www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old October 13th, 2017, 12:32   #16
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Default .216's or not, that is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyweiss11 View Post
Thanks Nevada TDI, Jetta Pilot, and Exenos. Sounds like the .216 is the vote for best all around combo'ed with a stage 3 tune. Right now my current plan is to do nozzles and a tune. A new clutch when this one wears out.

I do not plan to do turbo upgrade or exhaust. Just trying to get a little more HP to combo with the already great torque and increase MPG at higher cruising speeds.

Are .216 still the best choice even if I don't upgrade turbo, intake, or any other engine mods?

I have a local friend who tunes TDI's and specializes in diesels who I may have do my tune. Do most of you guys use KermaTDI for yours? That seems to be pretty highly recommended.
Running .216's with a Stage 3 tune is a great combo that also helps to keep EGT's check due to the shorter duration of injection window. TBH, I wish i would have spent the few extra dollars and purchased .216's instead of the .205's back when I got my Stage 3 tune. I ended up having to purchase nozzles twice with my current setup. I am not maxing out my PP764's fuel wise so .216's would have been a good choice both then and now. On a good day with my Stage 4 tune I get 48-50 MPG at 72 MPH; I believe if I had .216's instead I could likely get another 3 or 4 MPG at that speed. The potential caveat here is who wrote your tune, and what did you want it to do or be capable of doing? I have never heard of a Stage 3 Econo tune, but all these years later maybe one does exist.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 12:43   #17
compu_85
Gadget Guy

The only fuel economy vs. longevity trade off I can think of is using lighter engine oils, like a 0w30, instead of a 5w40. This can result in a litttttle bit better fuel economy, but increases engine wear.

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 15:00   #18
Exenos
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 251 View Post
Well, Jeff (Rocketchip) does all his tunes in person and he is still in demand. There is a GTG he is attending tomorrow and there are 15 individuals already on a list for his tuning services. So he is still a valid option especially for those on the East Coast and most Midwestern locations as he is based out of Pennsylvania.
Good to know, Ive never really heard much about him so I couldn't say much.
Exenos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 18:57   #19
tonyweiss11

Does anyone have any experience with cleaning injectors and intake and if that increases MPG? Just curious. From what I read on another forum, the spray pattern of the injectors seems to be as important as the actual injector as far as MPG. When you guys put your new injectors in did you do it yourself or take it to get professionally adjusted for spray pattern, timing etc.?

Right now I think my injectors are “OK”. The engine fires up pretty quick and no smoke or anything, but they may be dirty or spray poorly. They are the original injectors, never cleaned to my knowledge.
tonyweiss11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 19:19   #20
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Quality of the injector spray pattern is probably the #1 thing you can do to improve fuel economy beyond having a clean air filter.

Look up diesel purge.

-J
compu_85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2017, 02:11   #21
lagat

A lot of questions here and pretty good answers. I appreciate the comments and information.

Old October 14th, 2017, 11:57   #22
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Just to get back once more.
My former 2002 Jetta had the bad 4 speed automatic so the nozzles were .158 for the automatic. Why? Who knows VW's thinking. But the injector pump was bigger than on the manuals. The manuals had .205's nozzlesand that was my first step. Made a big improvement. Next way back in 2005 we had a member who did Unitronic tunes. So I had that done. Another big step up.
Any more than a stage 2 tune will require a larger turbo, mucho dineros.
Also may need EGR delete etc and the costs will be mounting up.

In my opinion a Stage 2 is or should be plenty for most people unless you also intend wearing out tires quicker than normal and replacing the clutch or auto tranny prematurely. When I got the Passat last year the Jetta was still running like a top. I DO NOT do jack rabbit starts at any time!
All interior bulbs to LED. Several VCDS modifications. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes.LED DRL's.Average 1 year 30/6/16 to 30/6/17 - 50.71 Mpg - 5.56 L/h

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote