www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old October 16th, 2017, 10:36   #16
ken.fresno-tdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30+ TDI Eurovan; 40+ on Jetta

Nice to see someone complete this. How did the electrical/wiring go? Any tricks that need to be figured out? How about mounting the go pedal?
ken.fresno-tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:34   #17
archemitis
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
right on, do you think an AC compressor will hang too far down ?
It looks like it would sit pretty low and might need some belly pan modification. I would say try it tough! I lifted mine, you just tighten the torsion bar nuts.
archemitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:39   #18
archemitis
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.fresno-tdi View Post
Nice to see someone complete this. How did the electrical/wiring go? Any tricks that need to be figured out? How about mounting the go pedal?

The wiring was easy, because I just wired it as a stand alone unit. The gauges and dash and most everything is still stock. I need to put in a 4 cylinder cluster to get a working tach.
I used a pedal out of a 2000 golf, so I just welded a steel plate to the old gas pedal mount.
There is something with the old auto tranny. It had a neutral safety switch that wouldnt let the starter spin with the new 5 speed installed. I just traced the starter wire to before this safety switch and got power for the starter solenoid from there.

Im still excited over an oil pan that worked without modification, except for the drain plug has to be moved to the other side. It (the entire system) holds 4 quarts and the level sits just below the rotating part of the crank assembly.
archemitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:09   #19
ken.fresno-tdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30+ TDI Eurovan; 40+ on Jetta

Did you replace or modify the in tank fuel pump? Or just let it remain and help give some more pressure to the ALH pump? I'd like to see a pic of the passenger side modified engine mount if you have one. That and the oil pan/pickup mod is what have me waiting to do a ALH conversion.

Re the wiring, if you don't run A/C that makes things a bit easier. Also no cruise control? That requires connecting with brake/clutch switches and stalk switch.

BTW, on my AHU conversion I mounted the intercooler in the front air dam under the bumper. Works great and mounts easily. No problem then pulling the radiator into service position to check oil and work on anything on the front of the engine. If anyone is interested my AHU conversion is documented here: http://kenssite.net/Eurovan/.
ken.fresno-tdi is offline   Reply With Quote