VAG-COM and actual mileage readings

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
I am posting here because the OBD forum is not that popular

Can someone enlighten me how to use vag-com to verify if my gauge cluster mileage is indeed actual to the vehicle?

I bought a CPO 15 GSW TDI a few months ago and the more I drive it and notice things, the more I REALLY question if the mileage on the cluster is valid

I bought it with 36K miles, however I have noticed that the fog lights, head lights, and windshield are all sandblasted (indicative of lots of highway time - only noticeable at night) and the floor mat wear in the driver's heel area looks more like 100K+. Of course I didn't notice this at the dealer at the time...

I am just suspicious that something happened to this car and would like to attempt to confirm. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
no, the mpg # on the display is terribly optimistic. I get 50mpg on the display but get 400 miles from 10 gallons. I know my odometer is correct because the distance to work to home is consistent with maps and all my other cars. I am using the same station pump I always used and I trust I am pumping 10 gallons in. Therefore I trust the calculation of 40mpg that fuelly tells me (I rounded to simply. I really get 39ish on fuelly).

You can adjust it on VCDS and there are lots of posts on the mk7 forum here if you do a search. My experience is that you can adjust to get closer but it is very hard to be very accurate. I don't want to constantly tweak VCDS to get it just right. I just know it tells me 50mpg on the dash and I do a mental conversion to 39.7 mpg and so forth. That is easy enough for me. 45mpg on the dash is 35ish mpg.... lots of unnecessary math but I accepted it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That is not at all what he is asking.

I do not know if the EDC17 system has the mileage in the ECU like the EDC15/16 does, but I would be shocked if it didn't.

Did you try the mileage checker on your car already?

oilhammer

TDI
Most Bosch engine controllers store an approximated vehicle mileage, and that is I think what he is asking about.

I will have a 2011 in here in the morning, I will look and see if VCDS' mileage checker works on it. The ross-tech guys will know right away, I would ask them. May even be on their wiki pages somewhere.

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
Yes that is exactly what I am looking to find out. I haven't hooked up the vag com yet I was just curious if anyone knew where to access this if it did exist. I haven't used vag com on this car yet, only the other 09 and 10 that I turned in

Thanks!

oilhammer

TDI
OK, I checked on a 2011 I had in here this morning, and the EDC15/16 mileage checker did NOT work on that car.

I would post in the scanner forums, as the ross-tech folks are almost always lurking about in there, and I am 100% positive they would know one way or the other if that information is in the Engine controller somewhere.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The ECU stores faults with mileage, rpm and time stamps can't this be easily checked against the cluster? If someone reset the cluster, could they have reset the ECU as well?