, the fuse or the lights. All the brakes are working when the pedal is pressed. We have followed all of Ross-Tech's wiki information and confirmed it is not the switch. The 100% positive way that we confirmed the switch is not the problem is we removed it from the car and took a reading. With the switch removed, we should see Group 6 Bin Bits read 000. We see 010. (The last 0 successfully changes value when the switch is installed and the brakes are pressed.)

This means the computer is seeing an errant signal, not coming from the brake switch.
The next troubleshooting steps is to wire trace and see what can be sending that errant signal. From what I see on the wiring diagram below, since the one of the brakelight switch wires is connected to a leg of the Low Heat Coolant Preheating Relay (M/T), that relay could plausibly be sending the signal. The relay is almost 20 years old. However, I cannot locate where this relay is and searching the forum and Google is not yielding any results.
The next plausible items to check would be the High Heat Coolant Preheating Relay (M/T) as the BLU/YEL wire loops over. The Clutch Vacuum Vent Valve Switch is also connected to the same leg of the Low Heat Coolant Preheating Relay (M/T) and is also about 20 years old along with the PCV Heating Element connected via the sam BLU/YEL wire. At the moment, I choose left to right when troubleshooting items.
If all of those check out, then it is something on the control module or broken wires crossed or shorted. Fingers crossed its one of these. But I won't know until I can find it, pull it and test it.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I think I understand what you are talking about but your pictures are not showing up.
Also, there might be a relay for the automatic trans shifter safety.
You indicated '(M/T)' not auto
There are 2 'COOLANT PREHEATING' relays located at the 'LEFT REAR CORNER OF
ENGINE COMPARTMENT'
In the plenum maybe?
BobnOH?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I sometimes exhibit the attention skills of a kindergartener.
I look at 00741 which says Brake Pedal Monitoring.
I read Low Heat Coolant Preheating, which I assume refers to the coolant glow plug system. I've read these are not monitored by the ECU.
My big question is- What are the symptoms?

Richrecovery

TDI
Fixed photos.

Symptons are the same as a failed brake switch. Flashing glow plug, no cruise. Because the middle bit does not go back to 0, the computer is firing off the implausible signal error; which happens to be the same for the brake switch.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Fixed photos.

Symptons are the same as a failed brake switch. Flashing glow plug, no cruise. Because the middle bit does not go back to 0, the computer is firing off the implausible signal error; which happens to be the same for the brake switch.
Did you check all 3 brake lights are working?
Long shot but when my 2 lights were out I had the blinking GP light.

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
Can you confirm the pin readings?

In your other post, you say you have the following readings:
Here are the voltage reads on the wires with ignition switch turned on. (colors may be off, difficult to see)
Pin 4 Red/Black 0 volts
Pin 3 Yellow/Gray 0 volts
Pin 2 Yellow/Black 1.75 volts
Pin 1 Red/Brown 11.93 volts
Is this the brake light switch?
Is it connected during this test?

Richrecovery

TDI
There are 2 'COOLANT PREHEATING' relays located at the 'LEFT REAR CORNER OF
ENGINE COMPARTMENT'
In the plenum maybe?
Found them. Thanks. I'll pull and test / replace next week.

Last edited:

Richrecovery

TDI
Can you confirm the pin readings?

In your other post, you say you have the following readings:
Here are the voltage reads on the wires with ignition switch turned on. (colors may be off, difficult to see)
Pin 4 Red/Black 0 volts
Pin 3 Yellow/Gray 0 volts
Pin 2 Yellow/Black 1.75 volts
Pin 1 Red/Brown 11.93 volts
Is this the brake light switch?
Is it connected during this test?

This was the brake light switch, disconnected. I pulled the measurements from the connector pin. I'll work on getting new readings with photos after the relay test.