MK IV Variant drivers side door stuck

tkoivuro

TDI
Golf IV Variant 1.9TDI 66kW
So I have 2001 Variant TDI and trouble is i cannot open drivers side door. The door does lock/unlock with key or central lock just fine. Both handles make that normal "door opening sound" and have some resistance when operated but the door will not open.

My guess is that the latch is just not releasing from striker. No amount of bashing, cursing and violence seemed to help.

How do i get the door opened? Climbing in from passenger side gets really old really fast :D

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I've worried about this happening.
Did you try lifting the door (open the window) while someone works both handles & bumps the door a bit?
My top hinge is bad and the door hangs down a tiny bit. Maybe your door is putting to much pressure to release.
I think I would take the seat out to get the inner door panel off to get in there.
Should be able to get the regulator off at that point.
Not sure how different the Golf Variant is. :(

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
On mine, a good solid thump of a fist on the sheet metal of the door seems to jostle something and allow it to open. Driver's side front, Driver's side rear, and sometimes the passenger rear have been sticky at times. Driver side front is about every other day...

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
As where2 stated, I also fist bump my drivers side handle, passenger front and rarely drivers rear.

I made it a rhythm, unlock with key fob, bump handle with pinky side of a fist and open door.

I have dealt with this for months now but recently read a post to lube the catch area(I used Fluid Film) and now it even occasionally opens without a fist bump. Ended up lubing my hinges for all doors, trunk and hood at the same time.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Are you saying you bump the handle you pull, not the door skin?
That is what I do, I believe where2 indicated he hits the door sleeve. Personally, I find that bumping the handle works for me.

Also, I started soft and worked up to how hard I have to hit it; honestly, its a firm bump at most.
Surprisingly takes a slight bump really.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I've been having the stuck latch problem also on the driver's door. Bumping the handle with the heal of my hand usually works to open the door, but this morning that did not work. I will try RodKnock's suggestion with the lube on the latch.