Changing the Tranny Fluids and Fuel Filter

bonnycolton

TDI
2002 New Beetle 1.9 TDI
Can anyone direct me to changing my own Tranny Fluids and where is the fuel filter. My car was running great down the highway and then lost power. It would run fine and then all of a sudden downshift for a while then coast back into highway mode. I have done some research and not sure what to try but wouldn't hurt to change these items first. Any suggestions? Could be a plugged line to the turbo??? Not sure! Have a mechanic I love in Colorado Springs, but want to try a couple of items before trying to drive there.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
Is it downshifting and sticking, or is your turbo acting up and going into limp mode?

Do you have an auto transmission? Auto's have been known to fail quite regularly on your year.

Fuel filter is in the engine compartment (facing from front) on the left side, near the front, canister looking device.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
since you say it would "downshift" on it's own, I'm assuming an automatic. Were you driving along on the highway and then the rpms went up, but speed went down? felt like no power, like the engine was running faster than it should for the speed you were going, almost like driving on ice? If you shut off the engine and restart, does it go away? Does it do this when it is hot, or when you hit the highway after a long stop-an-go city drive? If so, sounds like the same issue I had with a torque convert clutch slipping caused by a worn valve body in the tranny. Definitely worse when hot and fairly intermittent. It could also be "limp-mode" from a variety of reasons, hard to tell from your description. CoolAirVW is the guru on this. He rebuilt my VB 30K ago and no issues since.

To have him rebuild the VB it needs to be shipped to him, so it needs to come out of the tranny. easy access, a little tricky to remove the electronics ribbon cable. A good mechanic should be able to handle this if you aren't mech-inclined. He has a good write-up on his website (search Kansas City TDI). I have no personal experience with any other VB rebuilders or sellers, but the feedback on this forum strongly points to CoolairVW.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
Oh yeah, I think there is a "how-to" in the stickies at the top of this forum that covers changing the ATF fluid and filter. Critical part is getting the level correct in the pan afterwards as there is no dip stick. The rest of the procedure is a piece of cake. Need a VagCom to do it right. Infrared thermometer is the second choice. Third is to carefully measure what comes out and put back the same amount, but that assumes the level is correct to begin with. make sure the car is running when you check the level. that is not clear in the how-to.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Now this morning seems to be running fine?? !!!
This, and from your other post, sounds strongly like the car is going into limp mode (as described in responses to the other post). When in limp mode, shutting the engine off and starting again... re-sets the limp mode. (that is, until the computer detects again what it thinks is nonsensical, then it enters limp mode again). This is not uncommon with these cars, so not a cause for panic. Important thing is to get the car to a guru, for reason mentioned in my other reply. And yes, an engine down on power can bring the associated symptom of unusual trans downshifts, as the trans is doing what it can to provide more performance as it sees a deeply depressed accelerator pedal etc.
=
Not to be a downer, and this is an entirely different topic, but... Although it sounds like the auto trans in your car is operating just fine, the automatic transmissions in this model year is not known for its longevity. (They don't die early, they give average lifespan, but aren't known for going and going and going...) Unfortunately, they ARE known for being unbelievably expensive to replace. (like, north of $4500 for the trans itself). And for reasons I still don't understand, there don't appear to be viable rebuilt units available for cheaper price. So, two points from this: Good to get the engine issue sorted out, so as to eliminate the unusual and frequent downshifts. Secondly, good idea to have normal service done on the trans (by a TDI knowledgeable mech...), so as to get the best possible life out of it. Due to the known cost of those trans, a TDI car with a bad auto trans isn't worth much to sell. But I digress...