BRM power needs

gilberjj

TDI
I have been trying to gather as much info as possible, but I've not found any definitive answers or results from anybody with an mk5 (2005.5+) jetta tdi with the dsg (or any tranny for that matter). One of the main reasons I got the tdi was for the fuel mileage, and I've read that they tow well. In short, I now have a small 4x8 trailer that I tow my drag motorcycle to the track with, and I was surprised how much that affects my car. I expected it to have a lot more power while towing, but it seems quite labored. How much power can you upgrade a BRM tdi with the dsg, and what do you recommend? I don't want to have to do an upgraded clutch, bigger turbo, or bigger injectors. I am willing to throw on a boost gauge, straight through muffler, and I already have an AEM cone air filter. I want this vehicle to be around for a long time, and I have a feeling that the car will get much better fuel mileage while towing if I can add another 30-40 hp. Thoughts????

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
gilberjj said:
I have been trying to gather as much info as possible, but I've not found any definitive answers or results from anybody with an mk5 (2005.5+) jetta tdi with the dsg (or any tranny for that matter). One of the main reasons I got the tdi was for the fuel mileage, and I've read that they tow well. In short, I now have a small 4x8 trailer that I tow my drag motorcycle to the track with, and I was surprised how much that affects my car. I expected it to have a lot more power while towing, but it seems quite labored. How much power can you upgrade a BRM tdi with the dsg, and what do you recommend? I don't want to have to do an upgraded clutch, bigger turbo, or bigger injectors. I am willing to throw on a boost gauge, straight through muffler, and I already have an AEM cone air filter. I want this vehicle to be around for a long time, and I have a feeling that the car will get much better fuel mileage while towing if I can add another 30-40 hp. Thoughts????
The best bang for the buck on those car is always tuning, but since you're towing with it you probably want to think about an EGT gauge. The stock turbo normally limits you to about 140hp while still keeping some semblance of boost control. Some cars are worse than others though.

gilberjj

TDI
vwmikel said:
The best bang for the buck on those car is always tuning, but since you're towing with it you probably want to think about an EGT gauge. The stock turbo normally limits you to about 140hp while still keeping some semblance of boost control. Some cars are worse than others though.
What kind of tuning control would you recommend? And can the dsg handle that kind of power?

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
gilberjj said:
What kind of tuning control would you recommend? And can the dsg handle that kind of power?
Well, I haven't seen the DSG break yet with just tuning. And by tuning I mean chiptuning/remapping/chipping...whatever you want to call it.