Suck

dsmith1279

TDI
None......Yet???
The Wrong Transmission in my car!!! Please help

So I had posted earlier about the DMF going out in my A5 5spd Jetta TDI. I thought I'd get a jump start on my teardown and get it ready for the new flywheel and clutch kit.

As I tear down the engine bay I am struck that there are a few parts missing from the top of the tranny and that there is paint pen writing on the tranny. Lo and behold, I have a junk yard transmission that was manufactured in 2003. The code is on the top pad of the transmission is:
EUH 05113
64 0440

So from the manual I assume this was manufactured in 5th day of Nov 2003. Is this a transmissin from an A4?

Can you all help me out with this. Is this truly compatible with the A5 BRM setup? Any suggestions??

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Best guess, A4 tranny will work in an A5. My concern would be that the replacement came from a gasser and the ratios are wrong for a TDI.

One of our venders could look up your transaxle in EKTA and tell you what it came out of.

I recently worked with Aaron at Bora parts converting my A5 to SMF and he was very helpful. There are some issues with converting an A5 to SMF that we have worked out. The DC stage 1 that is in my car right now is what VW should have put in from the factory.............................

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Sure. The problem with putting a SMF in place of a DMF is that the A5 TDIs never came with a SMF. What that means is that you have to adapt something from a different engine. (VR6,1.8, G60 etc). As it turns out, putting one of the other alternatives in an A5 TDI usually results in the petal disengagement point of the new clutch to be lower than it was with an OEM DMF.

What happened with my install is that the 20 LB flywheel that Aaron provided was not made to spec and was unusable. Needles to say, BoraParts checked theire stock of flywheels and found several of the 20 pounders from one of the suppliers to be out of spec. Aaron has decided that he will not be selling any of the 20 LB flywheels from that supplier to the public.

In the course of all of this we took several measurements, and figured out what is needed to make the DC clutch work in the A5 TDIs. The clutch in my car feels like stock,handles more torque than stock and does not have the DMF death rattle when you take off from a stop.:cool:

Last edited: