Mod Plans for BRM TDI

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some ideas and/or confirmation of my Mod plans. Car is 06 Jetta BRM 5spd with 18,xxx miles. Just paid it off and am now saving all extra $ for power Mods.

Set up #1:

Current Mods: RC1+, Mufflerctomy & resnatorectomy ;-), boost gauge, CCV vent/bypass, other cosmetic stuff. lol so realy just the RC1+ chip... (which is great)

Planned Mods:
VNT17/22 -From TDIparts or a S/t VNT20 ST2 or ST3 - from KermaTDI
RC4
PD150 injectors
3" DP and full exhaugst with high flow cat only
DD clutch kit - from BB
PD150 Intake
3 Bar MAP
Peloquin LSD
EGT gauge

Questions:
At what hp or rather Tq are we talking needing internal(h-beam rods, head gasket, ARP bolts) mods? I should be fine lower than x, correct?

Will I still need better drive shafts if I get the LSD?

What am i missing?

Any better ideas? (well other than starting with something faster or a bike;))
I really would like to shoot for 230 Hp as the target or more. Yea I want a real 3 red letter TDI. Thoughts?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT 07/08: Ok so the original plan has been kind of updated/changed

Set up #2:

S/t BRM 1956 SV turbo + new Kerma/aligator tune
DD clutch kit - from Bleached Bora
3 Bar MAP
PD130 Oil cooler
New boost/EGT combo gauge from McNally http://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/

Ordered but not installed yet:

Boostlogic 3" DP and full exhaust

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: 9/1/2008 - 9/21/2008

No longer running S/T 1956 SV (blew 9/1/08)... now running S/t 1952 (installed 9/21/08), and getting ready to replace it w/ GT2256v or other similar GT turbo

EDIT: 11/21/2008

Set up #3:

S/t BRM 1952 turbo + Aligator tune from Diesel Inside
Dual Diaphragm clutch kit
3 Bar MAP
PD130 Oil cooler
EGT/boost combo gauge from McNally
Boostlogic 3" DP and full exhaust, with Magnaflow 3" HF cat only

EDIT: 5/7/2009

Setup #4 now:

PD150 injectors
GT2556v turbo
Custom exhaust manifold
Custom 3" down pipe, rear 3" Boostlogic exhaust
Peloquin LSD
Dual Diaphragm clutch kit
3 Bar MAP
PD130 Oil cooler
EGT/boost, EMP/Water temp, Oil psi/temp combo gauges from McNally

Maybe next (likely):

Brake upgrade (R32 or 4motion Passat)

This is now just kind of for me to keep track of my stuff (parts upgrades/ corresponding dynos, etc) lol...

I never did a base line stock run of my own stock BRM so I'm stealing two stock BRM dynos from some other members...:eek: lol Anyway just so we know a base (avg), for the stock BRM PD at the Wheels it is about 99 Whp and 194 WTq, this is an average from the two below dynos.

Stock BRM #1 DSG - Kenrunner's stock run 2nd run 97hp/196tq (the Red line)... mid day hot in Austin, TX, I dynoed on this same dyno the same day with my RC1+ only

Stock BRM #2 5spd - Jetta girl's stock 101hp/193tq:

My 1st Dyno: RC1+ BRM 5spd - 137hp/244tq:

Mine, RC1+, no resonator or muffler on stock exhaust, CCV vented

My 2nd Dyno session on the same dyno 3 months later. - 177hp/328tq:

Now With: S/T 1956 SV turbo, 3 bar map, new Kerma tune, BB Dual Diaphragm clutch, PD130 oil cooler, stock exhaust (but no resonator & no muffler)

This is on first tune (It needed work, and it got fixed but shortly after this dyno):

Most of my dynos (so far) on this dyno except for run #3 from my 2nd dyno session above, all on one plot (4 of 5 total):

Most recent Dyno session (11/22/08)
- 156hp/267tq, & 148hp/275tq:

Current set up: S/t BRM 1952 turbo, Dual Diaphragm clutch kit, 3 Bar MAP, PD130 Oil cooler, Boostlogic 3" DP and full exhaust, with Magnaflow 3" HF cat only,EGT/boost combo gauge from McNally, 1 KERMA tune run #1, 1 Aligator tune from Diesel Inside run #2, 1 botched run #3...

This was on a different dyno but still the same type Dynojet (248c).

---------------------------------------------------------------
Now running GT2556v turbo...

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I'd like to see what Kerma, Peter, and Jeff each think of this. Perhaps they can each come up with a Phase 1,2,3 etc. guidelines, packages, ideas, power levels for the A5 chassis .05.5-.06.5 cars with the PD engines.

Nice cars BTW, and they respond so well to a little help.

What do you think, guys? A little guidance, please!

Bill

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks Bill,

I think this has been tossed arround a bit, but not enough yet. The stages thing for PD's is interesting, and there are a few options for the BEW but, few for the BRM. I think and have heard people are working on more BRM options for turbos and more.

I just want opinions on getting to 230-240hp and If this proposed setup will get me there, and still be my daily driver getting 40+Mpg.
Also if I can do it better or for less.

I would also like to dyno before and after for general knowledge.

Steve

40X40 said:
I'd like to see what Kerma, Peter, and Jeff each think of this. Perhaps they can each come up with a Phase 1,2,3 etc. guidelines, packages, ideas, power levels for the A5 chassis .05.5-.06.5 cars with the PD engines.

Nice cars BTW, and they respond so well to a little help.

What do you think, guys? A little guidance, please!

Bill

Last edited:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
There may be a BRM getting a hybrid in the near future......stay tuned.....

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mrchill,

Is it going to be a Garrett 17/22 from Peter? I know he has sold several so far, but did not know if any PD's or specificaly BRM's had purchased one yet. I was not sure if Garrett had them ready for the PD yet or if Peter had recieved any, It still says on his web page that "VNT 17s for PD engines will be available later this month, and we'll be offering 17/22 hybrids for PDs shortly after that."

So your saying we shall hear something soon! :) I'm looking forward to it.

mrchill said:
There may be a BRM getting a hybrid in the near future......stay tuned.....

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
SBA; I am about the same situation you are in, considering upgades in the near future. I sure would like to ge the "expert's" input & advice. Bob

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mod plans, but what turbo?

I am bringing my BRM mod plans thread back from the dead. ;) And I need to size a new turbo for my goals of 180-200+ Whp.

I plan on using PD150 injectors or bigger (R783), I need to know what turbo I should use though. Can those who know help me sort through the maps and sizes, please.

I plan to use:
PD150 or the R783 injectors
A turbo large enough to:
-Clean up smoke
-Spool fast enough for street use, without operating it out of its map, or to the left of its map surging it.

My thoughts for my options so far:

1) gt2259v or 2260v - what one I don't know?
2) gt2256v also alternately called gt2556v...:confused:(on turbomaster) from BMW 3.0L (Model GT2556V - 454191-0015) or (GT2556V - 725364-0018) or Merc (GT2256V - 715568-0002)
3) gt2056v maybe this smaller turbo if it can meet my goals, from Jeep 3.0L(Model GT2056V - 763360-0001) or BMW (GT2056V - 700935-0006)

And are these the correct part numbers, I have above? I am looking from here: http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/catalogs/garrett.php

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT 01/07/09:

Turbo I ended up with:

The turbo I have now is a GT2556v from the VW LT II Van 2.8L TDI. :cool: The Garrett / Honeywell plaque. GT Part # 721204-5001S searched info here and here.

More stashing of turbo info for me (721204-0001) Turbo dynamics info on it

Last edited:

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What turbo are you running?

Or forget all that...and

What VNT20xx or WG and bigger turbo are you running, Do you recommend it?

-about how much power do you make/ will make
-what car is it from
-what is the part number

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Steve,
I'm in the same quandary regarding what turbo to consider if I were ever planning on an upgrade. If I remember correctly you told me that the exhaust/intake are reversed on the BRM as compared to a BEW. I may have this wrong. I've tried a couple of different turbos in the past on my ALH and liked the 17/22 from TDI Parts best. The power range was where I wanted it for a daily driver and it was quicker than any other to spool up. As Chill points out there may be a 17/22 on a BRM and I'll ask him more about this (along with Jeff, Peter and others) next weekend at The N.E. Dyno Day.

Jeff was clear with me that the exhaust was the biggest restrictor so going to a free flowing 3" pipe should really help. For some crazy reason I would like to see a 2.75" DP and exhaust to help with clearances. That means I need to get off my butt and go with Peter to his fabricator's shop so they can pull the stock one to measure. If I remember correctly the Miltek is 2.75" in size.

I suspect a PD 150/170 intake would be a good addition along with a larger MAF housing and ay an R32 intake. As far as axles, I never had a problem with my stock ones for 200+K miles even when the car (my old ALH) had 385 ft/lbs of torque. However I did put on a set of VR6 axles after that. I'm not up on the injectors enough to know if the PD 150 injectors are needed (over the PD 130's). That means more questions next weekend. Of course I might as well go with a 6-speed at this point too.

I'm quite awhile away from any engine mods, but will follow your progress with interest. Good luck and be sure to post your findings.

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
I would stay away from a wastegate turbo as it will smoke like a mofo at low rpm if you're tuned to get the most out of the top end. Plus it's like taking a step backwards imo as far as technical progress is concerned.

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
I will let you know how my VNT set-up works out in a few weeks. The BRM will not be a plug and play set-up, so will need to fab up some new manifolds and find a good size turbo.:D

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks Guys for the responses!

Sootman,

Yes and no...;)..sorry I may have mixed you up before.

The BRM turbo (BV-39) is in a much different configuration and flipped from "most other turbos". But it is kind of close to the BEW turbo (Kp-39) configuration. But the BV-39 is still a bit different than the Kp-39 (BV-39 has a V-band clamp exhaust no studs, and a different type and direction for the compressor exducer exit).

Also there is not a 17/22 for the BRM, only one for the BEW again due to the stock BRM configuration being different. I have not talked to Peter in a couple months if there is a new 17/22 for the BRM but this was true a while ago.

Yea I have a 3" full exhaust with HF cat only already, Oh and PD130/PD150 injectors are the same thing. I will keep my PD100 IM and airbox/MAF all the same for now unless its really needed, but I don't think it will be.

2footbraker,

Thanks, yea I kind of was aware of this but wanted to leave my options open, and open for comments, like yours, thanks you are validating what I thought, and why I would lean away from a WG setup.

TdiRacing said:
I will let you know how my VNT set-up works out in a few weeks. The BRM will not be a plug and play set-up, so will need to fab up some new manifolds and find a good size turbo.:D
Oliver,

I will be very interested in what you do. I know from here on out it is custom and not plug and play, and I am ok with that. After a different turbo is chosen, at the very least you/I/or any BRM car will need a OMI, a new different or custom exhaust manifold, and some custom IC piping, and need a new DP or to have someone change their OEM DP.

In my case I will have someone mod my BL 3" DP around to the other side and put the correct flange on it. I hope!

I really look forward to hearing what turbo size you pick, and seeing your exhaust manifold/work. And I bet Jeff's tuning on it. Please keep me posted, thanks! Let me know if I can help in anyway.

-Steve