Who wants a b5 manual trans?

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
If this thread is out of line delete it and I won't bring it up again. I have a unique job that offers me free travel around the world at the drop of a hat so I have decided to go to Europe and get myself a proper 5 speed for my b5.5v. the auto is still in great shape(let me know if you want it) but I just can't handle it any longer I need to shift gears and push a clutch! I understand that these transmissions can be had very inexpensively in Europe. I am proposing that any member that wants one I can get them one for cost and a small markup. I will remain competitive to the vendors here who supply the kits. I won't be importing kits just the gear box. possibly clutch kits if it will be worth it but I understand those might be available stateside? So if anyone is interested in this let me know I will plan on doing this sometime early 2015 and the more people interested the faster it will get done. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from some people! I have done some of my own research but what is the consensus on the best trans code to use?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
FHN is the code for the European diesel 5sp.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Wish I had a job that allowed me to travel Europe at the drop of a hat !
What fun.

I would be interested in a clean low mile manual transmission if the price were right. Not sure the best transmission code to buy, but I am sure one of the gurus can chime in here and tell you what to look for. I do know I want a tall 5th or 6th gear.

Most likely we will need the pedal assemblies as well.

Thanks

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Six speed gearboxes have problems. That's why Frans only offers rebuilt units with "improved" bearings.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
My research indicates a six speed is more of a novelty than anything else. As I understand the 5 speeds are pretty stout.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I would be interested in a clean low mile manual transmission if the price were right.
"Clean"? Thanks for making me laugh today.

As for low miles, you need to define that. As most of these transmissions are 10-14 years old now anything less than 100k is difficult to find.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Approx 150-175 max

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
How are you planning to ship these? How can you guarantee they are good or the mileage claimes is accurate? Do you have or know anyone that is in the salvage bussiness in Europe? If the answers to most of these questions are no, I suggest you do some research once you are over there and then decide if you still want to be in this bussiness. Many people will say they are interested in buying from you but then when time comes to actually buy it, they will flake out. That's just how this goes.

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000
I would be willing to consider any vw 5 speed that had under 300,000 miles.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Shipping is not an issue
Mileage most folks in Europe scrap there cars at pretty low miles compared to America as I understand
I have some contacts
I will secure my buyers properly even if someone flakes there seems to be demand in general.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
Let me define " Clean" --- Clean means: completely rebuilt and fully serviced out with new or almost new "quality" transmission parts.

I would never consider installing a used (10-15 year old) transmission with high miles, without having someone freshen it up and service it out.

I am pretty familiar with Borg Warner T5 Mustang (5.0 V8) Transmissions.
New bearings, new output shaft, new synchronizers, etc.

I.E- Miles and age = wear and tear.

Labor is expensive, therefore I like to have the job done correctly the first time around.

Last edited:

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat wagon TDI, 99 Beetle ALH
What does one of these weigh?
I can't remember exactly but I shipped a gas transmission a few years ago and I'm pretty sure that it was around 85 lbs without flywheel or clutch, just transmission.

I have a V6 transmission laying around and don't have any issues picking it up by myself. Automatic transmissions are a complete different story.

Just my $0.02 :)

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, I could go for a clean (low mileage) transmission and run it As-IS.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Europeans don't scrap their TDIs or any other car sooner than here. What happens is that they get a second life in the poorer countires of Europe and then they get scrapped. Unless you see the car and the odometer, do not trust anything a dismantler says. Dame goes for this side of the pond too.

ELM

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle 5 speed swap
Europeans don't scrap their TDIs or any other car sooner than here. What happens is that they get a second life in the poorer countires of Europe and then they get scrapped. Unless you see the car and the odometer, do not trust anything a dismantler says. Dame goes for this side of the pond too.

When ever I call a wrecking yard about a engine or transmission they always tell me that they have around 85,000 miles on them. ;) I try to look at the car for myself and see how it was taken care of. And it's still a crap shoot on the condition of the part.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
All I can say is if they ripped too many people off they'd be out of business. The only ones who can violate this basic economic law is our friends at the IRS.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All I can say is if they ripped too many people off they'd be out of business. The only ones who can violate this basic economic law is our friends at the IRS.
It's not a rip off if the part lasts a bit. I think you are pretty naive when it comes to this bussiness. The wrecker will say....only has X amount of kilometres, and since the part is in good enough condition to last a while, they will not be completly ripping the buyer off. However, instead of 5 years the part will fail in 3. 3 years is too far to go back to the wrecker so nothing will happen to them. Unless I'm buying a part that is not mileage dependent (body panels and so on), I never trust what the wrecker is telling me unless I can check it myself. Sometimes a very low mileage part will look nearly new and that is at least some way of checking it.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Yea I already said that this guy likes doom and gloom. I can tell when someone is lying to me and if I'm getting ripped off. Manual transmissions are something that VW didn't really drop the ball on. I will guarantee these boxes I get from over there I have a very reliable contact that already has a reputable source and logistics. So haters keep hating and if you want one get ahold of me.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've exported a few cars to Europe so have some experice in this field. I'm not trying to be doom and gloom, just poining out the facts of this bussiness. Better to be prepared than cought off guard.
I really hope it works out for you but it's good to plan for the worst.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
I seem to be in the market for one. Any idea of prices at this point. Lots advertised on European ebays.