Airbag controller questions

ebrobb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI/DSG
O.K. I hope I don't post this twice as my computer just did something weird, I don't think it posted. Anyway, 2000 Jetta GLS, 1.8 turbo gasoline engine, bought it really cheap, carpets had been wet. Everything electric works, car runs great but airbag light is on. Ordered VCDS from Ross-tech, (needed it for the wife's TDI anyhow) hooked up and tried to scan, when I went into the options and did the test thing it kept coming up saying K1:shorted to ground. I could scan the wife's '01 TDI just fine. Yanked the aftermarket radio out-no change. This morning I got irked and pulled the Airbag controller out, then tried to re-scan and it worked. I took the cover off the module and it has definitely been wet, I'm assuming it's toast. Dealer wants $500 for a new one, can't find one at any of the local scrapyards, one guy says he can get me one in from another yard out of state for $75. Then I read on Ross-tech's site about having to recode it or some dang thing and you need the pro version to do it??? has anyone else been through this and can you give me some advice please? New or used? Any tips, tricks or other things I should consider? Thanks

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
To buy used one . you have to be very lucky. The module has to have same pat number Including letters and same index number, and same coding as your old one have.Otherwise it will not work on your car.
Used module will come with coding in side and you won't be able to recode it.

So if you want risk $75 go a head.
VCDS can code new module. I did few of them.

ebrobb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI/DSG
So does anyone know what the price of a new one really is? I thought the parts guy at the dealership was jerking me around when he said $500. I thought I read somewhere on here they were like $200 new, that's not so bad. Sounds like I would be throwing money away on a used one. Also, I read (I think ross-techs site) that the new part has a superceded number and sometimes other sensors and stuff has to be changed to work with the new controller. I'm starting to think it ain't worth it, I could end up with $1000 just trying to make the dang airbag light go out.

ebrobb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI/DSG
When calling junkyards I ran into several that wanted to sell the controll module with airbags as a whole set. Is this because of the coding issue and does it work to replace everything as a set? Or do they just figure if you need the controller the bags are probably blown so you need everything anyway. If so I can buy the whole set used cheaper than just the controller from the dealer. Still needing info, Thanks

dasboikee

TDI
2000 Jetta
does anyone know if the airbag module with the part number 1c0909605A can be used in a 2000 jetta that had a 6q0909605A module?

stevekris

Veteran Member
TDI
beetle 99 silver
you need a module with the same part # exactly. Read on the Ross Tech site about this particular module that you have. Hope this helps. Thanks Steve

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
1C0-909-605-A can be used in place of the original 6Q0-909-605-A if it has the same Index.

Airbag part numbers for most VWs are not complete without the Index. The Index determines the one and only coding which a module will accept.

Unfortunately, it's darn hard to tell what index your old module has if it doesn't talk to a scan tool. The labels on the modules are often wrong.

-Uwe-