MPG effect of Elephant Hose Mod

JDrrex

Hello all.

I just did the elephant hose mod. However, fuel consumption has gone up like 20%.

Is this the normal price to pay for a cleaner intake or should I worry about something else??

BTW, I also deleted the EGR but it should not be affecting.

Thx for replies /images/graemlins/confused.gif

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Ther is no change in MPG. It is either different style of driving of more than likely the fuel you now have is of the winter formula. Cold weather also means longer warm up cycle and more fuel used.

Denis

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5sp, 2002, White
The elephant hose mod has no affect on fuel mileage. I'v had mine installed for the last 15k miles. What specifically do you mean by deleting the EGR? Did you adjust it using the VAG-COM, or remove/disconnect the valve from the controls?

The EGR won't have any noticeable affects on mileage either. Have you checked your snow screen for blockage, that can affect mileage as well as performance.

Denis

JDrrex

In my case I live in a tropical zone so colder temperatures are like 24 Centigrade.

I also did a DRL mod which keep my fogs on constantly (28 watts X2). On the other side the climate has been warmer, with a typical day between 24-32 Degrees centigrade. Can the warmer climate affect so much Turbo efficiency or the higher Amp draw effect can be the cause??

Thx

jasonTDI

TDI
Sounds like the MAF is going out.

mailman

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Black Jetta TDI
Are you sure you hooked the "elephant hose" up to the hockey puck and also blanked off the port on the intake runner? And if so, are you sure the blank is not leaking?

Disconnecting the EGR will cause the engine to take longer to warm up (and consume more fuel in the process) ... but in your situation, the engine is essentially always warm, so I think this is a non-issue with you.

JDrrex

I am sure that the setup is fine and no leaks.

Does not really make sense that the CCV gases would serve as fuel when connected?? I think that the oil fumes are sufficiently combustible since when connected the engine does more "dieseling" on shutdown.

The vehicle only has 6K miles so I doubt that there is a mechanical effect (MAF or otherwise).

Do fuel quality might be affecting?? any other comments??

Thx /images/graemlins/confused.gif

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Are you sure your hose is providing an unobstructed exit for the CCV gasses? The only thing I can think of that would increase fuel consumption is obstruction of the CCV vent.

mailman

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Black Jetta TDI
It goes against every fiber of my being, but if you reconnect the EGR you could see if your fuel economy improves.

The elephant hose mod, if properly installed, will have no appreciable affect on fuel ecomony.

jasonTDI

TDI
Maybe the timing has changed due to belt strech. It is just past the break-in time frame. Mine did and the fuel economy went south.