The Trip Thread

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Home at 22:00. 3,901.14 miles since my departure 10 days ago according to the GPS.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Having breakfast at the Bomber with Jason's parents. Settling up with the hotel when we get back, then pack up the car and head home!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
I got home at 7pm last night. Total distance to and from the fest for me was 3,998 miles by air, 36 miles in a rental Malibu, and 24 miles in a Prius Taxi. Thankfully all the driving around at the fest was in TDIs and I'm back home and driving my TDI again.:)

Lug_Nut

TDI
And here's what the Sonett looks like now:

and this is what happens to a 43 year old tire that sat in the sun just a bit too long:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Wow!

I saw the picture before reading the caption and thought that happened while you were towing it home. :eek:

Nice progress! You've definitely been busy.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Great! Though I definitely noticed the difference coming back with the load of parts I was (still am) carrying for BoraParts!! :D

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Great! Though I definitely noticed the difference coming back with the load of parts I was (still am) carrying for BoraParts!! :D
Think how bad it would have been if growler, myself, and the gentleman from Iowa hadn't loaded up......

I assume Aaron and the Passat wagon brigade are making a pit stop at your place on the way home??

I was looking at that wagon and thinking how much I liked the color!!!!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Think how bad it would have been if growler, myself, and the gentleman from Iowa hadn't loaded up......

I assume Aaron and the Passat wagon brigade are making a pit stop at your place on the way home??

I was looking at that wagon and thinking how much I liked the color!!!!
Thanks!

Actually we'll meet at the Bay Area GTG in Oct to transfer them.

Lug_Nut

TDI
It's been nine years (already?!?) since I brought the yellow (originally factory red) Sonett back to New England, and I've FINALLY gotten it and my red (originally factory blue) Sonett blended together, running and passing inspection! It's been a long, often frustrating, definitely not inexpensive, journey, but I'm very pleased that the results have been much more than satisfactory.

There was a rolling (Covid social distancing) car show a week after I got it back together. It's on camera from the 1:30 to the 2:00 minute marks in this clip.

joyjoy22

TDI
2015 Volkswagen Beetle
It's been nine years (already?!?) since I brought the yellow (originally factory red) Sonett back to New England, and I've FINALLY gotten it and my red (originally factory blue) Sonett blended together, running and passing inspection! It's been a long, often frustrating, definitely not inexpensive, journey, but I'm very pleased that the results have been much more than satisfactory.

There was a rolling (Covid social distancing) car show a week after I got it back together. It's on camera from the 1:30 to the 2:00 minute marks in this clip.
Wow, you did a great job bringing this classic vehicle to life. It took you a while, but it was worth it. I don't see any rust on that video and the decaying wheels and tires are now gone.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Two questions:

Is that a Sonett II or a Sonnet V4? I always wanted to get a Sonett III but never was able to do so. However I still have the Miata I bought in July 1989.

Was the fourth car in the parade an AMC Javelin or an AMX? I think it is an AMX but wasn't sure.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Mine's a Sonett V4. Little difference other than the engine, the bellhousing, and clutch actuation. 750 cc triple two-stroke and cable operated clutch in the Sonett II (1966 only, 256(?) examples built), 1500 cc 60 degree V4 four stroke with hydraulic clutch in the V4 (1966 through 1969, with 1649 built over that 4 year time).
Fourth in the video was an AMX, 5th was a Javelin. The AMX was set up as a street legal drag car. My interest that day was primarily a shake-down of my recently completed work, but that Corvair was a real distradtion for me.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Mine's a Sonett V4. Little difference other than the engine, the bellhousing, and clutch actuation. 750 cc triple two-stroke and cable operated clutch in the Sonett II (1966 only, 256(?) examples built), 1500 cc 60 degree V4 four stroke with hydraulic clutch in the V4 (1966 through 1969, with 1649 built over that 4 year time).
Fourth in the video was an AMX, 5th was a Javelin. The AMX was set up as a street legal drag car. My interest that day was primarily a shake-down of my recently completed work, but that Corvair was a real distradtion for me.
Friend of yours, Jon? Seen earlier today at the Westerly Yacht Club's car show...
IMG_4631.JPG

Lug_Nut

TDI
I don't associate a known owner with that car. Did you see a name of the exhibitor?
Sonett III, '70 or '71 by the bumpers, '71 or later by the wheels. Driving lights are an add-on, maybe the early bumpers are retrofitted onto a later model. There were over 20,000 of the Sonett III built and the small bumper years are more desired.
Oh, the left and right wiper arms are swapped.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
No, there wasn't anyone around the car and I didn't get the owner's name on the document.