fuel problem assistance/trouble shooting?

diesel#2

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen, 2004.5 Passat Variant (sold), 2000 Golf (still in family), 1998 jetta (RIP)
fuel problem assistance/ trouble starting

HEY-- for anyone watching this (I see lots of views)

Issue resolved-- and simply. I did replace the fuel filter (w/ a second new one) and also changed the fuel-filter-valve at the same time. I failed to prime w/ the system open (allowing air out so fuel could get in). Paul told me the same thing happened at the last GTG. Popping out the fuel-filter-valve and allowing to prime (just turn the key) until filter filled w/ fuel, solved my problem. It WAS difficult to start... but up and running now and car starting/running as expected.

I don't know if it contributed but I hadn't changed my fuel filter valve (the t-thing on right hand side of filter) for.. errr.. a long time (80k possibly?). How often does that need to be replaced anyway?

Original description of problem---

I thought there might be a problem w/ the fuel filter.When car was heavily loaded and going up a steep grade at low speeds, the car sputtered (or acted like it does if you’ve ever had a fuel filter gel on you).I thought possibly fuel (bad or not winterized) so quickly added 8 gallons or so to the tank.Things seemed ok… but not quite 100% so I decided maybe I needed to change the fuel filter(it only had 10k on it but it was over a year old so…)
When the new filter was installed the car ran fine for 5 seconds and then stopped.I double/triple checked everything and all seemed in order except that with the new fuel filter there seemed to be a LOT of pressure after priming the pump (turning the key and letting fuel pum in back send fuel). There was so much pressure that it sprayed all over the place when I went to double-check all connections.I’d never had this happen before (fuel under so much pressure) so … I thought maybe there WAS something wrong w/ this replacement.So.. I drained the water out of the old fuel flter (all of 4 tablespoons before clean fuel) and re-installed but the car still won’t start (I can hear the pump at the back whirring and see fuel in the filter and in all the lines)
And.. here’s the part I don’t want to admit—it was cold (32 or so) and the hoses were stiff/stuck (as they often are) and I got the bright idea that if I ran the car for a few minutes the warmth might loosen things up (and at least I’d have heat coming off the engine to warm my hands).Only problem was, I hadn’t really secured the part on the right of the fuel filter w/ the O-rings (you know the piece I'm talking about)—it popped out and fuel went EVRERYWHERE (ugh, what a mess)
So.. advice appreciated.Car won’t start like it doesn’t have any fuel but..I really don’t think this is a fuel issue.Is there a sensor I might have hit/destroyed w/ fuel?A second fuel pump up front that maybe is the cause (not the filter) as I can hear the pump in the back (I have vague recollections that the car has 2 fuel pumps for some reason but can’t remember why I think this)….I could just get another new filter and try that but I think something else is going on.Input from the peanut gallery appreciated.
FWIW—I’m original owner, 132k, well maintained (usual issue one experiences w/ this car—alternator at 60k, turbo hose that was rubbed by string-tie, balance shaft upgrade).I do most of my own basic maintenance but the limit of what I tackle usually stops at the fuel filter.
I’m in Baltimore City (near JHU Homewood/Charles Village) if anyone is near.
Thanks, Chad

Last edited:

ShaneShelley234

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 5 speed manual (DVZ)
Where did you get your "fuel filter valve" I think really called a fuel recirculation valve?