Full Size Spare for Golf

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
I had a full size spare I wanted to put in my new Golf, but discovered it wouldn't fit without replacing the trim around the hatch latch. The original piece is designed to look good with the trunk floor in the lower position. You can't lower the floor with a full size spare, so it's a different piece. The problem with the original piece is that it doesn't give you anywhere to really stow your regular wheel in the trunk if your using the donut spare.
Here's a link to the trim for the full size spare for the Golf.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/rear-lock-carrier-trim/5gm86345982v/
Here's a pic of my hatch with the full size spare.
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Interesting. I've been considering taking a file to my factory part so that I can remove my spare tire without having to first remove my amplifier board. But this may be a good solution. You wouldn't happen to have photos of the two parts that show the "lip," would you? Thanks for sharing!

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
With this trim you could easily rotate the donut spare up from the rear with out disturbing anything in front of the spare. I guess that's where your amp boards are.

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks!

Actually, the "amp board" covers the entire trunk:

When I designed my setup, I had planned to be able to remove the spare tire by simply tilting this board and then lifting the spare tire. Then I discovered that the spare tire has to come up by lifting it forward before bringing it rearward. That's a total no-go with the amp board in place.

Using the trim piece in your photo will allow me to lift the spare tire rearward with no need to go forward. It's a win! I definitely need to order one of these things.

Scott

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

I finally made the leap to one of these trim pieces. For reference, here's a photo that shows the spare tire being "blocked" by the trim panel:

This isn't terribly inconvenient if the trunk is empty. But it's a real PITA with my 68-lb electronics panel. Imagine having to evacuate the trunk in the rain. :eek: I replaced the rear trim panel with the trim panel linked in the OP. Now the spare tire to lift straight out. It’s a little unsightly to a perfectionist, but a very practical mod. See the photo and decide for yourself. Keep in mind that this area is usually covered by the trunk floor:

ECS had the best shipped price for this part.

Scott

Last edited: