transmission issue

slayersick344

TDI
2000 vw golf
Hey guys,btw,im new here so hello there everyone!
Sooo,i have a small transmssion question. So,i know my 5 speed tranny needs the clutch cable adjustment.but all gears go in smoothly except fifth gear ocassionally. When i shift from 4th to 5th,i feel some resistance putting it in. It feels rubbery,if that makes sense. Reverse feels like this too,but a little less. All other gears when they go in,they go in smooth. Have any of you experienced this? Is there some kind of bearings that need to be lubricated or something? Let me know,please and thanks guys

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
Welcome to the club!

There is no clutch cable on your car. It's all hydraulic. The shifter linkage sounds like it needs adjusting though. You'll find those cable connections on top of the transmission not too far away from the battery. Careful playing with it because when it's old the plastic bits on it break easily. There is a excellent how to adjust your shifter cables video here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sheTKD03hmo
Have fun!

Andrew

totalloser

TDI
04 golf
Man, that description sounds almost like a shift fork tab is off the synchro collar. Check cable stuff first though.

The shift forks in these transmissions are very different from most. Instead of sliding on rails, they pivot on bearings. Since they pivot, they have to have rotating tabs to engage the collars since the angle changes during a shift.

slayersick344

TDI
2000 vw golf
Yes,thats what i meant! The shifter linkage cables need adjustment. But my issue with the fifth gear is different i think. I will have to do the adjustment this weekend hopefully. It says 5mm drillbit or similar. Would you guys agree with that size?

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
I agree with the size - but good luck finding a 5mm drill bit. I have found them online/ebay - but not in stores.

I ended up finding a set of cheap-Chinese star wrenches (similar to allen wrenches) - one of which was 5mm. Fit perfectly.

slayersick344

TDI
2000 vw golf
Puntmeister: i will look around to see what i can find.
Danvito: not sure. I bought the car just recently,about 2 months ago? I got it at 158k and now its at 161k. Previous owner had records of maintenance done but i didnt see anything on the transmission. I should probably change it huh? Better safe than sorry!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Change the tranny fluid. Either OEM or search to find your preferred GL-4 alternative.
Check the shift cables via the method linked.
If you still have an issue, have a look at the shift tower assembly. Often they get corroded up internally and can even get worn and sloppy.
I've only had one with a bad/bent shift fork (1st gear) and didn't repair it, just swapped in a different tranny.

DanVito

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon, BEW, 242k miles & counting
I agree with Jettawreck. Definitely change the fluid with GL-4, not GL-5 or GL-4/5 hybrid. I had problems with notchy shifting and grinding 2nd to 3rd. After a fluid change with Redline MT-90 it's been smooth going ever since. (According to VW, the tranny fluid is not a "maintenance item":eek:)

If the fluid change doesn't do the trick, then look at the shifter cables.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Shifter cables themselves might be over-worn. Look at all the plastic bits on the cable linkages, move them around by hand a bit to see if you can sense a bunch of play: can't say how much is too much, just that it's something that does happen. At 161k miles I wouldn't think it in bad shape, but you never know.

I installed Diesel Geek Sigma 5 short shifters (blatant pulg! I only plug things that I'm 100% confident in) in both my cars and put in AC Delco Syncromesh w/Friction Modifiers (only fluid I've seen that I wasn't able to find anyone unhappy with- no one that I could find had changed it out for something else). This combo has turned my crappy shifting car into a joy to shift: bought with 114k miles; fluid was changed about 7k miles or so ago, so ample amount of time to get a good enough idea.

totalloser

TDI
04 golf
If not, I'd be thinking about a clutch since the trans may need to come out. It's not a hard repair if a tab is just off. Pop the case open and put the tabs back in place. And be careful they don't pop back off- the shift fork pivots get put back in with the case installed and it's easy to have them get out of position during reassembly.

If a tab is broken/damaged, IIRC they can be replaced without taking the forks off or any gear cluster disassembly. There are little clips that retain them in the forks, and there is adequate wiggle in the linkage since the fork bearing pivots are removed before the case comes apart.

Assuming this to be the issue, it needs to be fixed or the synchro blocker ring will wear unevenly and you will have to bust the gear clusters apart to replace it. Also this will mean that parts of the shift fork are likely riding on a spinning shift collar causing goofy wear. In short the semi-backyard repair turns into a "professional" repair.

There are a couple sneaky bolts on the case, and "triple squares" are needed.

In *theory* I think you could access the 5th hub from the cover plate on the end of the transmission, pull the 5th pivot bolts and do it without removal. Or at least be able to inspect the forks. You would *have* to hold the fork in place to get the pivots back in though since gravity will not be your friend.

As I understand the shift linkage, I doubt this is an external linkage or oil issue, but I've been wrong before... plenty of times! :D People's definition of "rubbery" can vary a lot too.

slayersick344

TDI
2000 vw golf
Yes,i will check all that out. Im close to an engine oil change so i will probably go and get the oem tranny fluid while im at it. Many people say they have some trouble with other oils and oem works best for them. So i think im going to play it safe. Im going to see if i have time to find something to use for the shifter cables adjustment this weekend

While im at it actually,have any of you had trouble with your car running fine,you stop at a store 5 minutes,and then it doesnt want to start? That happened to me today. I cranked it a few times and it didnt go. So i waited a couple more minutes,checked the oil real quick and looked under to make sure a fuel line wasnt gushing out diesel. All looked ok.I tried cranking it once more and it started normal,like nothing was going on.and of course,it had to happen on my trip to work :rolleyes: I doubt its the fuel filter because it was running perfectly fine,no shuddering or jerking.i didnt see any CEL go on.and i believe these have a lift pump,not an electric fuel pump right? Maybe i should browse around,see if i can find an answer.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Your car (2000 TDI in signature ?) has no lift pump (which IS an electric fuel pump), just the suction type VE injection pump-unless it's been modded and one was added, but not likely.
2004 and up have a lift pump in the tank.