Where do the rear sunroof drains go?

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
I've found the carpet in my Jetta, specifically the back seat on the driver's side, is soaking wet. I suspect the sunroof drain. I cleared the fronts, but IDK where the rears end up.
Strangely, I've also noticed moisture on the driver's side trunk liner around the CD changer. Related?

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Tornado Red, 99.5 Golf ALH, 2002 Jetta ALH
What about in the golf? I just took the headliner down in mine and the pipes are just barely poking through some holes.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Wow. I never would have thought they went all the way back there. I'm going to try compressed air to see if all the crap is out of them.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
My 03 Jetta wagon does not come out where the picture shows it.
I took the amp out of the back left panel and was able to see the hose going down.
Its the same area on the right side.
I think I read you can get to it if you take the wheel well plastic cover off, I never tried that.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
No!!! On the compressed air. You can blow the hose off the nipple up at the sunroof.

Maybe run a piece of string trimmer line up from the bottom.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Not sure if it's the case with the Jetta sedans, but in the Golf you can access the drain tube through the tail light access panel. I'd found that in the wife's car the tube had been pulled out of the grommet and water was collecting in the well area (keeping cabin moisture levels high). Can also access the drain tubes in the wagons (I'm forgetting the exact method, but it's not hard).

I run trimmer line back UP the drains. If you pull the tubes from the outlet grommets be sure to also poke the trimmer line through the grommets: I failed to do this on the wagon and it ended up backing up and overflowing into the cabin!:eek: (another case of being in a hurry)

I test by dispensing water into the holes (front) and rails. A turkey baster works really well for providing a more controlled dispensing. Before I attempt to clean I run some water and if it readily comes out the drain then I don't bother trying to clean.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Bulk speedometer inner cable works better than trimmer line for drain cleaning. It has better "pushability". Haven't purchased any in years, but I assume its still available at auto parts stores.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
If you "squeeze" the nipples most of the time you'll find that they unclog and can be flushed. They clog up because dirt and debris get in there and plug up the nipple, then back up. Unfortunately on the wagons the rear ones are a FIVE ALARM pain to get to.

dschultz

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
But where are the rear drains?

In the MkIV wagon, where are the rear sunroof drains?
I have been under the rear of the car but can't find them.

Thanks

dschultz

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
I missed that one. I have the seat/carpet/padding out for drying.
I will remove the rear wheels and liners so I can take a look.

Thanks.

Fun when the car develops into a swimming pool.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I missed that one. I have the seat/carpet/padding out for drying.
I will remove the rear wheels and liners so I can take a look.
Thanks.
Fun when the car develops into a swimming pool.
There's a rubber plug under that area.
I pulled mine down a bit in the back so it would drain until I open the door panels.

Have you opened the sun roof and pored water on that side to see if it came out the back.
Mine did.
I have to open my door panels and seal it back to the door.
Next time after it rains open the door and see if you have water on top of the area under the door.

dschultz

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
Follow up and more trouble...help???

I wanted to follow up to my sunroof drain issue.

I found that I needed to remove the rear bumper cover to access the rear drains.

Both had dirt in them and one contained a lot of standing water that drained out after I opened up the drain nipple.

But now an even bigger problem. pouring water in the sunroof channel to flush out the rear drains resulted in water running down the inside on the rear pillar into the tail light area. It seems the drain hoses are leaking above the headliner.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
You're probably stuck dropping the headliner; the probability is that the hoses have rotted at the top where they connect to the channel.

dschultz

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
Anyone have instructions on headliner/pillar removal and installation?
With pictures?
Because this is a Mk4 2005 looks like most of the postings on TDIClub and Vortex and expired pictures.

Also any detailed pics of the drain hose failure points?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In the MkIV wagon, where are the rear sunroof drains?
I have been under the rear of the car but can't find them.
Thanks
I ripped the radio amp out in the left quarter panel and the Styrofoam that held it.
The drain tube went down there to the front.
Similar on the passenger side.