Average cost to change out DMF

Dominicdx

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
VW shop told me I need to replace the DMF.

Just want to see what average prices were?

Besides the DMF do I need to change out anything else or put new bolts?

And is my local Auto store okay for parts or is there a specific place to buy them?

Fort Worth, TX

2006 Jetta

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Is this on a DSG or manual? Either way, the cost would be around a grand if you're paying an independent shop, maybe a little less.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We charge a flat 6 hours labor to R&R all VAG transverse FWD gearboxes. I think technically the labor time to do a flywheel on a BRM/DSG is 6.5 hr.

We use a new Luk part, in a Luk box, from an aftermarket supplier. I forget what the price is for the part, but I think the whole thing out the door is about $1300-1400 all said and done. I do a lot of them.

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
I got my flywheel from Rockauto shipped from Europe $300. Takes me 4-5 hours

mikeb95

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 TDI pkg. 2, DSG white/beige
Check your local shop before you buy....the shop that did mine would buy from their vendor and only install OEM brand....they stated it was because ppl wanted to buy cheap DMFs from ebay and have them install it while giving them a warranty on the repair/part which they didn't control.

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
So is the part I need LUK DMF126? Im told I need one of these, there is a noise coming from that area, sounds like broken springs or something when you turn the car off.
2014JSW TDI2.0CR DSG

Shops around here in Lexington, KY are saying its 8.5 hours to do the job. Hell I saw someone on youtube do it in 45min-1.5hr. $1390 to get the job done in lexington, Ky.

Last edited:

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
~$1400 is the going price, however finding someone competent to do the job is the hard part. I cant do them in 1.5 hour, It would take me about 4 hours at my best to do one. and that's if everything goes perfect. Then you got to ask yourself about a fluid change cause about half of customers need that service as well. Then the occasional CV boot torn, and even wheel bearings.

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
~$1400 is the going price, however finding someone competent to do the job is the hard part. I cant do them in 1.5 hour, It would take me about 4 hours at my best to do one. and that's if everything goes perfect. Then you got to ask yourself about a fluid change cause about half of customers need that service as well. Then the occasional CV boot torn, and even wheel bearings.
holy smokes, Amazon Garage is telling me the wrong parts. lol LuK DMF 126 which is the right part but Amazon says it doesnt fit, but the LuK DMF 123 does. I wish they would fix this. DMF126 is the correct part for DSG from all the info I can find.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Why not just bring it to a reputable shop and let them source the necessary part? Do you try and shop for your own pickles for a hamburger at McDonald's?

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
This is not a job for the light hearted...It requires a good amount of 'Eurospec' tools..plus you are now narrowing down your choice of shops by supplying your own parts? You can get a warrantee and job well done by taking it to a professional. But you have to find the proper shop..