www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old April 9th, 2018, 21:22   #3466
James & Son
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

reply, definitely don't change. TDT is a great highway oil. It just would not work for me. I just went back and noticed I have said the same thing on your first oil change before you gave me the highway info. Short trips not the best. I need something that can handle start up wear and under 1800 rpm cam wear. For your situation don't even think about changing now that you know it is working for you.
James & Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2018, 19:54   #3467
DerekG
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Towing:26-32.6 City:34-38 Hwy:45-54.2

Latest report for the Golf. Currently at ~68k miles, full delete was done @ 30k miles.

I labeled which oil I used at the top of each column. They are all 507 oils btw.

Oil Report April 2018 by DerekG710, on Flickr

Last edited by DerekG; April 10th, 2018 at 20:06.
DerekG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2018, 04:18   #3468
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Why the shorter OCI? Your numbers support 10k miles easily.

2015 GSW TDI S DSG - FrostHeater
2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8 tuned
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2018, 15:57   #3469
DerekG
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post
Why the shorter OCI? Your numbers support 10k miles easily.
I had planned to compare all the 507 oils and since I changed the Castrol "early" I based the rest on that usage interval (I messed up on the M1 because I forgot to change it before a 1500 mile highway road trip). I didn't know how well they would all fair if I went straight to 10k OCI's so I changed early for that reason.

Now that I have gone through most of the 507 oils I'm still planning on keeping 7-8k intervals mainly because my driving situation has changed. With our second child due next month most road trips/visiting family 3 hours away will be in the 2018 Tiguan we just bought. The Golf will probably see less highway miles since my commute to school is 6 miles of 45mph roads. Other than day trips/weekend trips to go mountain biking alone; most of my long distance driving will be in the Tig now.
Old April 15th, 2018, 10:49   #3470
James & Son
Veteran Member

I am going out on a limb here but it looks like the M1 is your best oil here. Usually your carry over wear is in the 15% range and look at the drop in aluminum. What M1 are you using and driving conditions.
Old April 18th, 2018, 13:08   #3471
DerekG
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James & Son View Post
I am going out on a limb here but it looks like the M1 is your best oil here. Usually your carry over wear is in the 15% range and look at the drop in aluminum. What M1 are you using and driving conditions.

Let me go back and check my notes/journal when I get home and I can tell you the type of driving I did on that OCI.

I used the Mobil 1 ESP 507.00
Old April 18th, 2018, 14:13   #3472
James & Son
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekG View Post
Let me go back and check my notes/journal when I get home and I can tell you the type of driving I did on that OCI.
I used the Mobil 1 ESP 507.00
Research shows that boron is an anti-oxidant as well as a anti-wear.

https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/ge...FULLTEXT01.pdf

go to internet page 48 plus
some very interesting tables on ZDDP and Boron concentrations.
Old April 18th, 2018, 15:33   #3473
DerekG
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James & Son View Post
Research shows that boron is an anti-oxidant as well as a anti-wear.
https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/ge...FULLTEXT01.pdf
go to internet page 48 plus
some very interesting tables on ZDDP and Boron concentrations.
That's pretty cool.

"There are two possible reasons for the efficient antiwear performance of the boron compounds as compared with ZnDTP. First, these boron compounds contain only two sulphur atoms while ZnDTP contains four sulphur atoms in the molecule.

The excess of sulphur in additive or base oil may cause chemical corrosion of steel surfaces. Second, boron compounds contain the alkyl borate group in the molecule that enhances the antiwear ability of these additives and inhibits corrosive actions of sulphur even at higher concentrations of these additives in
the base oil."

So I checked my records and it looks like ~4000 miles of that OCI was with a fully loaded car and roof box, ~1000 miles of towing my ~1700# Scamp and the rest was just a normal mix of city and highway unloaded.

Also, related to the post post I quoted of your's about the M1. I did the emissions delete at 30k miles, so the ~9k mile run on the Mobil 1 was the first full OCI of the car completely deleted. I think I'm going to try M1 again next time and see how it compares.

Last edited by DerekG; April 18th, 2018 at 15:37.
DerekG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 15:49   #3474
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Latest UOA for my 15 GSW. Switched from Castrol to Total for this one. No reason other than it was the cheapest kit from ID Parts. I'm completely stock tune with all emissions gear still in place. Thrilled with the report.

2015 GSW TDI S DSG - FrostHeater
2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8 tuned
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2018, 20:46   #3475
South Jordan

Default Very useful thread

As a mechanic, I find this topic very useful! Thank you very much! My auto repair shop needed to know this!
South Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 20:26   #3476
jerrymander
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 286 lbft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrogers1 View Post
That does look great! Some questions for you...

1) What is the unitID? Inquiring minds what to know.
2) Assumption is that this was Castrol LL03 VW oil?
3) Assumption is that you have stop-sale car, so do you know if the dealer changed, before you bought, the factory fill oil or not? (I confirmed mine was changed before taking delivery)

I'm due for my first and only dealer oil change (free is free and I actually like the dealership and service group) next week and then my plan is to send a sample at 10k as my baseline (it should be which should be totally free of "break-in" metals) and switch to Schaeffers 8008 and see how the next 10k analysis looks.

In my MK5 CRD the VW 507 oil was usually trashed after, right after, the 10k run so I've never really been a fan. My DPF had failed so I was lucky enough to get to switch over to the great Mobil Delvac ESP 1 oil (ran it on my MK5 PD for years) in my car for the last 70k mile of my ownership until it went back to VW and I got my stop-sale GSW. When I chatted with a pioneer on the VW valve train design and oiling system, and he recommends Schaeffers over Delvac, I had to give it a shot. I grabbed me a case and will proceed to pile on as many miles as fast as I can to get the next 10k done. Lol What can I say, I like to drive and I can't wait to get my Fumoto valve installed, Schaeffers oil in and a UOA done.
Didn't see your post until just now, rarely visit the forum. I have a second analysis I can post tomorrow when I get home.

My unit ID is POS Golf because I am underwhelmed by the Mk7 in comparison to the Mk6. Little things bug the hell out of me, especially the finishing quality of the vehicle. Rattles galore. I am guessing this was Castrol because it was a stop-sale. I have no idea if the dealership changed the oil because they - O'Steen in Jacksonville - are scumlords. I just wanted my car. I'm glad you found a dealership you like. O'Steen put 505 oil in my Mk6 and I never returned.

I changed the oil with Mobil 1 ESP 5w30, then Shell Rotella T6 5w40 after I got my emission system neutered.
jerrymander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2018, 14:00   #3477
Ooga

Fuel Economy: 38/43

Ooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 10:06   #3478
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Never high enough but always trying for more.... (See signature)

First UOA after switching to Schaeffers 8008, looking forward to the second one to see how well the numbers shake out after being away from the LL03 for good.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mrrogers1; August 19th, 2018 at 10:10.
Mrrogers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 16:59   #3479
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2014- 1168km per tank

Oh dear, doesn't look good. Emissions recall isnt agreeing with it. Emission recall done at 51k kms

3rd oil sample dealers gave me wrong oil. 2009+ oil apperently is a bit different
Dannyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2018, 22:57   #3480
tdiman
Veteran Member

Is there anyone adding oil between services ? Mine used a half quart in 8000 miles not to concerned I would think that’s in normal range so where I’m going with this is how does that affect oil analysis ?And is any one doing 20,000 miles oil changes by looking at these results look like a no brainer.
tdiman is offline   Reply With Quote