E-code headlights

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Greetings:
My driver side headlight is broken (there is a piece broken which causes the beam pattern to be low and also the bulb vibrates a lot). I am trying to find out the pros/cons of buying just one OEM one (around $215) or to 'upgrade' to the E-code one. I found this one from Ecstuning but it is not available until December ($450 for a set):
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Passat_B5-FWD-TDI/Lighting/Headlights/ES1848600/
Has anybody purchased these or other ones (E-code beam) and can share some experience and link(s) to buy them? They are supposed to be direct bolt in plug & play headlights, correct?
Thanks in advance.

ps I just found these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-05-VW-PASSAT-B5-5-OEM-FACTORY-STYLE-REPLACEMENT-HEADLIGHTS-CHROME-/121382428572?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c42f4df9c

Last edited:

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Just put an order for the Helix ones from eBay Seller rlinesport for $175 a set. Now I need to go and find the instructions for the headlight replacement (three hours of work it looks like!).

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sorry if I couldn't talk longer on the phone, I was in the middle of three different things. :eek:

I didn't have anything more to add, though, since I haven't shopped for any of these since my car was new, 10 years ago.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
HR, can you confirm that the ones you got are E code, not north american? i am also on the hunt for Ecode, and have found references which indicate that the DEPO brand were Ecode but used H1 bulbs, but ican't confirm anyone sells the here in NA...
I think mine use h2 and have plastic lenses. I'm naive about what ecode even means. I thought they were glass. They are also too expensive.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Just put an order for the Helix ones from eBay Seller rlinesport for $175 a set. Now I need to go and find the instructions for the headlight replacement (three hours of work it looks like!).
Not a bad job. Just remove the nose and grill. 30 minutes or so each way. Hope yours work as well as the ada brand I bought per my previous post. HIDS are what make them and work so nicely in the projectors. I got the Kensun brand 4500 color on Amazon and have had no problem with them over a year now. I had a set of 6000 but were a tad too blue for my taste.

Last edited:

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
What is Ecode

Ecode is an abbreviation for the standards used in European lighting

when comparing the north american headlites provided on our passat with the ecode available, there are differences which can be noticed.

i sent an email to the ebay vendor rlinesport, and the answer was elusive at best

Me "Dear rlinesport,

i might be interested in purchasing these lights, but only if the are Ecode for europe, intended for driving on the right side of the road, can you confirm that they are Ecode rated?"

reply "

[FONT=&quot]These headlights are set up for US-standard driving on the left side of the road. "

my further though
if they are ecode lights they would have an Ecode designater in the clear lense "E4 follower by a lot of numbers and letters which make no sense to mere mortals"

i just checked 3 sets of vw lights and all the north american delivery lights only had an designater of DOT.

beware of parts with questionable DNA.
[/FONT]

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Aftermarket lights rarely have a proper beam pattern. Stick HID's in there and the scattered light is even worse. Stick to OEM.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Aftermarket lights rarely have a proper beam pattern. Stick HID's in there and the scattered light is even worse. Stick to OEM.
Beg to differ. Some may be bad and maybe I've been a "rarely" lucky guy thrice with the ADA ones. No flashing lights at me yet but I do adjust my new lights before driving. Just passing along my experience and big cost saving. The halo is so cute too.:)

Last edited:

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan, 2016 E250 Sport
I purchased a set of e-code DEPO headlights. They suck. The small bulbs that power the halos burned out within a year. The mechanism that adjusts the position of the beam is super cheap. I must have ran it off the screw, so I will take it apart and try to repair. I will also try to install LEDs to illuminate the halos. Oh yeah, the inserts that adjust the base were cross threaded at an angle. If I can't repair them, I'll get OEM Hella e-codes.

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
Tikal
i just got another reply from the vendor he states that the lights are Ecode, so when you get them could you please take a couple of pictures with rubber caps off so i can see the clips which hold down the bulbs? thanks

Montezuma

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI,2005 Jeep Liberty CRD, 1981 Caddy diesel, 1981 dasher Diesel, 1986 quantum td, 1992 d250 Cummins, 1995 2500 Cummins, 1986 dodge d50 td.
I installed some Sypder headlights with LEDS. Bights appear the same but the regular light seems to be an upgrade(at least from my oem pitted and faded lights)

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Tikal
i just got another reply from the vendor he states that the lights are Ecode, so when you get them could you please take a couple of pictures with rubber caps off so i can see the clips which hold down the bulbs? thanks
Thanks for everyone that has contributed to this thread. I will give feedback when I receive the headlights next week. This is my first time working with R&R of headlights so I am learning. I do not intend do put HID's in these headlights but upgraded halogen ones (I will share later which ones).
santacll, I will take the pictures as per your instructions and share here (hopefully I can insert the pics properly in my message).

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Headlights arrived from rlinesport

Tikal
Ok it finally arrived tonight (about a week in transit from San Jose, CA). I am not ready yet to take all the plastic warps (will do when time for install):

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When you get them installed, try to post up a photo of the beam pattern on the wall

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
pictures are good

hey Tikal thanks for posting those pics

don't want to get anyone upset, but those bulb mounts are top notch for installing HID as a retrofit behind the projector lowbeam.

i had a set of euro HID (real hid with D2S bulbs) in my B5 passat and they were fabulous.

enjoy the good lighting

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
hey Tikal thanks for posting those pics
don't want to get anyone upset, but those bulb mounts are top notch for installing HID as a retrofit behind the projector lowbeam.
i had a set of euro HID (real hid with D2S bulbs) in my B5 passat and they were fabulous.
enjoy the good lighting
Would the HID setup be plug and play or required hardware changes? I have already purchased my halogen H7 bulbs for these headlights but I am curious for the future.

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
HID's

the best way to go HID is with a Hella or Valeo factory approved setup. the euro Ecode also provide better coverage over the right side of the road for signs etc. so by getting the ecode we are at least one step closer to best.

the aftermarked HID kits replace the std H7 (or other bulb) with a HId bulb which is configured to place the hotspot of the bulb as near as possible to the location of the H7 bulb filament, these are sometimes called rebased bulbs. they work okay but a D2S HID in my mind is still a better setup.

may places sell the hid kit , buying from any one of them is better based on previous recommendations .

the install will typically add a number of wires which will connect the existing wiring to the ballast which inturn fires the "HID" rebased bulb, and they are usually stuck through the rubber boot.

the only issue encounter here in canada is that we have daytime running lights which operate at a reduced voltage. on my 99 passat i just added a jumper wire to bypass the inline resistor which was in a section of the wiring harness,

with these light and seperate fogs it may be possilbe to reconfigure the fog to run as the DRL. i have not yet investigated what my 2005 passat would require.

i need to get an old lite out of a 2004/05 passat to disassemble. i want to check and see if the D2S project setup from the 99 would fit into the 2005, it would be my preference.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: I removed the original headlights and installed the new ones over the weekend. It took some time as it always happens with 'first times'. This video was helpful for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZON0L8gPq4c

So far I have not been able to put back the two (out of three) hex screws on the driver side of the bumper underneath the wheel well. Somehow they are not going back into any thread as they came out!
But a bigger issue is that when I drove at night I noticed that the projection of the driver side headlight is way short! So I would like to get together with somebody local that has experience with the adjustments of these headlights and see if I can fix this problem. One thing I did not do is to transfer the washers at the bottom of the original headlights (the ones used to make adjustments) to the new headlights since the new ones came with them.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've had to ad extra washers under those adjusters so that's pretty normal. That way you can get the adjuster nut neutral in it's travel to go up or down for rough beam height adjustment.

Last edited:

pbdr

TDI
'00 Golf TDI, '04 Passat Wagon, '02 Bmw 325xi touring
Any luck in the install Tikal? Need new headlights too and was wondering about the beam. Thanks.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I am hoping to get with a friend this weekend (preferably close to dusk) to adjust the headlight and go for a test drive so I am comfortable with the beam pattern (on the wall and on the road). I will report back.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
So I adjusted the driver side headlight which was projecting too short. Now it is much better when I drove home last night. Also I noticed that these E-code headlights have the feature of illuminating more the signs on the side of the road which is a good thing in my view. I also installed the new Osram Rallye 65w H7 bulbs:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I will try to take another shot on a dark road if I can (last experience was at dusk).

Also to let you know that originally I was going to install the Lamin-x protective film. Then I talked with a co-worker who is also an artist in his spare time. I decided to have him apply a very strong epoxy solution that he uses on outdoors wood sculptures to protect from UV radiation and other environment impacts (heat, humidity, etc.). The ingredients for this epoxy are from PPG Industries:

* Concept DCU2002 (the most expensive stuff but you only need an oz or so)
* DX73 conditioner
* DCX61
* DT860

Warning: this stuff is extremely toxic:eek::eek:, do not mix, apply without professional protective gear and consulting with somebody who has used it previously. The cost is very reasonable, hoping that it will significantly extend the life of these headlights in the South.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat TDI GLS Wagon, 5 speed manual
So how have you liked the headlights over time, and the chem coating so far?

Thanks!