new skid plate now vibration

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I just put a new Evolution skid plate oin my B5.5 and now have a bad vibration when I put it in reverse and load the suspension. It really vibrates bad. I watched the engine tilt forward when all this happens so I suspect the front motor mount is causing it. The two oil hydraulic side mounts were recently replaced but not this one. Should I go ahead and replace it since the car is at 200k and see if that fixes it? At this point it seems the logical thing to do as the plate was installed per the instructions and doesn't appear to be hitting the engine. It's really a nice plate and I hate to remove it especially with all the ice on the roads now.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I don't think the front snubber mount would control the engine tilt you describe, its possibly the trans mounts either being too soft or the engine mounts being aftermarket not being correct oem ones.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Got the mounts and Thor plate from Bora. Aaron doesn't sell crap. I'm gonna have to look closer and see what mounts are causing this tilt.

Last edited:

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
You may need to do some selective cutting on the plate. I have the panzer, and it rubbed against the horizontal bar (stabilizer?) on both of my Passats.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thx-I'll check there and see if the Thor is doing the same thing. It had a couple of 1/2" nylon spacers for better tranny cooling which I used to lower it in the back. I'm gonna call Aaron at Bora later today for his input.

Last edited:

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
My panzer plate will vibrate/rattle if it's not put on in just the right position. Might also look at the thread below - related to the panzer plate but still may help. There's a torque mount adjustment you may try without altering the plate. Easy adjustment and it worked for me but my plate is still sensitive to how far forward it's mounted to stop the vibration in reverse. Good luck in any case.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=258984&highlight=vibration

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are you talking about the mount on the front of the engine? vwztips told me to loosen it and try moving it up. Looks like that's the correct fix in the link below too. Thx so much Tom B.
My panzer plate will vibrate/rattle if it's not put on in just the right position. Might also look at the thread below - related to the panzer plate but still may help. There's a torque mount adjustment you may try without altering the plate. Easy adjustment and it worked for me but my plate is still sensitive to how far forward it's mounted to stop the vibration in reverse. Good luck in any case.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=258984&highlight=vibration

Last edited:

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Are you talking about the mount on the front of the engine? vwztips told me to loosen it and try moving it up. Looks like that's the correct fix in the link below too. Thx so much Tom B.
Yes it's on the front, sounds like one and the same. Give it a try, hope it works.

Last edited:

db52282

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Sedan
I just put a new Evolution skid plate oin my B5.5 and now have a bad vibration when I put it in reverse and load the suspension. It really vibrates bad. I watched the engine tilt forward when all this happens so I suspect the front motor mount is causing it. The two oil hydraulic side mounts were recently replaced but not this one. Should I go ahead and replace it since the car is at 200k and see if that fixes it? At this point it seems the logical thing to do as the plate was installed per the instructions and doesn't appear to be hitting the engine. It's really a nice plate and I hate to remove it especially with all the ice on the roads now.
I installed the same skid plate on my Passat a year or so ago. Had the very same problem. Adjusting the front bumper did little to no go since the engine seemed to tilt and move the plate. Probably what is happening is it is contacting with the skid plate and causing the vibrations. I had to cut my skid plate some and finally installed rubber grommets between the front bolts to lower the plate slightly in the front.

I changed my motor mounts and trans mounts but still had the vibration. You will probably have to do something like what I described otherwise it will continue to drive you crazy. It did me.

Hope that helps.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bought a new front bumper mount from VW (only $18) and will install it this weekend along with checking the vertical adjustment on it and report back. It's not very dense material so I should have replaced it when I did the MMs. I can see why these mounts can be problemmatic. Got to fix it or take the plate off. I'm gonna glue rubber on the plate too for sound deadening. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Finally, the new bumber mount is installed, beat a couple of places down with some heat and a ball pein hammer, cut the top off the cutout off for tranny cooling and I have no more vibrations. Hopefully, the vendors who sell this Thor Evolution unit will upgrade their installation instructions.

Montezuma

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI,2005 Jeep Liberty CRD, 1981 Caddy diesel, 1981 dasher Diesel, 1986 quantum td, 1992 d250 Cummins, 1995 2500 Cummins, 1986 dodge d50 td.
I had the same problem and has mostly been remedied with washers and I believe a longer screw. Bora said they had not heard of the problem but it was REALLY bad.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah,definitely should be addressed by Bora and the other vendors. I had to use the big plastic bushings that came with the plate too and the installation instructions said to use them if you wanted more transmission cooling.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine is still vibrating. I'm replacing the tranny mounts Friday and if that doesn't stop it, I'll try some rubber grommets in the front bolts of the Thor skid plate. If that doesn't work, Thor will be in the attic! He's sure been a troublesome turd.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Not sure if the mounting locations are the same, but my Panzer Plate came with some thick washers to use as spacers at the rear mounting points. After I had some work done on the car I had a vibration. I checked, and the shop hadn't put the spacers in when they installed the plate. Got some new washers, slipped them in, and the vibration went away.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Weird. I have a plate from a car I bought and no spacers or anything and no vibrations.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Weird. I have a plate from a car I bought and no spacers or anything and no vibrations.
Agree-weird. That's why I'm doing tranny mounts Friday. I'm also gonna lower the front of the plate too with more rubber to space it down. With all new OEM motor mounts,snub mount and tranny mounts, hopefully this will go away once and for all. If not, back to the plastic. A skid plate is a bit of overkill on a B5.5 as the oil pan doesn't protrude near as much as an A4 anyhow. I just hate those crappy oe plastic ones-always cracking and breaking loose. If it weren't for the sound deadening they provide...

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tranny mounts replaced Friday. They were in bad shape. The webbed parts had all broken loose. Replaced and glued rubber onto the plate at all contact points. Vibration was less but still some at the passenger front door card idling in drive. I took it off and made sure all the plastic mounting plugs were in properly and most of the vibration is now gone. I recently had a GLX V6 that I reconstructed and was driving and I guess a TDI is gonna have some vibration when compared to a gasser but at least the noise is gone from the door card vibrating and I can live with it. No problem at all when driving. Time for another 100k.

Last edited: